29G DSM. First Planted Tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
29G DSM. First Planted Tank!

Updated FTS. Will try to keep this pic updated.

Hey gang,

So this is my first planted tank. Wanted to try the DSM in an attempt to get a carpet right of the bat. Since I'm new, i wanted to experiment by putting some other plants in as well that I've seen listed as being able to be grown emersed. Also wanted to keep it mostly low tech, so a lot of begginer plants, though I tooks some risks too.

Substrate:
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
Flourite Black Sand used for cap.

I wanted the quality of the ADA AS, but also just really love sand! Its a thin cap mainly for looks, nothing else.

Light:
Finnex Fugeray Planted+

Flora:
Dwarf Hair Grass
Anubias barteri
Anubias nana
Java fern
Cardinal Plant
Crypt Undulata
Amazon Sword

A big experiment for me and looking forward to how it will turn out!

Bump: The left side of the tank looks overfilled because it was. I drained it but haven't taken a new picture.

Last edited by hooshbag; 04-09-2015 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Updating FTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What do you plan on doing for Co2. For dwarf grass will need it when you fill the tank.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Investigating that now. I wanted it to be low tech, but I also really like the look of carpets, especially DHG. I'm going to try dosing excel and see if I have any luck. If not, possibly DIY CO2.

Since it's my first planted tank, I really want to experiment and see what kind of results I get. I'm okay with road bumps along the way.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 04:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
that branch looks out of place
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooshbag View Post
Investigating that now. I wanted it to be low tech, but I also really like the look of carpets, especially DHG. I'm going to try dosing excel and see if I have any luck. If not, possibly DIY CO2.
That is what I have been doing. Instead of Excel I use Metricide diluted. I dose Select Aquatics dry fert, KNO3, and Sodium Bicarb and liquid kelp. The kelp I decide on because Brightwell aquatic's Co2 replacement has kelp in it. It is growing very slow. Planning to put it in a 20G high with DIY Co2 with citric acid, which I bought on no ebay links allowed Tried the yeast DIY Co2. Gave off the smell of beer.

Excel alternative Metricide or Cidex. Not cidex odt. Excel has 1.5% Glut. A quart is approx $25 on no ebay links allowed At dealmed.com 1-gallon $18.20. shipping $9.99. Solution (1.5 x container)/ cidex glut% = glut. Calculator

Last edited by Hilde; 02-15-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added text
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
that branch looks out of place
Yeah I've been moving it around trying to figure out a way I like it. I've changed it tons of times. At this point I like it, but I'll have to wait and see what it looks like when the plants grow in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
That is what I have been doing. Instead of Excel I use Metricide diluted. It is growing very slow. Planning to put it in a 20G high with DIY Co2 with citric acid, which I bought on no ebay links allowed Tried the yeast DIY Co2. Gave off the smell of beer.

Excel alternative #12
Metricide or Cidex. Not cidex odt. Excel has 1.5% Glut. A quart is approx $25 on no ebay links allowed At dealmed.com 1 gallon $18.20. shipping $9.99
Solution here
(1.5 x container)/ cidex glut% = glut
Calculator http://glut.petalphile.com/
Thanks! The DHG is basically the reason I went DSM. What I'm basically hoping to achieve is to get a carpet grown now, then when I flood it I just want to be able to do just enough to keep it alive and healthy, as I won't be too worried about future growth. We'll see how it goes though.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Anubias usually get GSA on their leaves when the light is high enough for DHG.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooshbag View Post
Thanks! The DHG is basically the reason I went DSM.
I don't have the patience to that.

Last edited by Hilde; 02-15-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: editing
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Flooded the tank this past Sunday after just over 4 weeks of DSM. First I'll mention how the plants did during the DSM. One thing worth mentioning is I noticed mold growing on the wood 1 week into the DSM. I removed it. Will be put back though as I've grown fond of it.

DHG - Didn't grow quite as quickly as I would hope. But it has still sent out a lot of runners. Carpet is forming nicely!

Amazon Sword - Lots of new growth, as well as a runner with two new plants growing off it already.

Crypts - Look healthy but not really any noticeable growth.

Anubis Nana - Lots of new leaves, looking great.

Anubius Barteri - Doesn't look great, but finally showing some growth. One new leaf finally popping out.

Cardinal Plant - Growing like wildfire! Was able to already trim and replant. Really excited about this.

Java Fern - The only plant that really isn't looking very good, though this week since flooded I've noticed some new growth. If it doesn't perk up I might move to a low tech I have at my office at work.

Nothing crazy since flooding. Been dosing excel, even a little extra to help the DHG. Noticed some Algae growing, hoping cutting the Photo period and the excel will help, plus going to get a few ottos.

Anyway, here are some pics!

FTS

Overhead

Closeup of DHG growing in

Close up of Cardinal plant

Sword

And a behind the tank shot to see the crypts
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New Plants and Growth - 2 Month Update

Wanted to update with some new pics. Added some Alternanthera reineckii Mini and some Frogbit that I got from a couple users here. Also put my manzanita wood back in. I also added 1 Albino BN Pleco, 3 Otos, and 6 False Julii Cory Cats. I have 10 Celestial Pearl Danios being shipped that will hopefully come in tomorrow. On to the pics!

New FTS.

Here is the AR Mini up close.

Here is some of the carpet growth of the DHG. Really happy with it. Bonus cory.

My Amazon Sword has really taken off. Already two baby plants, can't wait to replant them.

Not a good pic but here is the frogbit. This has exploded! Tripled in amount in just a couple weeks. You can see to the right I bought some egg crate to use as a wall to keep the frogbit from getting near the filter

Cory resting.

Kinda hard to see, but wanted to show something I think is cool. Under this main rock, right in between the AR mini or the left and right, my BN Pleco has borrowed and formed his own cave. Pretty cool.

Thats it, thanks for stopping!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode