A Planted Tank for an Uber Car - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Planted Tank for an Uber Car

Hi all. I'm an Uber Plus driver in LA, in some markets they call it Uber Select. Uber pays the bills, but my passion is planted aquaria. I want to bring my work and passion together by building a planted tank in my car. I know, right now you are thinking of the ethical implications....This will be a planted tank. No fish, no inverts. I already have 110 volt power installed and wired into the car for my customers who use laptops etc. So I can easily use lighting, heaters etc.

A few considerations....

My vehicle is a BMW328
This tank will be small, likely 2 gallons max.
I have to figure out how to put a sealed top on the tank.
I have 3 seat belts for passengers, I can't take up any seating for the tank.
I would use the top of the center console, but the space would be limited.
I don't want to damage the car, So mounting brackets etc must install inconspicuously.
It would be great if I could remove the tank easily, yet, the tank must be fastened securely.

Perhaps you are thinking how silly this is. Consider that I spend 8-10 hours a day in my car, why not bring my enthusiasm for planted aquaria to my work place? Currently I have the Takashi Amano Nature Aquarium Books in my car for passengers to look at. I put them there during daylight hours and I have literally felt the stress level lower when passengers look through the books.

This will take some time to complete, but I figured that with some input I could get things figured out faster than trial and error on my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Consider doing dual nano tanks in the adjustable head rests?

Would recommend something like a handful of ramshorn, or MTS for a little activity in the tank, Marimo balls would float and bounce nicely and need very minimal lightin. And these items would not require much in the way of equipment.

Emersed Tub Club #27
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
Consider doing dual nano tanks in the adjustable head rests?

Would recommend something like a handful of ramshorn, or MTS for a little activity in the tank, Marimo balls would float and bounce nicely and need very minimal lightin. And these items would not require much in the way of equipment.
Great point I had not considered, only thing is that I would have to be in the backseat to see my scapes. However, the ease of installation is real. Googling for BMW wreckers who might have my interior color headrests....

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:16 PM
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
This is quite the strange idea but I get where you are coming from. This really got me thinking....if you have no fish or inverts and just plants then why not just do emersed?

Solves a lot of the issues by taking away the water.

-JP
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
This is quite the strange idea but I get where you are coming from. This really got me thinking....if you have no fish or inverts and just plants then why not just do emersed?

Solves a lot of the issues by taking away the water.
My instant reaction is that it would seem rather...hemp.

But yes, that would simplify the install.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OP you could do a 3 sided deal, so that you would be able to see the passenger side end view. So padded head rest behind you, the other 3 sides glass or more likely acrylic. Would recommend locking hinge style lid so you can do water changes and scaping.

You could do a column style off the console between the front seats, as well.

If small, definitely go with mini snails, and a decent amount of organic matter, perhaps nano marimos and micro chunks of "aqua turf" coated driftwood?

Good call on no fish or higher level inverts as heat and light plus low water quality would probably sicken or kill them. Keep a 2 liter of carbonated water in the trunk just in case you want it to bubble and shine for a customer.

Best of luck, will be following.

Emersed Tub Club #27

Last edited by Maechael; 02-06-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: meh
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
It's possible. There are examples online. But without tearing your interior up. Not much of a refined look. All I can think of is car sickness lol
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Submerged has me thinking I could have something going quickly with nothing more than a clip on light. Dumb question time. I have always done tanks with water, would a submerged tank have a dank smell? If so, is their a soil that wouldn't smell?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

How about one of these?
http://www.eco-sphere.com/
I enjoy anywhere with a fish tank/water feature way more then one without.

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Algae Grower

Wasn't there a pimp my ride episode where they installed a tank in a car?
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Those BioOrbs are nice. I'm hoping for something like this:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_...FIAQRA-vi.html

That one is way too big though.

The other option is to make a zen garden that people could scape, but then it would have no plants....

I'm embarrassed to say this, but the tank would need to be removable. For example. Friday night is a money night doing the drunk shift. 6 p.m. - 3 a.m. No way I'm going to leave the tank in after 11 p.m. Drunk don't know how clumsy they are.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralbandit View Post
How about one of these?
Gorgeous, but I don't get to plant it.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralbandit View Post
How about one of these?
I had a colony of those Hawaiian Red Shrimp before...great seahorse food

The "ecosystems" are really cool looking, but I'd do some research on them first. From what i can ascertain the shrimp are slowly cannibalizing themselves due to the limited amount of available food
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could start with plants growing out of the ashtray perhaps?

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Perhaps build it into the passenger seat headrest?

There wish be a lot of swishing and sloshing, so get something with a sealed lid or fashion your own. Also acrylic would be.. safer.

It will get too hot in SoCal even for halocaridina rubra when your car isn't running.

current:

| retired:

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode