I decided to try my hand at a riparium because it combines two of my hobbies, and sort of makes sense to include a shoreline in an aquascape scene...
(This tank was originally introduced here: 25cm nano cube Riparium - The Planted Tank Forum , but I didn't know how to move the thread so I made another...)
Do! Aqua 25-c (4 gallon) + Mr aqua large 1.2gal HOB breeder box
finnex px360 + Seachem Matrix
23watt 6500k cfl in work lamp reflector
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
Betta (black and red)
orange sakura shrimp
Crypt wendtii 'tropica'
Crypt wendtii 'Mi Oya'
Anubias nana 'petite'
Hygrophila 'siamensis 53b'
Ceratopteris thalictroides (water sprite)
Heteranthera zosterifolia (Star grass)
Spathiphilum 'petite' (peace lily)
Pilea cardierei (Aluminum plant)
Pilea glauca 'aquamarine'
Chamedora elegans (neanthe Bella palm)
Ophiopogon japonicus (mondo grass)
Acorus gramineus 'variegatus' (sweet flag)
Schefflera elegantissima (False Aralia)
Hygrophila 'siamensis 53b
I was already in the process of making a nano 10" cube for shrimp and I wanted to see if I could make a believable riparium out of such a small tank... I started this tank as a dry start with moss and crypts back in early December...
To get over the fact that most riparium plants would overshadow the 10" of front to back tank space quite fast, I decided to use a hang on the back breeder box to house the planters and rafts... a finnex px360 canister filter takes water from the cube and sends it into the breeder box and then overflows back into the tank...
I mostly did this project over the Christmas holidays so my options for supplies were limited... I made my own riparium planters from acrylic sheeting custom made to fit the breeder box... I ended up using seachem matrix instead of hydroton, and used leftover aquasoil for the top layer... the rafts I made from 4 layers of craft foam sheets crazy glued together and drilled holes to fit the stems... they work very well but could be thicker. ..
Plants were also limited up here in frozen north, so I decided to try chamedora elegans from home depot, ophiopogon japonicus and acorus gramineus 'variegatus' from petsmart, pilea carderi and pilea glauca 'aquamarine' on the rafts and philodendron climbing up the emersed driftwood with the root dangling behind...
While the pilea and philodendron are starting to take off, I'm getting crown rot on some of the the chamedora shoots with some leaves drying up and the acorus seems dried out despite trying to keep the rhizomes above the water with very small roots and I only used matrix for this planter... the ophiopogon isn't doing much at all... I'm not sure if this is failure or just transitions... it's only been flooded since Jan 13th so I have to be patient and just fertilized for the first time today...
Somehow in the future I am going to obtain acorus gramineus 'ogon' and probably Cyprus dwarf sedge to replace the the background, I just have to wait on the local nurseries to start bringing them in for the spring. ..
The emersed driftwood is attached to an equal sized chunk below the surface...
I'm finding it hard to properly photograph the under water part so bear with me until I get some good shots with the dslr... I've tried with the light above and to the side...
I added 12 orange sakura shrimp and one perished so far