Diane Walstad going Dutch style? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
x2h
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Question Diane Walstad going Dutch style?

My 29g was first set up in Summer of 2007. I happened to read Diane Walstad's book at thetime and decided to go that style since I am too lazy to maintain the tank. Following the book, I put one layer of potting soil from Home Depot topped by a layer of regular gravel as the substrate. The plants include 2 Amazon swords and a few others. Fish include angel, guppy, neon tetra, platy, etc. Lighting = 20 W stock light, no CO2 injection, no fertilization.

After a couple months the swords took over and almost covers the whole surface. Algae is minimal.

Well, after more than a year I got tired looking at the 2 big swords and decided to rescape. Early January 2009 I bought a whole bunch of plants and put them in the tank. I also raised the light intensity to 72 W T5. I guess that's very high light level. I also started dosing ferts including N/P/K/S. And I also dose Excel and added a pleco to control algae.

Well after a bit more than a month, I already had to prune the plants 3 times. Currently it looks like a jungle and the plants almost press the fish against the glass. The 4th pruning is coming this weekend. Algae is still under control. The fish are happy, spawning happens almost daily.

This is surprising since I thought the whole idea of Diane Walstad style is to keep maintenance to a minimal. Is the high growth due to the high light level even without CO2 injection? However if I cut teh light the tank will look too dark since the plants are blocking a lot of the light. Or could it be the fertilizers?

Therefore I am facing a dilemma here: I prefer high light, but want low growth. Is that ever possible?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank-m.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	12089  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
You like cars with lots of HP but don't like to drive over 60mph?

I have the same issue. I like the selection of plants I can use under high light setups but I hate re-scaping my tank every few months. Just 2 nights ago I had to toss about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket full of plants. Then I had to spend 2 hours reaching over into my 90 gallon tank replanting the remaining stems etc... PITA

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

50 Gallon Aquarium - Colony of Showa Koi Swords.
90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
12x10 Gallon Tanks - Guppies, Apistos, Endlers, Shrimp, Swords, you name it.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:33 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
For what it's worth, the tank looks great.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
x2h
Planted Tank Obsessed

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirston View Post
You like cars with lots of HP but don't like to drive over 60mph?

I have the same issue. I like the selection of plants I can use under high light setups but I hate re-scaping my tank every few months. Just 2 nights ago I had to toss about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket full of plants. Then I had to spend 2 hours reaching over into my 90 gallon tank replanting the remaining stems etc... PITA
Are you also from the Triangle area? Next time you are ready to throw away some 4 gallons of plants please let me know. I am thinking of getting rid of most of the fast growing ones and replace them with slow growers. One man's trash could be another man's treasure.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Would you post a front view of the tank, please.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
nice tank, just wondering what's the water parameter are like in your area. I came pretty close to buying a house in the Apex/Holly Springs area last August and might still be relocating in the near future.

thanks

Treasure your ears and they'll serve you well...
my 55 gallon discus tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my new 20H gallon
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
x2h
Planted Tank Obsessed

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtweakers View Post
nice tank, just wondering what's the water parameter are like in your area. I came pretty close to buying a house in the Apex/Holly Springs area last August and might still be relocating in the near future.

thanks
Here you go:

http://www.townofcary.org/depts/pwdept/labsummary.htm

I am not sure if I understand the report. Could you do me a favor and tell me is our tap water hard or soft, after reading the report? Thanks!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Hardness, Total, as CaCO3 (ppm) 2007 30.9 24.7 – 36.3 Classified as “moderately soft”
I found this in the report
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
x2h
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfalconf35 View Post
I found this in the report
Oops I missed that. Thanks!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
wow from the looks of it.. tank looks goood.. need more pics
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
x2h
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's the front. The plants are a mess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank-front-1024x583.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	12098  

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2h View Post
Here's the front. The plants are a mess.
That's a nice looking mess. Is the potting soil any special type (organic or non- fertilized?)

"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
x2h
Planted Tank Obsessed

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
That's a nice looking mess. Is the potting soil any special type (organic or non- fertilized?)
Sorry I don't remember now, since it's been 1.5 years. I probably just grabbed the cheapest one that says "Garden soil" or "Potting soil".
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2h View Post
Therefore I am facing a dilemma here: I prefer high light, but want low growth. Is that ever possible?
Could you keep the 72W light and cut the photoperiod back to about 3-4 hours a day? One of my tanks is low tech with 3.6 wpg of light, so i only run the lights for 3-4 hours and I manually turn them on if we have friends coming over who may want to see the tank during the usual "off" period.

The plants grow considerably slower than my other tank and I have not noted any plant deficiencies or problems with algae yet, but other people may know of a long term problem with such a short photoperiod that I'm unaware of.

I really like the variety of plants you have and I think it looks great so dense and untrimmed. I'm surprised I've not seen more people using the potting soil method since it's so simple. I've seen the mineralized topsoil threads but none that sound as simple as what you did. I think I'll have to go get the book!

"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
x2h
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Could you keep the 72W light and cut the photoperiod back to about 3-4 hours a day? One of my tanks is low tech with 3.6 wpg of light, so i only run the lights for 3-4 hours and I manually turn them on if we have friends coming over who may want to see the tank during the usual "off" period.

The plants grow considerably slower than my other tank and I have not noted any plant deficiencies or problems with algae yet, but other people may know of a long term problem with such a short photoperiod that I'm unaware of.

I really like the variety of plants you have and I think it looks great so dense and untrimmed. I'm surprised I've not seen more people using the potting soil method since it's so simple. I've seen the mineralized topsoil threads but none that sound as simple as what you did. I think I'll have to go get the book!

Thanks for the tip! I sure will try that. As a scientist, I love experimenting!

As for the soil method, I think it takes a little bit of gut and leapfrog in faith to do that. But once you do that, there's no way back. You will simply be hooked by the simplicity of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode