30 Gallon High Tech build Needs Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
30 Gallon High Tech build Needs Help!

Hello everyone!

Well I am finally ready to start upgrading from my 10 gallon low tech beginner tank to a 30 gallon high tech tank.

I am planning to do CO2 injection and I already know what substrate I am going to run. I guess my biggest issue is lights. What I want to accomplish is a nice s. repens or downoi carpet in the front of the tank. and I know those are going to be one of the most challenging plants to grow because they need so much light.

What I am trying to decide is WHICH LED to get. I know T5HO would be less expensive in the short term but I want something that I can place directly on top of the tank and I want 1 single light.

I have been looking at the "Build My LED" site and I love the look of their setups but wow... $275 for a single 36 inch strip. I can live with that if its the only light I need. But I can't fathom the possibility of convincing the wife that I need two of those lol.

I have also been looking at the Finnex line of lights. Both the Planted and the Ray2 are great looking but.. will they be enough.

So Advice is absolutely welcome!

Let the waterfall of suggestions begin!!!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I love my BML. I have it and a satellite plus on my 55. The BML would work alone but why not use both if I already had it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Standard 55 gallon club... We need one of those.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
What is the depth of the 30G tank? The Ray II would probably work for you.

Check out this link:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=160396

The Ray2 puts out more PAR, but doesn't have the different spectrum colors or something. I'm not sure, some google research might help. Either way, the Finnex fixtures are cheaper and have always had great reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Ray2-Aquarium-Daylight-36-Inch/dp/B008K37X7C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424115373&sr=8-3&keywords=finnex+36%22
$140 on Amazon, shipped. Not to say the BML light isn't great, but it is for the hobbyist with a deeper pocket.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 09:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
What is the depth of the 30G tank? The Ray II would probably work for you.

Check out this link:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=160396

The Ray2 puts out more PAR, but doesn't have the different spectrum colors or something. I'm not sure, some google research might help. Either way, the Finnex fixtures are cheaper and have always had great reviews.

Amazon.com : Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight, 36-Inch : Aquarium Lights : Pet Supplies

$140 on Amazon, shipped. Not to say the BML light isn't great, but it is for the hobbyist with a deeper pocket.
I'm running the Ray2 and the Stingray on my 55 and getting good results. The Ray2 shuts off 1.5hrs before the Stingray for my plant cooldown (when the CO2 stops as well).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have looked at the Finnex line and I like the results but My concern is that I would need two fixtures to produce the appropriate light. Can someone speak to results they have had with just one light?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Can someone recommend a good light that will provide 100+ PAR at 18 inches with just 1 light?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 12:28 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Neither S repens or Downoi need 100+ PAR to do well, not even close. In fact, depending on how much algae you like your plants to have, they'll probably do a lot better with less.

My advice would be stick with medium range light and focus on good CO2 and ferts. 60-70 PAR will grow just about anything.

No exp with LEDs so cant help you there. As long as you are shooting for something that high though...better opt for one that's dimmable.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Neither S repens or Downoi need 100+ PAR to do well, not even close. In fact, depending on how much algae you like your plants to have, they'll probably do a lot better with less.

My advice would be stick with medium range light and focus on good CO2 and ferts. 60-70 PAR will grow just about anything.

No exp with LEDs so cant help you there. As long as you are shooting for something that high though...better opt for one that's dimmable.
Thanks for the advise Burr, So what about dwarf baby tears. Do those need 100+ Par to grow? Maybe i am going overkill lol but I would rather have too much and be able to dim it than not enough light.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 10:17 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Same thing with HC, it needs good co2 more than anything. Med range light is plenty.

I grew this in about 6 weeks with two 18 watt cfl bulbs in aluminum dome reflectors, ~ 50-60 PAR.

Last edited by burr740; 02-20-2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added pic

Tags
build my led, downoi, finnex, led, s. repens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode