5G Dwarf Puffer Tank (pic heavy) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
5G Dwarf Puffer Tank (pic heavy)

Most up to date shot:

First off, a quick math tip for anyone doing the fishless cycle! I believe the ammonia level is supposed to be dosed to 4 ppm. So you take the size of your tank, x Gallons, and convert it to mL. In my case, 5 gallons becomes 18927 mL. Then you do some cross multiplication 4/1,000,000=X/18,927. X= 0.0757 mL of PURE ammonia. I only found 10% ammonia by volume. So for me, that is about 0.75 mL of ammonia. I just dose on volume instead of drops. This can be applied to almost any tank, I believe. It has been working for me.

Lets get to the tank. It is a cheap, 5G, tank off of Amazon. I believe it was marked down to $23 when I got it. I started with some black gravel substrate and lava rocks for the hardscape. I used 100% silicone to help retain the shape for the lava rock.

Here it is in 'stock' form. I put a 7.5W heater under the gravel too.

I wasn't a fan of the stock hood lighting, so I did a little DIY.

Popped off the plastic cover

Removed the LED bar

Sized up a run of new LEDs

Here is the 'stripped' hood

Ran the power cord for the LEDs

Installed them on a small piece of wood, cut to the shape and length of the original LED bar

Used some silicone to keep moisture out

Here is the remote for the dimmer and the thermostat.

Here is a video of the hood. I'm just scaling through from 100%-0% and tapping the preset levels.

Then I got some java moss with snails, which is perfect! I made a wall in the back by stacking lava rocks. I also tied some java ferns to certain rocks.

Here is the full tank shot. I'm happy with it. It is cycling right now and hopefully building up some snail population for the puffer.

I know some of the moss has come loose. I filled it up too quickly it seems. The plan is to just house a single dwarf puffer and a couple different types of snails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Freemananana; 02-04-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Up to date shot added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good. I just wouldn't plan on housing any snails. I thought the same way and added my puffers in with a thriving colony of snails. The snail population was zero within a few days and they were very fat puffers lol. So if those are the only snails you have, you might want to separate them.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
^+1. Raise snails in another tank. I get free pond snails from my local lfs weekly (50+ each time) and they are gone within 24 hours. And my puffer has a real big belly for a day.

If in doubt, add more plants!

My not-enough-plants-but-not-enough-space-to-put-anymore-so-will-start-going-up-box-of-water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nice job! Thanks for all the pics, love threads like this!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I will! I have a 5G bucket with the rest of the moss and hopefully I can keep snails going in there and transfer a few. I got A LOT of moss for free with a snail infestation. I actually have a small amount of snails in my 30G that I will just catch and put in here. At least, that is the plan.

I'll ask my LFS for some pond snails when I pick up some fish.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm actually considering restocking my 5.5 with a puffer. All that's in there now are a few feeder quality endlers, their fry, and some otos that I'm thinking of moving to my new tank.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My wife loves the puffer and it is going to be in our bedroom, so that's as far as my decision making went. I hope it will be a good choice. Otos are awesome. I'll be putting some of those in my living room tank.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
update or rip?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
update or rip?
It has long since been taken down in favor of a larger aquarium. I'm not much for multiple tanks. Two is my limit and I traded this for a 20g shrimp tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode