Mysterious - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Mysterious

The stand is similar to an ADA stand, but my own style. 36"x18"x42".

Tank: Custom 36"x18"x16" total rimless made with 1/2" glass. (glasscages.com)

Lighting: 4x75 watt spiral compact flourescents. 6500k on for 3 hours for 2-4 weeks, then 5 hours. Later going 2x150 Metal Halide from fishneedit.com

Filtration:2 Eheim 2213's

Co2: 10lb. catalina cylinder 2bps.

Hardscape: Manzanita and locally collected rocks...lots of rocks...

Floura:
Needle fern
bolbitis
anubias nana "petite"
fizzidens

Fauna:
20-30 white cloud minnows (or ember tetras) not sure which yet.
4-6 ottos

Things I still need: another eheim 2213, maintenance tools(specifically thin scissors), 3 stainless or brushed nickle soap despensers for ferts, flow pipes for intake and output, and a background.(let me know if I need anything else)

Pics really are coming soon, just gotta head home and upload them.
Still planting, so excuse the current emptiness.

Imputs welcome

Regards,
Stephen Rountree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If I were you, I'd go with at least 6 otos - they appreciate company, and will be more active and visible with more fish.

Sounds like this will be very pretty - I look forward to seeing your lots of rocks!
post #3 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The rocks serve mostly as the foundation and are covered a lot, but they are still visible...I plan to go collect more, as a five gallon bucket full was apparently not enough for me...muahaha!

post #4 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
How many rocks are you going to put in that glass box? Sounds like it is going to be awesome. Are you going to heat the tank or leave it unheated for the minnows?

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The pics, though not professoinal in quality, still give you an idea.

To all stem plant owners, I need lots of rotalas to go behind the ferns. The ferns you see there are only half of what I own, so i can trade lots of needle leaf ferns.

enough talk... pics:

And a lot more ferns have to go in, but at 1am last night i hat to call it quits, so tonight hopefully, i will finish the initial planting and top it off.

Enjoy
Stephen Rountree
post #6 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I want a whole lot of rocks, because as you can see, they get covered up a lot. I collected them from an old stream bed, where there are Tons and tons of them literally...some as big as a car, some as big as your fingernail...i just need some more big ones, so I don't have to stack little ones on top of each other.

Oh and i never heat my tanks...they do fine. I left my window open during the snow(accidentally) and the others did fine in the 50 degree temps for a day or so. usually the room temp tank is plenty for the fishy friends.

Again, the planting is very thin, as i have two more pitchers full of ferns to put in. what is in the tank is like one handful...i got about 8 more to go in...though i prolly won't use all of them.
post #7 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rountreesj View Post
Pics really are coming soon, just gotta head home and upload them.
Still planting, so excuse the current emptiness.
I've been waiting for these pics for quite some time now....so I'm pretty stoked about them being posted (talk about building anticipation - how long have you been working on this,...5 months now?).

No doubt your tank will be quite exceptional, and no need to apologize for a half-empty (or more) tank; plants do, after all, take time to grow! Just glad you got the pictures up!

This thing's really going to be a gem once you start seeing some growth....
post #8 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

well i have been planning for about 6 months now. I HAD it about ready two months ago, but that DIY tank was not safe, so i went overboard and got 1/2" glass. It doesn't look very good to me plants wise, but I guess i am used to my 55 that had tons of plants. And I'm not sure about the whole anubias-in-sand deal...If all else fails, I can sell them and replace them with fissidens on rocks.

I also hate the low output spiral lights I can't wait till I can get some MH glory goin on.
post #9 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I ♥ BBA!

I can see why you want more rocks now. I like the layout. What kind of rotalas are you going to put in the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i want sp green, colorata, and rotundifolia
post #11 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (108/100%)
Well Bout time, You have just been talking and talking about this tank. We finally get pics. LOL. It looks great, how thick is the glass on the glass cages tanks. That still looks pretty thick especially at the bottom, it looks like it is double glass on the bottom. Will the MH be over kill for the Needle leaf? I do remember when my Needle leaf was all green and not algaefied, it was definately a sight. Is that something red behind the DW already, Kind of looks like a plant already back there?

Are those 2 tom minis on the right side? HAHA.

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---
Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
post #12 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rountreesj View Post
i want sp green, colorata, and rotundifolia
If I weren't battling algae right now, I'd send you some. That will look sweet in this tank. I can't wait to see updates.

post #13 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
I really like it!!
Something about Anubias tucked b/w rocks just looks soo cool!

post #14 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah...the more i look at it, the more i think i will try to bunch the anubias up more into maybe 3 groups and sell the extras(or trade for rotalas)they just look too spread out, which makes them look sickly for some reason.

Reckles, the glass i got them to use was extra thick for the size tank: it is 1/2" pane glass, and double reinforced on the bottom. I feel safe keeping it 3 feet from my bed now. just one toms, the other one is out of commision cause I just havnt tested it since i fixed it.

And by the way Glasscages.com is pretty good quality.their seams are nice and MY tank has nice polished edges. there is some silicone squeeze out on the bottom, but who cares right.? But their customer service sucks by me. So if you're close, i recommend them if you are patient and laid back.

I'm gonna go get more rocks tonight weather permitting... then I hope I can incorporate them into the current scape w/o disturbing too much.

keep the questions and comments/critiques coming.
Stephen Rountree
post #15 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
That's a very good start. I agree extra rocks would be good - I think it would accentuate your hardscape.

On another note, your shorts are very shiny and very red.

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode