10 Gallon w/pics updated 05/03/09 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gallon w/pics updated 05/03/09

So this is my first real planted tank, and any comments or suggestions are welcome. I have had a 4 gallon finnex with some flame moss in it for a while now, but thats about the extent of my planted tank experience. This is a 10 gallon aga with the top rim removed. The substrate is mineralized topsoil with eco-complete on top of it. The light is a Current Dual Satellite (40W x 2). I have a paintball co2 setup, and a zoo-med 501 filter running just ceramic media and filter floss. Right now it has the stock pipes on it, but I plan on getting some nice lily pipes in the future. So far I just have some Anubias that my sister gave me, and some flame moss as far as the plants go. I did just place an order with aqua botanic, so later this week I will be doing some major planting. I have about ten red cherry shrimp, 2 ottos and 3 cory cats, 2 of which are albino. First, I tied some driftwood to a piece of a brick.
Dont worry, I took the tape off after I tied it up with fishing line.

FTS

Corys

Last edited by btmarquis; 05-03-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: update title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would do some research before putting a brick in my fish tank because they are made with chemicals and materials that may leach and eventually hurt your fish (like lime), also they could affect your Ph. I don't know for sure that your brick is toxic, but I would look it up to make sure, or use a rock instead to be safe! The tank looks very nice though! Great start!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstoregirl View Post
I would do some research before putting a brick in my fish tank because they are made with chemicals and materials that may leach and eventually hurt your fish (like lime), also they could affect your Ph. I don't know for sure that your brick is toxic, but I would look it up to make sure, or use a rock instead to be safe! The tank looks very nice though! Great start!
This is good advice, however, I took it from my 55 gallon cichlid tank that has been running for about 3 years, so it shouldn't cause any problems.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:58 AM
Algae Grower

Looking good so far. I would suggest adding a few more of each cory when you get around to it, they're a lot happier and more playful when they can shoal together in larger groups (4-6). Otos tend to like groups of three, so you could afford to get one more of those, too. Should be really pretty once you fill it in, I hope you keep posting updates.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 04:06 AM

Looks like a really good start. I will be rescaping my 10 gallon and using similar filtration. One thing with these 10 gallons that I have learned is that you have to stick to plants that grow slowly and do not too quickly grow and break the surface or scaping and trimming can become a real chore. Some pygme nana, glosso, or pearlweed (HM), or marsilia minuta for a carpet would look nice. But I just realized, your bottom dwellers may run rough shot over the carpet so that may not work. Very smail java ferns to the background and around the sides would stay short and look good. A crypt may also be a good choice. Some floaters(25% of the surface in the form of water lettuce or cardamine lyrata) would also work well as an algae preventative. I will be curious to see how the light fixture works for you. I have been eying one of those for a long time, but wanted to get pressurized c02 before going with such a high light fixture. I love Amano Shrimp and would recommend them to anyone setting up a 10 gallon planted tank. They don't place a huge bioload on the tank and in my experience extremely efficient consumers of residual algae and dead plant matter.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Looks like a really good start. I will be rescaping my 10 gallon and using similar filtration. One thing with these 10 gallons that I have learned is that you have to stick to plants that grow slowly and do not too quickly grow and break the surface or scaping and trimming can become a real chore. Some pygme nana, glosso, or pearlweed (HM), or marsilia minuta for a carpet would look nice. But I just realized, your bottom dwellers may run rough shot over the carpet so that may not work. Very smail java ferns to the background and around the sides would stay short and look good. A crypt may also be a good choice. Some floaters(25% of the surface in the form of water lettuce or cardamine lyrata) would also work well as an algae preventative. I will be curious to see how the light fixture works for you. I have been eying one of those for a long time, but wanted to get pressurized c02 before going with such a high light fixture.
Thanks for comment Homer. I ordered some Myriophyllum pinnatum, Giant hairgrass, and some Limnophila aromatica hippuroides to play around with as backround plants. I also ordered some dwarf hairgrass as a possible carpet. Here are some pics of the backround plants, so you wont have to go searching if your not familiar with them.

Limnophila aromatica hippuroides:

Myriophyllum pinnatum
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My plants came in today! I ordered them from Aquabotanic, and they look great. So after an hour or so of planting, here are some pictures. Let me know what you think. The only problem that I had was planting the Limnophila aromatica hippuroides. I couldn't get it to stay in the substrate, so left the lead weights on it, just until I find some small rocks to tie them to.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very very nice. I love albino cats. I have seven in one tank. They don't shoal at all right now. Think maybe when they get bigger then well. At least I hope so.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to suebe333
very nice ,, I cant wait until my plant package gets here :sigh:

45G long - Planted- Guppies,cory's,Panda Gara
20G high -brigs,Gouramis,cory's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
planted;RCS, albino cory's,& albino bushynose plecos
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its been a week since planting, so I figured I would give an update. There is good news and bad news. First of all, the plants are growing like crazy. I see dwarf hairgrass popping up all over the place, and the backround plants are at the surface. The bad news is that I am starting to get hair algae all over the place. I new going into this, that I would be battling algae, so here it goes. I read some threads about hair algae and decided to try cranking the co2 and dosing some excel. I have only been doing this for 2 days, so I don't have any results yet. I must say that I think I didn't have the co2 high enough at first. Now that I cranked it up, the plants are really giving off a lot of tiny o2 bubbles. If this doesn't work, I think I may invest in some amano shrimp. Here are some updated pics, let me know what you think.
FTS

Oto

Hair Algae
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update. Tank has now been running for about 6 weeks. In the first few weeks I had some thread algea issues, but Ive gotten that all sorted out. I put the light up on its legs, rather than being right on the glass, and I dialed in the co2. Now everything is running good. Here some pics that I took 2 weeks ago before I trimmed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by btmarquis; 05-03-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: pics
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
what does this tank look like now? Your hairgrass carpet filled in so nice and the aromatica looked great

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Don't think he's here any more dude.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Really dude? What makes you say that dude?

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Last activity was a year ago.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode