Jessie's 125 - v.4.5-ish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Jessie's 125 - v.4.5-ish

Hi everyone!

My name is Jessie (some of you may know me from other forums, years ago) and I have been in the hobby for about 20 years. After dabbling in Tanganyikan and New World cichlid breeding, I fell in love with the planted tank niche. Only in the last 7-8 years have I been aggressively involved with my 125g. However, over the last 4 or so years, life occurred and my tank went from low, to no, to bad maintenance.Over the last year, I have had the opportunity to redo my tank and have been collecting new...:
  • Lights: AquaticLife 72" 12x39w T5HO with Geismann Middays, Aquaflora, and (can't remember the brand) UV Reds
  • Filter: Fluval FX6 with supplemental Eheim Pro
  • Substrate: Eco-Complete topped with Fluorite Black Sand
  • Regulator: GLA w/ 2 bubble counters

Here's the intended hardscape:

And as of 20 minutes ago, filled with a modest portion of Fissidens (glued to the big floating lighter wood) and Rotala green "narrow" from a friend, and a lil leftover Anubias I had:

I have a few other shipments of plants from various sources on their way, as well.

Here's a few versions of the tank over the last 7 years:

Thanks for looking, I'll keep you all posted as the tank evolves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Beautiful scapes! I hope to one day get just one large tank instead of multiple small ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's definitely a handful, but really fun because of all the options

Watch me grow.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Will you get Denison Barbs again?
Looks like you had a great community selection in old pics!

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

CoralBandit - I still have them They are in a 29g holding tank while the big house settles. I have a total of 5 and they are about 5 years old. I adore them.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hello again! Little update.

So far I've received 3 of 4 shipments of plants so far, so the scaping has begun. One came from AquariumPlants.com, and I give them a B+. Downoi was sad, Hygro. pinnatifida is obviously emersed, and they didn't tell me the Rotala wallichii was being substituted with Didiplis diandra, but that's ok, I like that too.

From the left of the tank, you'll see Cobomba purple in the back with Bacopa caroliniana (from PetsMart of all places - impulse buy) in front and Crypt bronze in front of that.
Glued to the wood are the saddest Anubias barteri you've ever seen.
Over to Limnophila hippuroides into Rotala green mini, into Downoi. Over to Vessuvius swords, down to S. Repens.
Over to Crinum calimnistratum (COOOL PLANT) and Didiplis diandra, to the Fissdens cultures on the stupid wood.
To more Bronze crypts and some sad Anubias, to Crypt Green (another impulse buy from PetsMart, what the hell) and then to what is very obviously emersed grown Hygro. pinnatifida.

Then the holy grail of shipments came today, in the form of a bag of Buces the size of my head. Talk about amazing. However, I've run out of super glue and rock work, lol, so upon attaining more tomorrow, I'll continue to attach them. For now, they are floating, lol.

I have another shipment of various neato stems coming this next week, as well.

Thanks again!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I see from your past expressions that you really like the jungle look. Is that the direction you'll be heading again this time?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tank is starting to look good again. It's always fun watching everyone's large tanks take shape. Join the 6 foot plus club, link is in my sig.

,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ROYWS3 - Yes, I'm all about the wild and crazy. Granted, with this scape, I intend on having more discipline with trimming and shaping. I have a vision in my head, let's see how it comes to fruition

sadchevy - I love my big tank (even though it's a bugger to move). So much room for changes and a large collection of plants. I also have a 29g that is currently being used to house my fish for the big tank. After this is all settled, I'll redo that one as well for a high tech as well. I'm going to be busy
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Finally charged the battery on my DSLR. Snapped a few new pics after getting the majority of the Buce glued to rockwork.

FTS:

That big driftwood will sink again, one day, I hope. Then all the strange rocks will find new placements/homes.

Left:

Right:

Some beauty Buces:

I'm not too sure on the exact varieties of the Buces. If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again for looking, more coming soon.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No experience with buces but I like the look.

,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Final shipment planted, still clearing:

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 01:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's lovely!

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 01:53 AM
Planted Member

Will look amazing when it grows out !
Good luck !
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
this scape is stunning great job!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode