10 gallon low tech moss and shrimp tank - Setup stage (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
10 gallon low tech moss and shrimp tank - Setup stage (56k)

While I wait for my 2 new tanks to mature, ideas keep floating as I browse through the forums and find wonderful scapes and plants. My latest addiction is moss. I have an old truvu 10g tank, a hang on filter, a 50W heater and a 24" T5HO so I wondered whether I should put them back in use. Cannot afford to buy any more expensive aquarium gadget. Nor in mood of any more DIY, so this one has to be low tech and low maintenance. Moss fits excellent with this profile (no CO2). With a basic filter and a moss only tank, shrimps seems to be ideal for fauna.

But one thing for sure, no java moss or christmas moss in this tank. Already have those in my other tanks. I am thinking

Fissidens Zippelianus
Fissidens Fontanus
Fissidens splachnobryoides
Weeping moss
Flame moss
Peacock moss

Any ideas?

Also does anybody close or local to Bay Area, CA (or not) has any of these for sale?

I have absolutely not thought of the scape, substrate etc. or studied about the moss, so any and all suggestions (co2, fert, substrate, photo period, PH, GH....) are welcome.

I will post my pictures later on (nothing much to post at this stage other than an empty tank)

Patience is the name of the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Last edited by malaybiswas; 01-26-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
mosses can survive in basically all conditions you throw at them. they prefer cooler water tho, but so do shrimp so dont set the heater above 70-72. good luck with the shrimp!
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
mosses can survive in basically all conditions you throw at them. they prefer cooler water tho, but so do shrimp so dont set the heater above 70-72. good luck with the shrimp!
Thank you chris127.

I am thinking of keeping 2 varieties of shrimp. Any suggestions on combo?

Also does any other shrimp has tendency to climn out like amanos do sometimes?

|
|
|

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here are some combinations I am thinking of about the shrimp

1. CRS & Amano
2. Bumble bee & Amano
3. Tiger & Amano (replaced CRS & ghost)

please poll or suggest a different combination of color + utility.

|
|
|
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Either 1 or 2. 1 if you are using a black substrate that will be visible, but bumble bees are less common than crs. I love willow and flame moss, nice contrast.

-Chris

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Anti iwagumi

ghost? no ghosts, theyre evil!!! i like super tigers and miniamis, but thats me second would be super high grade CRS. i wish i could keep shrimp alive
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
Either 1 or 2. 1 if you are using a black substrate that will be visible, but bumble bees are less common than crs. I love willow and flame moss, nice contrast.
Thank you for your suggestion clwatkins.

I think I will cover the entire substrate with moss carpet, so the base will green. Since moss really does not need substrate (or am I wrong), I am inclined to regular pea gravel from petco/petsmart (no fancy aquasoil).

I love bumble bees but yes they are not common. AFA sells bumble bees and they breed them too. Since I am close to SF I have easy access but they are soooo expensive ($10-$20 each )

|
|
|
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
ghost? no ghosts, theyre evil!!! i like super tigers and miniamis, but thats me second would be super high grade CRS. i wish i could keep shrimp alive
So increasing #3 does not seem to be high on anybody's list. So probably that will be out. Hoping to get some more opinions.

Thanks for the suggestion chris127. And I have a couple of questions
1. Why do you say "evil"? Just for my knowledge
2. I checked out the tiger shrimp profile...wonderful...that comes in consideration immediately. What are miniamis...did not find anything...do you have a link/photo?

|
|
|
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

$1000 shrimp!!!!!!!!!!! check out this link

http://www.tetra-fish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7348

|
|
|
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Anti iwagumi

minamis are wild type neocaridinas. theyre subtle and natural looking imo i'll be getting some for the mini m

ghosts will eat your sick/small ornamental shrimp and out compete them for food you feed them. and they just look down right creepy!
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Anti iwagumi

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
wow i go to that site and yet i've never seen that thread but WOW!!!!

post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I like the minamis too. Where do you buy them from chris127? Local or online?

Is there any good online vendor who specializes in shrimp?

|
|
|
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by connordude27 View Post
wow i go to that site and yet i've never seen that thread but WOW!!!!
probably bcos it hibernated over a year ago

|
|
|
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

While the shrimp poll continues, I have to search for mosses first. Anybody who has and want's to sell
Fissidens Zippelianus
Fissidens Fontanus
Fissidens splachnobryoides
Weeping moss
Flame moss
Peacock moss
or any other moss except java and christmas, please PM me with pics and cost.

|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode