Kinda new here so i'll catch everyone up.
Got the tank off craigslist for $350. The driftwood was what got me.
Ordered my 260w compact fluorescent light. Used it for 3 months before i realized there was bubble wrap inside around the bulbs... Luckily i didn't burn my house down. Here's the aftermath after i got as much of the melted plastic off the bulbs. Bulbs have since been replaced.
Filled it with about 4" of Seachem Fluorite black substrate.
I added a 5lb cylinder and a DIY Rex type reactor on my FX5 filter
After about 3weeks i added the rest of my plants from my 30g and got a few more. Looks nice right?...wouldn't stay like that.
Tank quickly started to spiral out of control. Brown diatoms galore.
After a few months of that i basically gave up. Stopped fertilizing, CO2, weekly water changes,....
A couple of more months and it leveled out.
Finally settled down and turned out okay after about 10months.
Decided to start really going heavy on the plants again so i started ferts and CO2.
First day starting the new treatments again.
Two weeks into new CO2 and ferts. I tackled my BBA algae problem and moved a few things around. I'm on the lookout for any signs of algae so i don't have a repeat of what happened before.
Well that it. A year into this tank and it's come full circle. Hopefully i'm on the uphill slope of what should be a good looking tank. Give it another couple weeks and this thing should be a jungle.