macclellan's 30L - On the Run - "New" Tank "Journal" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
macclellan's 30L - On the Run - "New" Tank "Journal"

So, I finally got some free time on my hands and redid my 30L...here's the old tank before the rescape:

I'm using all the same hardware (30L tank, 96w AHS light plus 30" Coralife NO T5, Rena XP3, Elite Mini Powerhead/co2 'reactor' and 100w stealth heater), so the tank is not really new.
Same substrate (mix of eco complete, pool filter sand and TMS sand) + about 15# more TMS.
New hardscape (lace rock).
Same fish: Pair of Keyholes, Trio of Blue Eyed Cichlid fry, Pair of Albino Bristle-Nose Plecos, lone old Otto, school of Serpae tetras.
Less plants. Now just three species...Echinodorus tennellus 'micro' is dominant, but also Echinodorus angustifolia 'vesuvius' and Eleocharis sp. (US species...thin like E. parvula, but grows to 12" or so...got it from AaronT awhile back..really rad plant).

Plants chosen for simplicity (less is more) and ease of maintenance (all runner plants = no trimming).

Just finished planting today, just need to let it grow in and pray that the slopes hold...the E. tennellus roots should develop quickly and prevent erosion... I'll update in a few weeks to show some growth. So, this won't be much of a journal in that updates will be infrequent...

Yes...the 'floating' rock on the right looks weird. That won't be visible when the tennellus grows in. I 'scaped with what it will look like in ~2 months in mind...i.e. with a 2" carpet everywhere...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love your tank, before and after the re-scape. When it grows in a bit more it will be beautiful... well, it looks beautiful right now!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Not bad Mac. Not a fan of the lace, but thats a personal preference. Should be interesting at the two month mark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Great tank. Not sure which I like better, before or after. Ask me again in 2 months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Not a fan of the lace, but thats a personal preference.
Do you mean in general, or these pieces in particular?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
O, sorry Mac, no in general. They can be nice, but the excessive nooks and crannies is very "busy" in my opinion. Like I said though, this is a personal feeling.

Curious how the E. angustifolia 'vesuvius' will look filled in. Its a neat looking plant, but I have yet to really see it "fit in" with the theme of a tank.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I too am not typically a big fan of lace rock, but in this situation I think it will be really nice. I can tell that the scape itself won't be really busy, which leads me to believe that the heavily pitted rocks will provide a nice counterpoint to the simple, tranquil "soft-scape" that you've chosen. Very nice work - I'll be checking back often for updates!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Curious how the E. angustifolia 'vesuvius' will look filled in. Its a neat looking plant, but I have yet to really see it "fit in" with the theme of a tank.
I agree. It's just like downoi and erios...doesn't fit in almost all the time. Hopefully this tank can be an exception. Having less plant sps. should help that I think.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Looks cool man, I'm looking forward to seeing it grow in. I'm a fan of the way that middle plant grew in in the original incarnation.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
The tank turned out great! Can't wait for future updates.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks pretty cool and I can kind of see your 2 month mindshot myself. It should come out pretty nice. Like gmccreedy, I'm curious to see how the 'vesuvius' plays out.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I really like the lace rock. IN FACT I need one more. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:23 AM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Tank looks great Mac! I see where my E. Tennellus came from now.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Looks great!

never thought of using lace rock...I like it
and once the rock gets a little "weathered" they won't "pop" so much

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the comments... here's a roughly 1 month update. I must admit that it's nice to have a tank that requires no trimming or planting. I haven't put my hand inside once!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode