70 corner bowfront *The Sunkin Destination* Update 03/09/2012 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)
70 corner bowfront *The Sunkin Destination* Update 03/09/2012

Well I guess I get to join those that have the bigger tanks.....My sweetie bought me a 70 g corner bowfront for Valentines Day....YAY!!! I got all the parts on Wednesday and set it up that night.

Tank specs:
70g
48"LX22"WX25"H

Light
T5 HO Light Fixture
Light 48" T5 HO
4 Lamp 4 Lunar
2 54W T5 HO 10,000K
1 54W T5 HO 10K/Daylight Slimpaq Bulb
1 54W T5 HO 6500K
(4) 1W Lunar LED's

Pressurized CO2
3 bags black ecocomplete
1 bag cichlid ecocomplete sand

Mopani and traditional driftwood

Plants:
Cryptocoryne bronze(not sure of actual variety)
Rotala Colorata
Taiwan moss
Subwass
Anubias Nanas Petites
Purple Combaba(sp)

Fish
5 galaxy rasbora
7 adult guppies +misc fry
8 adult platies + misc fry
7 rasbora-Rasbora heteromorpha
5 glass catfish
1 black and 4 striped khuli loaches
1 cory catfish-Corydoras sterbai
1 pleco
maybe 20 adult cherry shrimp+ misc shrimplets
1 amano shrimp

and now for the pictures......

this is the mostly finished layout....I think that I still need to do some more tweeking.....but for the most part this is what I am looking for

Anyway comment are welcome.......whatcha think?

Last edited by wrangler; 03-09-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
man that is ridiculous! I've been working on my tanks for a year and still none of them look that good! i cant wait until this grows out some, this'll be a spectacular tank soon. *subscribed!*

Wilson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
You have a lot of nice color in there. It is going to look nice

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
Alright!! Another planted hobbyist with a corner bowfront. Looks good!

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
nice tank, i really love corner bow fronts. if i had the room i would definitely get one.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the well wishes!! I am so excited about this tank....and your right dewalltheway...there are very few that have the corner bows....in fact you are about the only other one out there that has one. I have loved this style tank for ages.....and have been eyeballing them seriously for over a year! I was sooo excited when I got this one as a gift! I will post more pictures soon......
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
I like it but I think you are going to have to change your lights...you have actinic bulbs...plants don't use that wavelength of light...your going to have to get bulbs in the 6500k to 10,000k range.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I thought that I would give an update. Its been about 2.5 weeks since I last posted and really not that much has changed. I am having the typical BGA, BSA and I think some kind of red/brown algae. I have reduced the photo period to 6 hours with 2 hours of a "burst" included in that time period. I am also dosing flourish as recommended by paperwork. All the fish and shrimp are doing great and I even have had 2 sets of fry drop and I am pretty sure that 2 cherries have also dropped. I have enclosed several pictures to show some growth as well as the algae problem. I am doing WC every week as well. I got the CO2 working finally so most plants are pearling as well....YAY!!! Anyway should I be concerned about the algae? Also can you see what is comming off my japanese moss ball......and some of that drift wood......I am concered that it is cladaphora(sp)........any thoughts?

Comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged!!

what it looked like 2.5 weeks ago...

FTS

Left side

Right side

new growth

ALGAE!!!

mossball???

See that string? I have 3 seperate ones of that.......different places in the tank...

even in the white sand!!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your tank looks like it was going along great.
Geez the algae on your driftwood look horrendous!!
If i were u i would take out any algae that i could get my hands on and throw it away.
Or take out your driftwood and scrub it and take out any algae that i could get my hands on and throw and clean the rest on the day of w/c.
Good luck!

And of course like Coltonorr said, you need to change your lights.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post

And of course like Coltonorr said, you need to change your lights.

I am slightly confused.....I purchased the light from Aquarium Adventure in Cols. OH. After I was told that I needed to change out the bulbs I called and spoke to a representative at AA....and was told that the light bulbs in the hood would be fine for the tank, and that the plants would grow and be fine until the time that the bulbs became unuseful...in 6-8 months when the bulbs would have to be changed. AA is a fairly exclusive shop....as there are only like 4 shops across the US......if you have ever been in one you will know what I am talking about. Not only do they sell fresh and salt, they also are ones that will come into your home or business and set up and run your tank for you. Knowing this, I would assume that they would be knowledgable about the fixtures that they sell and what the consumer wants to do with it. I am not disagreeing with those on this board that have brought to my attention that the bulbs need changed...I am however annoyed that I spent a good chunk of change on that light, the sales person knew what I planned to do with it and I have called to inquire about the bulbs after concern was raised here...and each time they state that my planted tank will be fine with these bulbs, that the plants will grow and flourish just fine...blah blah blah!!

So my question is....where do I find the bulbs that are actually needed by the tank? Most stores around here do not even carry the T5 size......where is the best place to find them...and what is the best brand for the tank that I have?

48in hood

Thanks so much for your help and comments!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
Hmmm ...where to start? Ok, let's try this....

They might be "exclusive" but they are lacking in knowledge of current planted tank methodology (and technology) evidenced by the fact that they told you the T5HO
bulbs would be "unuseful" in 6-8 months (that was the case with VHO bulbs) Your bulbs will continue to be very useful for a year (or more, depending on duration of daily use , bulb temps, ect..)

The fact that they set up & maintain customer tanks is not in and of itself proof that they are any better than your average petsmart employee

The good news is, you've found one of the best resources available on planted tank knowledge, methodology & practice... The bad news is, it might well take you half of a lifetime to wade through all of it

Take a look around the journals here, look at the results obtained by the tanks owner, read about the methods they used to achieve those results (and learn from their mistakes) Ask questions (you've already started doing that ...kudos), decide for yourself whether or not those methods might work for you ...then & most importantly ...*get your hands wet* After all, it's a hobby ... enjoy it !

As to replacement bulbs for your fixture, I would replace the actinic (blue)
bulbs with one of these two:

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...t_by_Giesemann

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...t_by_Giesemann

Remember, whatever you decide to do, please share some pics of the results with us.

Larry
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 AM

PTrader: (6/100%)
it looks like you have too much lighting for the plants you are supporting. In addition, you are using a DYI CO2, not the best option for a large tank like yours. Your algae problem looks to be getting worse and worse. I suggest you looking in the algae section for some help.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I thought that I would give a little update...complete with pictures on my journal. I purchased 2 T5 bulbs for freshwater-one is a slimpaq 54w high output freshwater bulb and the second is a T5 28 w full spectrum lamp. I am not sure that either is exactly what i want....but it is a start and neither is actinic....so yay!! I also purchased some of my favorite fish.....GUPPIES!!! I just love this little fish! and the tanks should be full of them in no time! Any I noticed plantlets comming from several plants in the tank....and all are starting from the eco-complete....so I know that the plants are at least reproducing. Algae is reducing.....no more GDA, although I still have GSA......

I pulled out all the driftwood peices that had the algae growing on them. I had already scrubbed them prior to adding them to the tank originally and all that grew was I guess seeded on the wood?! So I am going to let them sit outside of water for awhile to try to kill anything left on them. I purchased 2 new peices to replace them....and i think that i like them better anyway...mopani! YAY!! and now for the pictures

These were taken with my coolpix Nikon 5400.....and i am still learning how to use it.......pictures are clear but darker than what i want.

anyone with this camera and can offer tips please let me know...I know that it can take great pictures.....i am just a retard when it comes to the camera...used to point and shoot styles.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just a quick update....

Plants are slowly growing, algae is fading away, and the CO2 system has kicked into high gear now that it is warming up and the house is warmer(we kept it at 61* all winter). I added 7 rasboras and 5 glass cats(never had before, but they are really neat!) Comments are encouraged and welcome....... hint hint hint... LOL!!!

THE FTS...........

and this one shows some of the tanks new inhabitants as well as the plant that is really taking off.....not sure what it is. I have noticed that the right side of the tank seems to be growing faster than the left? Not really sure why......but I guess the CO2 is more on the right than the left......guess I will have to see about moving it the next time I do a WC. All those small bubbles are micro CO2 bubbles being put out.....thats good right?
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
well I have to say, when I saw your tank specs...I knew you would have algae...that's bad, but I guess that is also good, cause that means I am getting more experienced. But good to hear you are getting it under control.

If you had pressurized co2, you could almost irradicate the algae nemesis...

keep the flow high and the photoperiod under 8 hours until you get a good handle on the algae...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode