my new tank and frist shot at a tank jornal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (36/100%)
my new tank and frist shot at a tank jornal

i got a great deal on a used current Solana tank. :::click here for pic:: i am getting to lights the 55w 2c light :/ and the 150wat HQI with the tank and the stand for 1/2 of what the tank and the stand costs but i honestly don't know if i like any of the lights. i might end up changeing them.

150 watt over a 34 gall tank... to much for me to handel. pluse i all ready have a 150 watt coral life pendent laying in my storage.
55watt would be perfect but it is a 2c :: i am guessing that means 2 circles:: an i can only find them in 50/50
i have a 96 watt quad retro fit kit in my storage to those i can only find in 50/50 and 6700K both not my fav. i would really like 3-4 18 watt t5 feel like that would be perfect. ::any one want to trade let me know ::

i allready got big plans for this tank. think i might try to keep it low tech ... but every tank i have i allways say that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i love to watch grass grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by god91234; 03-05-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so this guy called me this morning at like 9:00 am, Witch is WAY WAY to early for me..... so i called him back on my break he wants to keep the 150wat HQI light and give me some money off on the tank i might do it and use the money i save to get/build a better light. been looking around 20" lights are hard to find current has some 20" t5 but i can always get anther 70wat Hqi but if i get a hqi than i need co2 ... and than its not a low tech.... any one has any ideas on lighting? i want it to be 55-60 watts lowish light but still enough to grow the plants i like. a GE 9325K 55 watt bulb is 20.7 inches may be i can shove that in to a fixture small enough to not look bad?

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

my hard scape:

ok got it to day let him keep the HQI light and i gave him a 96 watt quad retro fit that i had laying around.... all in all a very nice tank the pendent light that i have looks so TACKY... i am goign to paint it black i feel likt that will help tell i can figer out the light i am going to get for it....
i took out the protein skimmer ::duh:: and i put a 9watt uv sterilizer in that camber ::so i guess no excel in this tank.may be diy co2? ::
i am on a boil water notice tell Monday so i am debating rather to fill it up or not? if i run the uv and put carbon in the filter i feel like it would be fine and i want to start cycling it.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so i was thinking why am i have a hard time finding a light.... the reason is cause the size i have i don't like any of the Colors i have to pick from, than i was like the only bulbs that i like is 55watt. than i was thinking y can't i use a 55watt, its to big.... can i make the tank biger?

YES i can its a cube so their for the length from corner to corner is bigger than the sides :::the lenth of a side time the square route of two:: so i can make a light in an "X" shape a 55watt on one "\" and moon light one the other "/" ... not all i have to do is find tiem to plan it out better.... find time to build it .... and i will be good to go!

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so i really like the 55 watt "x" idea i don't think i have the skill to build it so i am trying to find some one i can pay too do it.
i never said what kinda fish i am putting in this tank i am going for CPD. i always see them in smaller tanks. i have 6 gal with some in it. and i like watching them a lot. but i feel like in a larger tank they would look like little butterflys in a garden.... i mean manly butterflys.
any one know if i keep them well feed if they will still eat their eggs/young? i would like to get a school of like 20 .... but i am not rich so i though i might make some... my LFS had 2 more, and i am getting 6 more from chris127 when my tank gets all cycled probably by the end of the week if all gos well ::i seeded it with bio ball from my other tanks::

also going to put in some RCS to add some interest to the tank it. trying to stay with small animals in a medium sized tank.

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to suebe333
very cool

45G long - Planted- Guppies,cory's,Panda Gara
20G high -brigs,Gouramis,cory's

-
planted;RCS, albino cory's,& albino bushynose plecos
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

All planted

Looks really blue cause i am using the 55 watt light that cam with it, tell i can get the reflector for my other light.

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ordered moon lights should be here sat and hope fully the reflectore 50/50 light is making me mad....i won a raok!!! getting some star grass and some Taiwan moss for this tank

i am making the x-mass moss in to what my girlfriend is calling plantshabobs this is why
i saw some one else do the same thing. i though it was a really good idea and it will be a nice looking "breeding mop" if i get serous about breeding the CPD.. still trying to work out a time that i am not working/going to school to get the other 6 CPD...
so far i have
livestock
7 CPD
2 Cherry shrimp
5 olive Nerite snails

plants
Hemianthus micranthemoides for my foreground and i am going to get it to grow around the "rock mountain" so it looks like a solid rock being broken up by roots

Anubias barteri 'Petite' ::have to have this in very tank was my first plant ever::

Najas sp. Roraima

Hygrophyla corymbosa var. salicifolia ::not happy with this as a back ground plant taking it out soon::

Echinodorus 'vesuvius'

Plan:
Move the hygo out! put the Vesuvius/plantshabobs where the hygo is and than put the star grass in the spot of the Vesuvius. THAN the Taiwan moss is going to go on the ledge in the front to make it look more solid. hope full this all works out well.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok it was like xmass to day, i got my reflector in the mail, my moonlights, and my raok! so amazing ... ::thanks again imeridian, best looking moss and star grass i have seen in a while::

i have fish ADD......... i want a new fish for this tank "Red Picta" from Adrian at swampriveraquatics i have got endlers from him be for all ways top notch i might get some... them and the CPD should co exist peacefully enough, until i find out which ones i like better ::i have always been a live bearer lover don't ask me why its a long story::

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so i took off the lock line return, put on a hydro flo i had "laying around",it looks good. i realy love these things a lot really helps circulation.

Plants are going good. i got 12 CPD in their now all doing very well they where a little skittish to begin with but are getting more bold. been reading over on celestialpearldanio.com to find out how to breed them doesn't look that hard but i never had a lot of luck breeding any thing but livebearers and shrimp... still going to try, once they get settled in.

i am seeing 4 or 5 cherry shrimp in their now and it looks like the female is berried, i might order 15 more to jump start things a little. but they are like red cockroaches, so i might just wait with only 4 it would be easier to isolate any "super red" genes than add some others later to help my colony's blood line.

only things that's gone wrong so far is that i have little bits of caldo. the algae that i h8 more than all others. I have nightmares about the stuff. the strands are small and seem to only on the HM that i have so i pulled the infected ones out hopefully i got it all .

The other thing that went wrong was the bulb i got from dr. fosters was broken/doa to me like 10 min to find out what was wrong. their was a TINY crack in it. even that is not a big deal they are send me anther one for no charge, just got to wait like a week.

All in all this tank has been one of the most problem free tank set ups hopefully it keeps going like this.

feel free to comment. i won't bite and would like some feed back if any one has any ideas or suggestions.

i am still looking for some one to build the "X" for the top so if any one reading his would like to help me send me a pm.

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Quote:
Originally Posted by god91234 View Post
::thanks again imeridian, best looking moss and star grass i have seen in a while::
You're welcome.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

just realized i didn't add any pic last time

they like to hide be hind the rocks.

hope they are doing what i think they are doing by that moss

now all i have to do is keep my hand out of the tank and let things grow ::always the hardest part::

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

i got an email back from Adrian he gave me some information about the live bears i think i am going to pass for now and focus on trying to breed the CPD....
i saw one of the males flash the stripe on his for head it was amazing. i think i am in love.
so i set up a 10 gal i had laying around with a tank divider and i am going to give the breeding thing ago here soon. also, I ordered some Golden Pearls food for the fry if i get some... lol wish me luck!!

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I really like your hardscape. Cool tank as well!
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so this is how my night went.... came home from work about 11pm to feed my fish be for i went out. I found 1 dead CPD. Me being the calm rational person that i am, Went digging threw the "tub of fish tank equipment" that i have looking for my 9X turbo twist UV sterilizer to put on this tank. i thought to my self "well this is goin g to strip the excel out of the water i will have to make a DIYco2 thing to marrow i guess"... so fast forward 3 hrs some how i took the CO2 off my main thank and move it to this one ::so much for low tech::. i know this tank was going to get co2 i just didn't think it would be in the first month.

on a side note i also have the 10 gal i am going to use to breed them all set up and ready to go just waiting on the Golden Pearl food to come in the mail.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode