180g In-wall Set-up (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
180g In-wall Set-up (56k warning)

Well this was a 180 reef but I decided to switch to planted to keep it easier. This is my first planted so I may put foot in mouth but everyone here has been very helpful and all advice as been appreciated. It is an in-wall set-up that is see thru. We may change that depending.

The tank itself is a 180 gallon acrylic from Midwest Custom Aquariums and has 1 overflow against the outside wall. I have a 55 gallon sump with not much but heaters in there. I'm looking at adding some bio-balls and I have a phosban reactor that i filled with filter floss sandwhiching some carbon for machanical and chemical filtration. I have a pressurized CO2 system with a 20# tank. A Milwaukee PH controller set at 6.5 (which the tank seems to maintain by itself). Turning over about 900gph. I have about 18 gallons of aquariumplants substrate in the bottom of display.

I purchased 2 large pieces of driftwood and attached them to ceramic tiles to hold them down. We put a couple plants in and need some help idintifying them.

Lighting is 3x 250w DE HQI 10k bulbs with 384w actinics. I am dosing PPS pro. Added a few platty's and guppies to get things going a bit.

We need to add a bunch more plants. We have a few ppicked out that we like but would love to hear some ideas on what ya'll think would look good. There is a full tank shot below as well as some un-identified plants we bought on a whim. We order a custom aquascape from aquariumplants.com but haven't heard anything thus far. My wife and I are getting kind of anxious to get more plants in. Any suggestions would be great!!! Thanks for looking and any advice you all may have!!!!

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...arium/Planted/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
For PPS with that much light you will have really short Photoperiods. Make sure you completely understand the PPS Pro before you start dosing.
What kind lighting of lighting do I need with PPS-Pro?

PPS-Pro works with lots of different lighting setups. The general guidelines are:

Low Light ( Under 2 wpg) 10-12 hours a day
Medium Light (2.0 3.0 wpg) 8-10 hours a day
High Light ( 3.0 4.0 wpg) 7-8 hours a day
Very High Light (4+ wpg) 6 (Expert level)

2.0 Wpg 12 hours
2.2 Wpg 11 hours
2.4 Wpg 10 hours
2.7 Wpg 9 hours
3.0 Wpg 8 hours
3.4 Wpg 7 hours
4.0 Wpg 6 hours

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ysis-feedback/

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

What will happen if we use too much light?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Most likely a major algae war. With that much light EI would be best. I ran that much light over a tank before and it was a fight for stability even though the light was only on for a few hours a day. Your lighting is fine if you run lots of CO2 keep a drop checker light green/ yellowish and EI dosing you should be fine as nothing should be limited. Also Start your lighting out for shorter periods and work your way up.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgymatt View Post
Algae!
ya got me.... How much HM you got Matt?

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Most likely a major algae war. With that much light EI would be best. I ran that much light over a tank before and it was a fight for stability even though the light was only on for a few hours a day. Your lighting is fine if you run lots of CO2 keep a drop checker light green/ yellowish and EI dosing you should be fine as nothing should be limited. Also Start your lighting out for shorter periods and work your way up.
Don't we have to do 50% weekly WC with EI? The hope of planted was to have to avoid some maintainence.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgens View Post
Don't we have to do 50% WC with EI? The hope of planted was to have to avoid some maintainence.
If you want LOW mainentce you need to look into a LOW Light/ LOW Tech setup. High Light involves weekly maintence sometime more.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to Charles Crews
What kind of substrate did you use on your tank? And what was the process in attaching the driftwood to the tiles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like that substrate, whatever it is. It looks sharp. I am a big driftwood fan, so I would get that "stick" out, and get MORE driftwood, but maybe place it forward, or back, but not horizontal to the other pieces.
The plants you have look to me to be
1. anacharis.
2. that red plant? A tiger lilly?
3. Hornwort
4. Red foxtail, I think.
All those plants are fast growers, not sure about red fox.....and lighting but imo the others can thrive in a low or high light set up.
Good luck, and nice start.

80G Planted Rescape

55G Planted

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

BTW = I love Red Fox Tail. I think it is an awesome plant and have some growing in my 80G. If that is what you have it will give your tank some nice red color without much effort.

80G Planted Rescape

55G Planted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode