Thought I'd randomly update this thread with a progress shot. It's been almost 7 months since its birth.... Some trimming was done at the beginning, but now it's just left alone.
The amazon sword still has some sort of deficiency problem. Leaves have holes in them and some are quite thin and delicate (ignore the broken leaf...it got stuck in the tube when siphoning..lol). I'm dosing EI at rates that I used to dose my high tech tank, but the deficiency hasn't gone away. I haven't bothered looking into it much, though.
I must have added the fish not too long after the last post. I bought 5 head-and-taillight tetra, 10 orange/black fish of which I can't remember the name of (check picture below), and 3 catfish which I've also forgotten the name of. I've also inherited a number of snails which have multiplied greatly over time....I'd prefer they aren't there but the care factor isn't high enough to do anything about them. I'm keen to get more of the fish that I have at the moment...probably double of what I bought initially...but I can't justify the cost.
3 of the head/taillight tetras have disappeared. I noticed one missing in the first couple of months. No idea if it died and got eaten, or if it jumped and I'm going to find it rotting behind the desk somewhere. The other two are confirmed suicides/long jump candidates. I think I'm also missing one of the orange/black fish...it's hard to tell in a densely planted tank, but pretty sure I've only ever counted 9 for a while now.
It's been an enjoyable tank to have. More fun than my high tech ever was. Probably because this one is successful and interesting to watch.
I know, the glass is dirty and I'm too lazy to get the SLR out, and the water level is low because water change day is coming up...deal with it