Pseudo Planted 18G Goldfish. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pseudo Planted 18G Goldfish.

My last goldy tank was fully planted in sand capped dirt. The waste levels in the substrate severely limited how many fish I could stock. This tank allows for deep substrate cleanings and therefore higher fish sticking levels. It has a lot of plants but the substrate is simply epoxy coated aquarium gravel. Some plants are stems which don't need to root. Those are weighted with lead. Some are anubias tied to driftwood. The big sword is planted in a hole i drilled in a piece if driftwood. The only plant actually planted in the substrate is the single parva. All but the parva can be removed so I can thoroughly vac the gravel. I avoid the gravel right around the parva.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(defunct)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
same tank another approach (defunct)

same tank now

Goldfish are among the worst fish for beginners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(defunct)

same tank now

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

(defunct)

same tank now

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There's no CO2. To keep the nutrients low the light is high and the day cycle is long. Ottos keep the algae from going bezerk.

(defunct)

same tank now

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wonderful tank but keep in mind the goldfish will probably need a bigger tank in the future. I might risk a single fancy in an 18 gallon but I'd go with at least a 30 gallon for four. Just due to the size of the fish.

Of course, I'm not saying that you can't keep the water clean; it's just that the tank'll become overcrowded in the future.

I love the greens and the blacks. It sure makes the fish pop out. But, to me it almost looks a little stuffed in there.

Just some friendly advice, I'm not trying to be mean.

Nice looking tank, by the way.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks. I know the tank won't house all those guys as they grow. As for stuffed looking, it may get pretty jungly. The look isn't really important to me. It's intended as an experiment, a stepping stone to a future tank which will be properly stocked and prettier.

(defunct)

same tank now

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

I keep fancy goldfish, and I won't keep more than three in my 55 gallon. Depending on who you talk to, stocking recommendations rang from 20 gallons for the first fish, and 10 for each additional fish, to 20-30 gallons per fish.

That said, it looks great; love the planting. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up to growing Goldfish. Cause if there's one thing they always have, it's the munchies.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Algae Grower

Hi. I really want to do a planted goldfish tank. Any ideas on how to stock? I have a 120gal with a 30 gal wet dry filter, it pump s700-900 gal per hour. Thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:28 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Hi. I really want to do a planted goldfish tank. Any ideas on how to stock? I have a 120gal with a 30 gal wet dry filter, it pump s700-900 gal per hour.
I'd start with no more than six goldfish in 120 gallons (20 gallons per fish). From there, let things get established, and watch your water parameters.

I have no experience with wet/dry filters, so I can't say if a 30 gallon is "enough" biofiltration. It's probably quite sufficient, as a couple of Aqueon 55/75 filters can probably handle the bioload. The turnover rate looks to be above the 5-7x rate.

The big thing about goldfish: They are big, massive fish. They eat a lot, they eat pretty much everything in sight, they grow fast, and they produce lots of waste.

They constantly dig, pull up plants, and graze on anything in sight.

I love 'em...

There are a couple of rules, though:

- If it can fit in a Goldfish's mouth, it will be in a goldfish's mouth. Plan accordingly in every aspect (substrate, plants, other fish, decorations).
- Goldfish are natural sifters of sand. Gravel (especially sharp gravel) can get lodged in the fish's mouth and can kill the fish.
- Goldfish are smart, curious fish. There are even goldfish training kits. If a Goldfish can fit, thinks it can fit, or wants to fit in spite of all evidence to the contrary, it'll try. I've had a couple of decorations kill goldfish.
- Don't mix fancy and non-fancy goldfish. Fancy Goldfish aren't the fastest swimmers, and can end up starving because a faster comet eats all the food before the big lionhead gets to where the food was.
- Start out with a tank stocked for adult fish sizes. Wait for them to grow. Keep an eye on nitrate levels. If a weekly 50% water change won't keep the nitrates below 20 PPM, you're overstocked.

As for plants... the best method I've seen is trial & error. See what plants the fish don't tear to pieces.

In general, they are all fast growers, and they need to be. Amazon Swords, Water Wisteria, Anacharis, Hornwort, java ferns, and cryptocornes are commonly planted. A possible exception is Anubais, which is a favorite among planted goldfish keepers,

My fish leave the anubais alone. They're fighting with the amazon swords (not sure who'll win), the water wisteria seems to be doing OK. I plan on adding hornwort and crypts in the spring, and we'll see how they fare.

Duckweed is generally gobbled up by goldfish, so it's something you'd keep in a different tank to grow, and then you unload the 'overgrowth' into the goldfish tank to be eaten.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My tank won't hold all 6 fish as they grow. Some will be going back to the pet shop. This tank is kind if an experiment in max stocking to learn more about waste management. Goldfish keeping is all about waste management.

If you are new to fancy goldfish stock very low levels at first or you will have trouble.

(defunct)

same tank now

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dvid, I would do around five or six juveniles in a 120 gallon. In theory they could grow fully in it but it would not be a low maintenance tank. Your wet dry may become a nitrate factory. Don't allow the juvenile fish to get stressed by any amount of nutrient spikes or they will stunt and develop health problems. Avoid this and they will live for decades. They live about 30-40 years if kept properly. Ime even 20 ppm or nitrate is too high for these fish to grow at the proper rate so theres a trade off with great plant growth. The plants like 20 ppm. The challenge with goldfish and plants is the amount of solid and dissolved waste in the water and substrate. These fish often need a handmade food. Many develop digestion problems if fed store bought food though some are ok with quality brand food if it is pre-soaked before feeding. I make freezable gel food using 50% mashed pea organic baby food 40% high end fish food and 10% spirulina mixed with enough agar to thicken the food into a jelly strong enough that it won't cloud the water.

(defunct)

same tank now

Tags
goldfish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode