My 260 Vincenza planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 260 Vincenza planted tank

So I decided to make this my first post. I had a planted 25 gallon tank for 6 months until I upgraded to a 70gallon bowfront tank. When I was using the 25 gallon I had no problems using a 40watt t5 light, vitamin sticks, and seachem flourish phosphorus, iron, excel, and trace. All my plants flourished and did well considering it was CO2 free.

Now that im running a larger tank, Im using the following:

2 X 34" 39W T5 glo lamps
300 watt heater
405 external fluval filter
70 Aqua Clear blower
regular gravel
all plants have a vitamin stick
regular dosing with seachem flourish phosphorus, iron, excel, and trace

I find that most of my plants are not growing, and arent producing any runners etc.. Alot of the leaf plants have wilted tips and some algae on them.

- I have been thinking about changing my gravel to flourite (not sure if I should buy the fine stuff or the regular gravel size.

- I have been looking around to maybe upgrade my lighting. I have not been able to find higher wattage bulbs. ( my light is on 10hrs a day)

- thinking of dosing with CO2 but from reading it looks complicated and Im worried I might lose my fish.

Any comments and suggestions are welcomed

Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Joe,

As a primary necessity of plants for life, carbon is essential in any planted aquarium. Seachem Excel is a decent source of essential carbon for you plants in a small tank, but it's hardly the best method for use in such a large setup as this one. If I were in your situation, I would make it a plan to eventually upgrade to a pressurized CO2 system for this tank. It is also worth noting that substrate is a primary, essential ingredient to a successful planted tank. Many people are capable of growing beautiful plants in gravel substrate, but it's always been my understanding that a nutrient enriched substrate (like eco-complete) is a great foundation for a beautifully planted tank. I hope that you have better luck in the future. I bet you'll end up with an amazing planted tank. Take care and I'll be looking forward to more pics as time goes by.

Charles

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
The essentials you need:

(1) Good Lighting - You are running only 1 watt/gal. Not much will grow under that except for low light plants and you wouldn't need CO2 for those plants. You want to try to get 3 watts/gal for the plants you have and bulbs with a 6,700K to 10,000K range

(2) Good Substrate - Gravel won't get it done. You need to get eco-complete, Aquasoil or minerialized soil.

(3) CO2 - A pressurized system is the best but also expensive with the intial cost but will save money in the long run. DIY CO2 can be done for a while but with your tank size you would need about 3 bottles to get enough CO2 for your tank. Believe me, DIY CO2 will work, it is just a hassel to change the solution every 2 weeks.

(4) Flow - Make sure you have good water flow in your tank to disperse the CO2 and nutrients and try not to have any dead spots.

(5) Fert Dosing Routine - Make sure you are getting your plants the nutrients they need. Even though the Seachem line of products are good, they will burn a hole in your pocket over the long haul. I would switch over to using dry ferts which are less expensive and last longer.

(6) Water changes and filter maintence - Water changes at least once a week are essential as well as keeping your filter clean.

(7) Enjoying your tank and hobby - Don't let all this start making you feel like it is a job to have a tank and not a hobby. These essentials will make for a great looking tank that you can sit back, relax and enjoy!

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks for your advice....I justt purchased a few bags of eco complete and flourite. I will be swapping everything out within the next 2 weeks.

Once this task is complete, I will be upgrading my light, and looking into C02 options.

I will keep this thread updated

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode