10 Gallon planted tank - 1st attempt. (56k+) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gallon planted tank - 1st attempt. (56k+)

I've been living in a rental while building a new home (one of the few in this economy) and have been waiting and waiting to get a tank. With a month and a half to go before the house is done I broke down and bought a 10 gallon. My rational is that it would be a great quarantine tank, and I can get the cycle out of the way and transfer filter media to the new tank to help skip cycling.

For this tank that was started on February 1, 2009 I have the following going on.
10 gallon
Aquaclear HOB (30, I think)
cheesy Wallyworld nonadjustable heater (yuck)
2-15 watt, 6500k compact fluorescent
1" topsoil (straight outta the bag) with 1" generic black sand/gravel

Plants are pretty basic and some not the best for this size tank.
Red Rubin (or maybe Melon Sword?)
Anacharis
HM
Amazon Sword
Pygmy Chain Sword

Recently broke down and had to get SOMETHING other than the snails that came with the plants. Went the cheap route and got three ghost shrimp. One got sucked into the filter the second day I had him and had to be euthanized on the third, which is why I moved the sponge filter to the intake. Replaced it with filter floss in the bio-ball bag. Numbers two and three both are very happy to be in their own tank and have already molted.

My goal for this tank is for it to be my learning tank. The last time I had tropical fish was about 17 years ago. Have never tried for live plants or a tank larger than a 20 gallon. The fish I had back then were stupid impulse-buy fish (Arrowanna anyone?), and I've never actually had a community tank with nice little happy fish. So, this will be my first planted community tank. Any advice will be happily read, and maybe even paid attention to! I'd like to go the low-tech non-Co2, non-fertilizer route as well.

Future (new house) tank will be somewhere from 50-90 gallons. The husband and I haven't quite decided yet. I was thinking of getting two more small Aquaclears, but I think that is just because I am comfortable with it. Substrate heater is something that I am intrigued by. Topsoil seems to be working great so far, but I think I'll go with more natural looking sand/gravel to top it with. The black looks wonderful, but you can see every dead leaf there is. Lighting has yet to be determined. Anything else?

Here is the 10 gallon. (Tried to size the image down... sorry if it didn't work.)

Last edited by Red River; 02-27-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red River View Post
For this tank that was started on February 1, 2009 I have the following going on.
10 gallon
Aquaclear HOB (30, I think)
cheesy Wallyworld nonadjustable heater (yuck)
2-15 watt, 6500k compact fluorescent
1" topsoil (straight outta the bag) with 1" generic black sand/gravel
if the heater is like the one at walmart i would suggest getting a new one: those things just don't work. is the topsoil aquarium safe? if its just potting soil, your going to have some problems.
Quote:
The fish I had back then were stupid impulse-buy fish (Arrowanna anyone?), and I've never actually had a community tank with nice little happy fish.
dang, my first impulse fish were 2 catfish(the big kind), in a 10g.
Quote:
Future (new house) tank will be somewhere from 50-90 gallons. The husband and I haven't quite decided yet. I was thinking of getting two more small Aquaclears, but I think that is just because I am comfortable with it. Substrate heater is something that I am intrigued by. Topsoil seems to be working great so far, but I think I'll go with more natural looking sand/gravel to top it with. The black looks wonderful, but you can see every dead leaf there is. Lighting has yet to be determined. Anything else?
depending on the size you get, i would invest in 1 or 2 good canister filters, like an Eheim. Aquaclears are great HOB filters, but once you get to about 30-40 gallons cannisters should be considered. this will also give the option to run various things inline like co2 stuff and inline heaters. i suggest two different kinds of heaters. Hydor inline heaters (good heater that takes equipment out of the tank and hides it), and Visi Therm Stealth heaters as an in tank option.
Quote:
Here is the 10 gallon. (Tried to size the image down... sorry if it didn't work.)

looks like a good start, the image is a little too small though. dont worry as long as the pic isnt gigantic. the forum will automatically size the pics down if their too big.

10g- future shrimp wonderland/breeder

29g- in progress

A Pimp Named Eheim 350
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amano101 View Post
is the topsoil aquarium safe? if its just potting soil, your going to have some problems.
I'm trying to follow along with what Diana Walstad did in her book. She actually recommended topsoil from your yard, but I didn't feel like digging in the rental. So, generic Ace Hardware topsoil. Ingredients: Sandy Loam Topsoil. The only thing that I would do differently is that I would seive it to get rid of the little wood pieces. They surfaced pretty quickly, although the snails seem to like them.

Quote:
dang, my first impulse fish were 2 catfish(the big kind), in a 10g.
Yeah, the arrowanna was actually my favorite fish, just too darn big. I worked at a pet shop when I was in high school and when the arrowannas came in they were just so cute with their little yolk sacs. Fast forward a few months when the arrowanna was in a 20 long and I finally realized that he/she might not be the best fish for me. I gave it away to a customer who had a much bigger tank. Less than a week later it committed suicide by jumping out of his not well covered tank.

Quote:
depending on the size you get, i would invest in 1 or 2 good canister filters, like an Eheim. Aquaclears are great HOB filters, but once you get to about 30-40 gallons cannisters should be considered. this will also give the option to run various things inline like co2 stuff and inline heaters. i suggest two different kinds of heaters. Hydor inline heaters (good heater that takes equipment out of the tank and hides it), and Visi Therm Stealth heaters as an in tank option.
I'll have to look into those. I know that I am leaning towards the Aquaclears because that is what I am comfortable with, but it does seem like a lot of people with larger planted tanks have the canister filters.

Thanks for your help!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode