1st Planned Planted Tank- 20H (BIG PHOTO UPDATE 5/11/09) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
1st Planned Planted Tank- 20H (BIG PHOTO UPDATE 5/11/09)

So I've had this tank set up for a while now. It wasn't really planted, just had some plants in it. The other day my brother got some eco-complete for his 2.5, and I used what was left for this tank.

Now I plan on used a lot of small- leaved plants to make it seem like the tank is bigger than it really is, as well as fish. So far i have

~20 Stems of Ludwigia sp. "Narrow Leaf"
Microsword, came in a pot and i spread it out
Hairgrass, came in a pot and spread it out
And probably about 50+ stems of rotala indica.
What else would go with this selection of plants?

This is everything i didn't use, including the fish im trying to get rid of-

As far as fish go, I'm not sure what im putting in it. The only thing that im considering putting in right now are five of these little guys from my 55-

other than those guys, any suggestions for a small fish? I kind of just want a bunch of one type of fish, other than the cories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Neoman; 05-12-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
What other specs do you have for the tank?
Lighting?
CO2?
is that a HOB filter?
I don't see a heater.
depending on your lighting you may have a tough time with the plants you currently have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
What other specs do you have for the tank?
Lighting?
CO2?
is that a HOB filter?
I don't see a heater.
depending on your lighting you may have a tough time with the plants you currently have.
Sorry, got carried away with pictures and completely forgot about tank specs.

Lighting is 2 seperate lights, 1 CF and one regular fluorescent for a total of about 60 watts.

C02 is in the process of being set up, its going to be DIY.

Yes, thats a HOB filter, and I figured a heater wasnt needed. My room generally stays pretty warm, this tank is always in the upper 70's.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really need to find a new setting on this camera.

New Scape, new light, some new plants, and added DIY c02, all as of yesterday.

Riccia, already doubled its growth since the one day its been in

Considering getting just a bunch of endlers and or guppies for this tank and letting them breed on their own.

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So im really considering getting some of these off of ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Endlers-Live-Bea...3%3A1|294%3A50

If not, there are some hybrid endlers at my local aquarium adventures that look like cobra guppys, but small like the endlers and with some green/orange as well as some top and bottom swords. Im planning on letting them breed freely in the tank, possibly with guppy females instead of endler females. If necessary or if i end up with anything interesting, i might set up another tank just for females/breeding.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I got my Tiger Endlers from a different source, but I really like them. I had sold of some of the older ones, and kept some of the females and a few males and now I have tons of babies!! Just waiting for them to grow some more and start coloring up.

Tim

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I didn't end up getting the endlers. I did however, have a pretty bad case of hair algae which caused me to, after dealing with it, pull out a lot of plants and rescape. Also got an sae to help control any further algae as well as a bristlenose from my 55.
Alot of new plants were added, and the ludwigia is growing very well.

I also added 12 green neon tetras. I would really prefer cardinals but the neons are much cheaper and aren't dying on me like the cardinals, although I hardly ever see them. Are They normally this shy? I'll be lucky if I see three of them at once before they run into the microsword or behind the driftwood.

Heres the new scape, I think it adds more depth. Any opinions?

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

this is the first tank ive really experienced any algae problems with. Currently battling some green water...

It looks a bit worse in the picture than it actually is.

But as you can see through the green muck, Ive added some anubias plantlets from my 55.

On the plus side, I'm getting some growth. Its being halted a bit by the GW but i expect that to go away soon.

Any suggestions on the scape? I feel like it looks weird. Oh, and the neons still aren't coming out :/

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Algae Grower

sorry to hear about all the algae probs. i've been dealing with some myself. are you doing constant WC for battling GW?

i think maybe a carpet plant would look nice in the front..its a bit empty but the plants in the back are nicely settled i might say.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Some new additions...

Got them from petsmart this time. The ones from the aquarium adventures down in bolingbrook were always very frail looking and ended up dissapearing in my tank. Theses guys are pretty big and have nice full stomachs.

Also, what do you guys do to fight GW? Ive gotten alot of contradicting information from searching on this site and the internet.

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Get a UV sterilizer. It'll kill all the...stuff that causes green water

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd love one but im saving up for some pressurized right now, I can't really make any big purchases :/ I cant wait till i turn 16 this summer and can finally get a job.

But w/o the UV sterilizer, should I be doing alot of water changes or none at all? And as for lighting, should i just make shorter photoperiods or block out the light alltogether?

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
try doing tank blackout
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

tried that already. 3 day tank blackout. I heard adding daphnia would work, how would I go about getting some? I cant go collect any right now.

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No dead cardinals the next day! This happened every time I got them from the AA in bolingbrook. Yhese are zooming around the tank all the time, and are eating already. The green neons are coming out now that I've put them in too! If these end up surviving , I'm definately going to get some more. I think probably 5 to 7 more would be a decent number, yeah? Unless I just replace the green neons with more cardinals, then I'd probably double that number.

On a side note im also saving up for some pressurized

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode