Planted 65g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Planted 65g

This is my first planted tank, so I've been super excited to get it all setup! Finally finished planting the final plants this afternoon.

Equipment:
1. Pre-drilled 65g tank
2. Sump filter
3. GLA CO2 regulator/tank
4. Sera Flore 500 CO2 reactor
5. Cal Aqua Labs Pearl Drop Checker
6. Milwaukee pH monitor
7. Eheim 150w heater (x2)
8. Finnex heater controller
9. Coralife UV Sterilizer 9w
10. Ecoxotic E-Series 90 (x2)
11. Eheim 3000 pump
12. Hydor Koralia Nano 240

Substrate:
1. ADA Power Sand (3 bags)
2. ADA Amazonia (normal type) 2 bags
3. ADA Amazonia (powder type) 1.5 bags

Plants:
Rotala sp. Green
Alternanthera Reineckii
Alternanthera Reineckii 'mini'
Hygrophilia Polysperma
Myriophyllum Tuberculatum
Myrio 'red'
Ludwigia Inclinata var. Verticillata 'Cuba'
Anubais Barteri 'nana'
Hydrocotyl sp. Japan
Staurogyne Repens
Blyxa Japonica
Eleocharis 'belem'
Riccardia Chamedryfolia

Here's a picture after the last planting and fill today. This would be day three since it's been set up. Water is still cloudy, but gradually improving with large water changes and patience. ADA Amazonia is pretty notorious for clouding water for some time.

Still want to add hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia' to the back left corner, but having some trouble finding some. Found some! It's on the way now.

Anyway. Will keep this updated as things progress. Hope this is successful!

Last edited by mmcgill829; 02-07-2015 at 05:29 AM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Not adding any ferts as of yet. Figure the aqua soil has enough nutrients for a while. I did, however, go ahead and buy the GLA pos-pro fert pack plus iron to be ready when I need it.

Any tips/hints on when I'll know I need to begin?
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice setup! when you get some angustifolia, you gonna be glad you did, I started out with two plants July last year and now the right side of my tank is planted with the clippings, its a really good plant because you can use it as a foreground/midground/background plant, with high light and co2 it will grow fast and have 4-5 clippings on each plant,
I'll take a pic of my tank tonight and post it to show you, but these plants take up a lot of space with their leaves so with your set up i would definitely use it as a background plant.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDashJ View Post
Nice setup! when you get some angustifolia, you gonna be glad you did, I started out with two plants July last year and now the right side of my tank is planted with the clippings, its a really good plant because you can use it as a foreground/midground/background plant, with high light and co2 it will grow fast and have 4-5 clippings on each plant,
I'll take a pic of my tank tonight and post it to show you, but these plants take up a lot of space with their leaves so with your set up i would definitely use it as a background plant.
Thanks! Good to hear about the angustifolia! I want to add it to the back left corner in order to help add some balance on that side with all of the red. Look forward to seeing the picture of your tank!
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 11:47 PM
Algae Grower

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150206_180652[1].jpg
Views:	152
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	426169
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Looks so healthy! Seems like a great plant.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 02:18 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah this pic doesnt do it justice, it propagates really well
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Yeah this pic doesnt do it justice, it propagates really well
Yeah, it seems the hygrophila genus of plants has a pretty good track record of being good growing plants. Polysperma is pretty much regarded as a weed. It's a nice plant though, I think!

Last edited by mmcgill829; 02-07-2015 at 04:28 AM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 04:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Nice hardscape and plant positioning! That log, second from the right, looks like it doesn't belong though, reminds me of a firewood log? Maybe replace it with another accent plant?

current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| retired:

|
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Nice hardscape and plant positioning! That log, second from the right, looks like it doesn't belong though, reminds me of a firewood log? Maybe replace it with another accent plant?
Thanks! I spent a lot of time figuring out how to position the wood. That particular piece is important to the integrity of the whole. Let me show you.

This piece helps hold the piece on the far right and the one just left of it that's stick up in place. It's base is curved to allow this. Also, you may be able to see the little cup in the wood where I've added soil to allow the HC Japan to grab hold of. Once everything grows in, it should look better. I do agree, I wasn't particularly loving the way it looks on top -- I wish it were more pointed -- but it ended up being necessary in order to make the other pieces work the way I wanted.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Also, I'd like to eventually get that log covered in moss. At least the top. I'll have to wait for now as it's pretty tough to track down a nearby source of riccardia chamedryfolia. I like how this specific moss looks.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Four days in, the water is still cloudy. It isn't extreme -- I can see everything in the tank -- but I'm starting to wonder if I should be doing anything else.

I have read that it can sometimes take a month for water to get clear with ADA aqua soil and to just do many water changes per week to help combat this. I've done about 50% water changes every day since the tank has been set up. After the first two days there was vast improvement, but it seems stuck where it's at now.

Hopefully it will clear up soon. I'm concerned the cloudiness is impacting light levels.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgill829 View Post
Thanks! I spent a lot of time figuring out how to position the wood. That particular piece is important to the integrity of the whole. Let me show you.

This piece helps hold the piece on the far right and the one just left of it that's stick up in place. It's base is curved to allow this. Also, you may be able to see the little cup in the wood where I've added soil to allow the HC Japan to grab hold of. Once everything grows in, it should look better. I do agree, I wasn't particularly loving the way it looks on top -- I wish it were more pointed -- but it ended up being necessary in order to make the other pieces work the way I wanted.
You could always try to attach it with string of some sort :p.

Software Developer~ |
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
You could always try to attach it with string of some sort :p.
Attach what, exactly? haha

Bump: So, everyone is right about the ADA aqua soil leeching ammonia. I've done daily 50% water changes since setting it up. Did these tests before doing my water change today....less than 24 hours after a water change. The ammonia is crazy! Thankfully, the more water changes I do, the less apparent the cloudiness is.

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Ah I see, you could chop off the top, but the moss or anything green is a good idea too, just attach the moss with fish lines like mistuhmarc said, or maybe anubias petite

current:

| retired:

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode