Journal: My First 10 Gallon Tank- Rescape Aug 2nd (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Journal: My First 10 Gallon Tank- Rescape Aug 2nd (56k)

Hello all,

I have been lurking around on this forum for quite a while I just haven’t posted anything. There are so many beautiful tanks out there; I couldn’t help but to look at most of them.

Well, I guess you could say that I am a complete noob, because I got my very first tank around 5 months ago. I wanted a Betta, so I got a 10 gallon tank, blue gravel, which is the worst decision I ever made, and some plastic plants. Then I cycled the tank (don’t worry, I cycled the tank PROPERLY, ammonia and all) and put in my new Betta, Aqua. All was fine for a while, but then my taste completely changed. (Fast enough?) I hated the blue gravel and the plastic plants. It all just looked so Fake. so I decided to change to planted. I went out and got a 20Lb bag of Eco complete, switched the incandescent blubs to 2- 10 watt compact fluorescents and, of course, the plants. I got 1 java fern, Anubias, crypt Wendtii and hornwort, since it is a low light tank. Also some stones from my backyard. (I boiled them for 3 hours, scrubbed them and did the vinegar test.) Aqua seemed much happier, and made a huge bubble nest! Months passed, and I added many more plants, driftwood, Amano shrimp, and Neon Tetras. (Aqua just ignores them, and they just avoid him. No fights or nipping in my tank!)

So, here are the specs:

Plants:
• 8 Giant Hygro Stems (Big Als)
• 12 Tropical Vals (Big Als)
• 2 Hornwort Bunches (Big Als)
• 2 Anubias Barteri (Big Als)
• 1 Anubias Barteri Nana (Big Als)
• 6 Crypt Wendtii (Big Als)
• 1 Tiger Lotus (Big Als)
• 1 Java fern (Big Als)

Fish:

• 1 Betta (Big Als)
• 8 Neon Tetras (Big Als)
• 5 Amano Shrimp (Big Als)

Equipment:
-20 Lb Eco-Complete
-2 10-Watt compact flourescents (makes 2 WPG)
-Heater (temp. 79˚F)
-Filter
- PH around 7.8
- No CO2 (low light tank)

I don’t really add any ferts and I don’t think I will until there becomes a nutrient deficiency in the plants.

And, finally, pictures:

Here is how the tank started out:

Heres how it was when I first got the plants:

And here it is now:

( I don’t even know how none of the neons were in that picture… :P)

Here are some of the animals:

Aqua:

Shrimp:

And… Tetras!:

And here is a video of one of my Amano shrimp searching for food:

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/d...manoShrimp.flv

So.. there you have it! What do you guys think? I don’t think this even compares to some of the amazing tanks you guys have, but I like it.

Last edited by Northern_Wind; 08-03-2009 at 02:00 AM. Reason: too many pictures, needed to put 56k in title.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like it!! It looks very cool!! I can't think of any suggestions...except for getting even more plants...and posting more pics!! LOL.
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Nice tank! Are the light bulbs the spiral kind? I'm thinking about setting up a similar tank for my shrimps. Keep posting pics

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much guys!

I am definitely going to be getting more plants, probably some taller Val's, I just don't want to crowd my fish!

Yes those are the spiral ones. I got them at Wal-Mart. They were only $10.00, so I thought, why not.

Another picture:
I had to trim the green hygro and some hornwort, the hygro was almost touching the lights and blocking it for the other plants.
You can see 3 animals in this pic: A shrimp, Betta and Neon. I don't know why there aren't more neons in these pics, I guess they just like to hide in the "grass".

post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Not really an update, just a few more pictures of the animals in the tank:

A snail:

Some more Shrimp:

post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Algae Grower

Great tank! It's nice to see your progression from fake, beginner stuff to a more advanced natural design. I was pretty much the same when I started out about a year ago. I had to eventually add ferts to my tank as the plants grew and started showing deficiencies. Hope all goes well!

post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Well, when the plants start showing deficiencies, I have a bottle of flourish on hand... I just need to find a eye dropper to measure out the correct amount of liquid.

Update!

I went out and got a new plant yesterday. It is called a Crypt Willisii. I really love the colour and leaf shape. I was also searching for more shrimp, but none to be found.

Here it is:

And a picture of the tank:

post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your tank looks great. It looks like it even 10g tank!
One question, why you put rocks in there when you going its covered up. Or is it the picture to small that i can't see? Oh and is it the algae or did your light turn more yellow?
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
I put many rocks in at the start, but I reduced them when I added more plants.
Now I have 3, and one is black in colour, so it is hard to see. The 2 others have been sort of covered up, because the Vals are getting taller. I need to do some re-organizing.

The water is turning yellow because the driftwood I put in is leaching yellow tannins into it. If I do a water change, it will be less yellow. When I took that picture, I needed to change the water.

Here is the picture with the rocks circled:
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Update!

Not much to update, the plants have been growing well; the lotus has really taken off! It now has 9 leaves!
And one of my Amano shrimp is berried. (is that what it's called?) I actually saw them copulate. It took like 45 min of them on top of each other, then the next day the female had eggs. It was interesting to watch. I didn't even know what was going on.
Too bad I cannot separate the mother to give birth, and raise the salinity. I want shrimp babies.
Oh well, I guess the shrimp are happy.
Here are some pictures:

The tank:

The shrimp... making babies:

The berried shrimp:

And the eggs:
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Wow such a nice tank indeed , nice planted and healthy tank! Gratz on the berry!

Keep us updated looks awesome!

FISH, SHRIMPS, AND PLANTS RULE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Click below
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Yet again!
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Planted Member

Amano's are great, but if you want some shrimplets I'd get some RCS. They breed like crazy, and in a nicely planted tank you'd have a colony in no time, without any real input on your part.
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was thinking about them, the little shrimps are so cute, but I don't really want to be overrun.
I am indecisive about having tons and tons of shrimp. My parents think that too many would be creepy. So I am stuck with 5 shrimp for now. I guess I get to "know" the individual ones more, and they all get their fair share of food.
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to dirkgent001
great looking 10g! those bog woods will tan your water for months. I had a nano set up a while back with some wood and couldn't get the wood to stop leeching. Anybody have a good solution to this? a little is ok, but too much makes the water too "murky" for my liking. Sticking to rocks for now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode