new fishroom build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
new fishroom build

So, rather than going nice and slow one tank at a time; I decided to go big or go home. Well as big as my home will allow for now anyway. Setting up the basement fishroom which is still a work in progress and is mid-build.

I've been posting a few videos to youtube if anyone's interested in checking that out: https://www.youtube.com/user/lksdrinker

So far I've got a 72 gallon bowfront, 2 x 55 gallons, 2 x 20 high, 20 long, a 29 gallon, a 30 gallon, 6 x 10 gallons, a 5 gallon, and a 7(?) gallon cube.

Here is a bit of an overview shot showing one half of the room. As you can see, space is very limited down here and I'm fitting tanks into some nooks and cranies!

Here is the 72 Bowfront with 2 AC 110s and a Home Depot 48" 2 bulb T5HO with a before and after of the homemade reflector i fabbed up. Dirt substrate (MGOC) capped with pool filter sand and some gravel:

The 20 long with a Fluval canister (305 maybe?) and a finnex planted +; (which I've since added a pressurized co2 setup). Dirt substrate (MGOC) capped with pool filter sand and a little pile of gravel:

The 29 gallon which is bare bottomed with some potted swords. Its got an AC50 along with a sponge filter. Plan is to use this as a growout tank for discus and it currently has 2 red turks along with 3 GBR:

One of the 55's (the other will be bare bottomed to grow out discus and will be directly below this one). This has an ac 70 and a (leaking) fluval 405 soon to be swapped out for a sun sun. Lighting is a 48" Finnex planted + (although I might swap the t5ho from the 72 gallon to this and vice versa). Dirt substrate capped only with gravel and no sand in this one:

And then this rack is holding 6 10 gallons, the 30 breeder and a 20 tall. The 10's up top are dirted and capped with pool filter sand (one on the right also has gravel); the second row going from left to right is just pool fiilter sand, just gravel, then an empty/bare bottom in the photo now has oil dri and the last one on the right is just gravel and plastic decorations. The 30 breeder and 20 tall are bare bottom at the moment and I'm not sure if they'll stay that way to act as qurantine and growout tanks or not yet. The majority of these tanks all have sponge filters and nothing else right not except for the gravel/plastic deco tank which has an ac50 on it right now.

Progressing along at a steady pace and hope to continue building, growing, collecting, updating, etc!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

Last edited by lksdrinker; 02-10-2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your 29g looks like my 10g right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is awesome!

Another addict in the fold!!!!

I've got 680G in 24 tanks in a 9 X 12 room. Yeah, there's some on the floor too.
I built and oversized finished stand for the 180G in the den and there's 3 29g's under it. The 25G (?) cube in the corner puts me just shy of the 1,000G mark. But I'm about finished with the greenhouse project and I'll FLY past that by the end of the summer, lol!

Not sure of how you do your water changes, but the absolute life-saver for me has been remote outlet controllers. I can turn pumps on and off without moving a step. Cheap as dirt too.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This can be an addicting hobby.....only if you're willing to admit to being an addict. I like to think of it more as being an enthusiast!

I hadn't yet totaled up my gallonage....seems to be 361 gallons spread out over 14 tanks right now. I'm close to being at max capacity in the basement (if only I could remove that stupid furnace, washer, dryer, etc) and I still have an empty 23 gallon flat back hex; as well as a spot in the living room where I'd like to eventually have a nice display tank. I've got a 4 foot length limit there and am hoping to find a 150 extra high for that spot eventually!

As far as water changes go, I'm using a python (well a no name water bed filler actually) and have a pvc setup going up and over the tanks to help make it a bit more "automated". I'll have to look into the remote outlet controllers as a possible future upgrade.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Some brief updates. I'll see if I can focus on one tank at a time here.

The 20L after the first planting. photo 1/25/15:

This is on 1/28/15:

2/3/15: Added pressurized co2

2/8/15: safestart in photo is to be added to my fishless cycle in a bucket(s)!

And just for the fun of it, some close ups of the plants pearling on 2/8/15. I've had planted tanks before but never added co2 so this is the first time I've had this happen in my own tank! Its the little things in life that put smile on your face right?!

And then of course I forgot to take photos last night when I added a few new plants and trimmed some of what was already in there!

Rich's Fishes
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 01:24 AM
Planted Member

Damn! Those tanks look nice, but that looks like a lot of maintenance! Do you ever find time to leave your house anymore?

I have an AQUARIUM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhes View Post
Damn! Those tanks look nice, but that looks like a lot of maintenance! Do you ever find time to leave your house anymore?
Thanks! and LOL....there have been a few late nights. But thats really just the setting up phase. Most of these tanks dont even have fish yet so I do see quite a bit of maintenance in my future

Rich's Fishes
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 02:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A few months ago, I saw a add on craigslist with 2 standing retail aquarium towers and he was pretty much giving them away (it was like $100 per tower if I remember correctly). I think each tower had 9 or 10 tanks ranging from 30 gallons on the bottom to 10 gallons across the top and it was all pre plumbed in the back. If I had the space I would have bought them both, but I rent a room and already have trouble finding space for the 5 tanks I have...

One day, I hope I can have a fish room...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Few Updated shots of the 20L. Everything else is pretty much the same right now. Trying to work through fishless cycles in most of the tanks and just waiting that out!

Rich's Fishes
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Some brief updates. I'll see if I can focus on one tank at a time here.

The 20L after the first planting. photo 1/25/15:

This is on 1/28/15:

2/3/15: Added pressurized co2

2/8/15: safestart in photo is to be added to my fishless cycle in a bucket(s)!

And just for the fun of it, some close ups of the plants pearling on 2/8/15. I've had planted tanks before but never added co2 so this is the first time I've had this happen in my own tank! Its the little things in life that put smile on your face right?!

And then of course I forgot to take photos last night when I added a few new plants and trimmed some of what was already in there!

Here is the newest shot of this 20 long.

The rest of the tanks are sort of just trudging along right now. Got some plants in a few but they're all still in a state of flux as I'm trying to cycle everything and just get it all read for fish!

Rich's Fishes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Most recent full tank shot of the 20 Long:

Rich's Fishes
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Planted Member

Just an FYI, those fluval tank heaters are not meant to be submerged if I have the correct model. It looks like the same model I have heating my reef tank. Not meant to be submerged.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They actually can be submerged

https://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/A781

"submersible"

IIRC they had to label them as not submersible originally because of some restriction in Canada
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 03:34 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
They actually can be submerged

https://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/A781

"submersible"

IIRC they had to label them as not submersible originally because of some restriction in Canada
Submersible and fully submersible are two different things. You might want to read the instruction manual, Line #8 in the second page " For CSA/North America version: Water must not rise above the MAX WATER LINE indicated"

So I imagine, if you have a max water line indicator on your heater, I would advise against submerging it all the way.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 09:20 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^

By definition submersible is fully submersible.

Again, it is the same heater sold around the globe, the only difference was labeling restrictions in Canada.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode