110g tall. From startup to 1 year in progress(56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
110g tall. From startup to 1 year in progress(56k)

Kinda new here so i'll catch everyone up.
Got the tank off craigslist for $350. The driftwood was what got me.

Ordered my 260w compact fluorescent light. Used it for 3 months before i realized there was bubble wrap inside around the bulbs... Luckily i didn't burn my house down. Here's the aftermath after i got as much of the melted plastic off the bulbs. Bulbs have since been replaced.

Filled it with about 4" of Seachem Fluorite black substrate.

I added a 5lb cylinder and a DIY Rex type reactor on my FX5 filter

After about 3weeks i added the rest of my plants from my 30g and got a few more. Looks nice right?...wouldn't stay like that.

Tank quickly started to spiral out of control. Brown diatoms galore.

After a few months of that i basically gave up. Stopped fertilizing, CO2, weekly water changes,....
A couple of more months and it leveled out.

Finally settled down and turned out okay after about 10months.

Decided to start really going heavy on the plants again so i started ferts and CO2.
First day starting the new treatments again.

Two weeks into new CO2 and ferts. I tackled my BBA algae problem and moved a few things around. I'm on the lookout for any signs of algae so i don't have a repeat of what happened before.

Well that it. A year into this tank and it's come full circle. Hopefully i'm on the uphill slope of what should be a good looking tank. Give it another couple weeks and this thing should be a jungle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 03:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Nice tank and that driftwood is awesome too.
I used to have a 110 myself. I always hated getting my armpits wet when I had to reach the bottom though. lol

Looks like you've learned alot in the past year. Its cool to see the equipment changes too (filters, lights, bubble wall, etc)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Algae Grower

HA!!!!!!!!!!!! I so glad you melted the plastic to your bulbs. I dont feel so dumb now. I did the same thing to my t5s

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Auberry View Post
HA!!!!!!!!!!!! I so glad you melted the plastic to your bulbs. I dont feel so dumb now. I did the same thing to my t5s
Yeah...it was definitely not the smartest thing i've done. So for about 3 months my plants where growing with light having to go through plastic and a white film over the Plexiglas.

I guess i should have realized it with the smell.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric D View Post
Nice tank and that driftwood is awesome too.
I used to have a 110 myself. I always hated getting my armpits wet when I had to reach the bottom though. lol

Looks like you've learned alot in the past year. Its cool to see the equipment changes too (filters, lights, bubble wall, etc)
Yeah. Added the FX5 b/c i didn't think I had enough filtration, bubbler b/c i had a horrible oxygen die off and lost most of my fish, the light was right away, and the reactor/diffuser changed many many times during all this.

And it definitely gets old having to reach to the bottom. But I'm not sure if people who haven't had a tall tank really know that or else they may appreciate it more? It'll just make going back to a normal tank that much easier now that i've learned on a tall one.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Should i keep the tank completely green or should i add some colorful plants to it?

I guess it's a little too late to make that big of a change and still fit it in somehow
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
I always think that tanks with some color variations look best. You should have enough light and co2 to get some really nice reds.

Even as it is right now, I think you have done a great job. That drift wood is just stunning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
nice tank! way to work out the kinks too
cheers-K
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
A great tank, and AWESOME driftwood!

-Chris

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Nice tank, I think you could defanantly do with some red in there

Also amazing drift wood

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

The plant on the far left in the last few pictures was red when i got it a LONG time ago. I can't remember what it's actually called anymore...

It's actually growing a lot better then i was hoping but has only vaguely turned yellowish/red within the last 3 inches of being near the top...

Maybe i'm mistaken though and it really isn't supposed to be a red plant.

What kind of fast growing plant that is easy to grow might be good for my tank? I'm thinking if i find something that does will in my tank it can replace my hygrophilla on either side of the far corners.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:02 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
What an amazing transformation! I give you an A+. That driftwood is very intriguing!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

well i contracted neon tetra disease in the tank. I'm sure i've had it FOREVER as my luck with fish has been sooo bad. But i have decided to sell it. Not only because of the NTD but also i'll probably be moving soon and i just don't want to mess with it then.

I'll be getting a new 30g to replace it and put the plants/gravel in for now.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
aww that sucks. i can't believe it.
well i hope the 30 g comes out good

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode