Nice Rack (4x10) - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Nice Rack (4x10)

Current Picture See last post for more

Figured the name would catch some attention.
I designed a rack, had a buddy build it and finally got everything filled up so I figured I would combine them all into one journal to help track the progress.

The rack is designed so that the bottom row sticks out about 8 inches further from the top rack. This was done for easier maintenance and to leave room for a shelf behind the bottom row to hide equipment. I have a friend who is a framer who built it in less then a half hour. Spray painted black with a prefinished shelf on top and it was done. It's been great but a few small changes I would have made is allowing more room between tank rows (for easier access) and upping the height a few inches (for viewing).

The rack, pre-tanks.

With all of the tanks filled.

Last edited by Tvadna; 03-06-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: west
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lighting: 2x36" Satellite+ Freshwater LED (one for each row)
Pressurized CO2 manifold from 20lb tank. All on CO2 except bottom right tank.

The tanks

Top Left:
Aquasoil/Driftwood
HC (dwarf baby tears)/Potamogeton Gayi
Newly setup. Probably will house shrimp or breeding rams

Top Right:
Aquasoil/Rock
Modified HOB Filter & CO2 diffuser & heater in one
DHG Belem/Potamogeton Gayi/Erio Parkeri
3 Gold Ram juveniles/Orange Rili Shrimp

Bottom Left:
Dirt capped w/ Eco Complete/Rocks/Slate
Modified penguin biowheel HOB filter & CO2 diffuser in one
Stauro Repens/Crypt Parava/Pogostemon Erectus/Rotala Green/Rotala Colorata
Breeding pair of Blue Rams/4 young Gold Rams

Bottom Right:
Eco Complete/Driftwood/Lava Rock
2x Sponge Filter
Java Fern/Anubias Barteri/Moss
Dozens of GBR Juveniles that have grown out from fry

Don't get caught with your plants down
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

BL
GBRs have spawned for their third time. The first two were in the gravel and not successful. They ate the eggs over night. This time is more promising already as they are on their third day with eggs and are guarding them fiercely. This is the first time they have chose a flat rock as their spawning spot. The other differences are that the lights are left on but dimmed down at night and there are other fish in the tank. I had no room in any other tank so 4 gold rams are in the tank with them acting as dither fish. They're not my first choice as dither fish since they are starting to take a beating but it has been working out so far. I expected the eggs to hatch today but I made the mistake of unplugging the heater last night when setting up the top left tank which may have delayed things until tomorrow.
I don't expect fry from this spawning as the GBRs are still young at 6 months old but the progress is promising thus far.

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
So are you a believer in dirt substrate? I have considered rescaping a 10 gallon with dirt. Miracle gro organic maybe? It has DHG growing in plain sand now, but the growth is nothing spectacular. I thought dirt might make the plants grow better. then what is something good to cap with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutl002 View Post
So are you a believer in dirt substrate? I have considered rescaping a 10 gallon with dirt. Miracle gro organic maybe? It has DHG growing in plain sand now, but the growth is nothing spectacular. I thought dirt might make the plants grow better. then what is something good to cap with?
Great question... If you asked 10 people you would get 10 different answers. I really believe it depends on the circumstances. If you plan on rearranging your tank, its not a great idea because disturbances and especially up rooting creates a mess of things. If you're going to be planting heavy root feeders like swords or crypts then it's probably a great substrate choice. I think the one thing I notice with dirt is that plants seem to do better long term. My stem plants seem to hold their bottom leaves better and are a bit stronger and healthier. One downside is that I get a slight bit more algae in my dirted tanks. I chose a fairly inert dirt that I attempted to mineralize by wetting and sun baking it a few cycles before using. If you use something that is loaded full of fertilizer you're bound to get excess algae at least in the beginning due to leaching into the water column.

As far as capping goes, you have some flexibility because your base substrate is the dirt. The cap just needs to be able to anchor plants down initially. The roots will eventually work their way down in to the dirted portion for nutrients. I wouldn't recommend sand however because I would think it would eventually just mix and settle into the dirt. I used eco complete because it is fairly cheap and small enough to allow me to anchor plants down. I have found that it should be about an inch or so deep, anything less just allows dirt to seep up through and cloud the water a bit. Also, when I vacuum the gravel the dirt gets sucked up through the gravel if I don't have it thick enough.

I was planning on doing the top two tanks dirted until I found the aquasoil. I jumped at the chance because I got a 5 gallon bucket for $10. From what I can tell, aquasoil is dirt. It appears that it has been compressed at high pressure into little round balls. When I take an individual ball, I can rub it into dirt especially if it's wet. So far it has been an excellent substrate for my DHG Belem. Maybe its the shape in combo with the size but the hairgrass has been spreading all over with ease and staying deep.

Hope that answers your questions and makes your decision easier.

Last edited by Tvadna; 11-08-2016 at 03:39 AM. Reason: grammar
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

BL
To my surprise the eggs have hatched and are still surviving. They are now at the wriggler stage. The female has lost interest in the last few days but the male is still as devoted as ever. He has even turned on his mate, guarding the wrigglers from her, one single gold ram that I left in the tank and any ottos that come to close. It will be interesting to see how much longer this lasts. I expect the fry to transition to the free swimming stage tomorrow and have prepared some BBS in the case that they survive to this point.

Here is a picture of the wrigglers. The only real visible portion of the fry are their eyes which appear to be bright orange dots or specks underneath the male.

post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvadna View Post
Lighting: 2x36" Satellite+ Freshwater LED (one for each row)
Pressurized CO2 manifold from 20lb tank. All on CO2 except bottom right tank.

The tanks

Top Left:
Aquasoil/Driftwood
HC (dwarf baby tears)/Potamogeton Gayi
Newly setup. Probably will house shrimp or breeding rams

Top Right:
Aquasoil/Rock
Modified HOB Filter & CO2 diffuser & heater in one
DHG Belem/Potamogeton Gayi/Erio Parkeri
3 Gold Ram juveniles/Orange Rili Shrimp

Bottom Left:
Dirt capped w/ Eco Complete/Rocks/Slate
Modified penguin biowheel HOB filter & CO2 diffuser in one
Stauro Repens/Crypt Parava/Pogostemon Erectus/Rotala Green/Rotala Colorata
Breeding pair of Blue Rams/4 young Gold Rams

Bottom Right:
Eco Complete/Driftwood/Lava Rock
2x Sponge Filter
Java Fern/Anubias Barteri/Moss
Dozens of GBR Juveniles that have grown out from fry

Maybe i have some crazy imagination, but the first tank.. The driftwood on the left looks like a persons face the driftwood on the right beside it looks like a pair of legs on its side... Anyways nice looking tanks lol
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 04:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really nice stand...
I recently helped my brother design and construct a stand for 4x 5 gallon tanks (for bettas) but I made it big enough to hold 4x 10 gallons. However, that stand has tanks directly above eachother...I really like how you offset the lower tanks to be in front. Alot easier to work on and even to just see the lower tanks. Nice work.

The tanks also look good...its fun to have a bunch of different aquascapes to work on and to see all in one view.

And congrats on the rams spawning, even if you don't have survivors from this batch, I'm sure it won't be too long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
I did have a bluegill once that ate cooked pasta and bologna rinds as a treat.
Then again, that fish would probably bite on a cigarette butt.

-Stef*
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvadna View Post
Great question... If you asked 10 people you would get 10 different answers. I really believe it depends on the circumstances. If you plan on rearranging your tank, its not a great idea because disturbances and especially up rooting creates a mess of things. If you're going to be planting heavy root feeders like swords or crypts then it's probably a great substrate choice. I think the one thing I notice with dirt is that plants seem to do better long term. My stem plants seem to hold their bottom leaves better and are a bit stronger and healthier. One downside is that I get a slight bit more algae in my dirted tanks. I chose a fairly inert dirt that I attempted to mineralize by wetting and sun baking it a few cycles before using. If you use something that is loaded full of fertilizer you're bound to get excess algae at least in the beginning do to leaching into the water column.

As far as capping goes, you have some flexibility because your base substrate is the dirt. The cap just needs to be able to anchor plants down initially. The roots will eventually work their way down in to the dirted portion for nutrients. I wouldn't recommend sand however because I would think it would eventually just mix and settle into the dirt. I used eco complete because it is fairly cheap and small enough to allow me to anchor plants down. I have found that it should be about an inch or so deep, anything less just allows dirt to seep up through and cloud the water a bit. Also, when I vacuum the gravel the dirt gets sucked up through the gravel if I don't have it thick enough.

I was planning on doing the top two tanks dirted until I found the aquasoil. I jumped at the chance because I got a 5 gallon bucket for $10. From what I can tell, aquasoil is dirt. It appears that it has been compressed at high pressure into little round balls. When I take an individual ball, I can rub it into dirt especially if it's wet. So far it has been an excellent substrate for my DHG Belem. Maybe its the shape in combo with the size but the hairgrass has been spreading all over with ease and staying deep.

Hope that answers your questions and makes your decision easier.

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered some Aquasoil Malaya. I have used gravel for decades, then a year ago I upgraded one tank (35 hex) to Flora Max. The plants really do well in the Flora Max and the difference is very noticeable over gravel. So then I upgraded a 55 to Eco Complete and again the results were VERY good. Now a have another 55 and. 10 left. So I am gonna do the 10 with ADA Aquasoil Malaya because it is a small tank and the AquaSoil is expensive. I want to see if Aqua Soil is "all that".

I went all out: I ordered the power sand special S, a 9 liter normal Malaya bag, a 3 liter Malaya powder bag, Penac P and W, Bacter 100, Tourmaline BC, and Super something. I purchased some Seiryu stones too. The lighting is going to be a Finnex Planted Plus. I have CO2 already and Metricide.

This is going to be an "experimental" tank for me. I learn a lot from other people on this Forum and apply that knowledge to my tanks. Now I am really falling off the deep end with dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nice rack

nice rack .

Last edited by rick dale; 03-09-2015 at 11:35 AM. Reason: a
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Wanna share any tips on breeding the GBR?
I knew the pic was a tank full of juvis right away!
More then 1/2 of my pairs end up with male tending eggs and fry.
Only 2-3 pairs can stay together with fry,and even then only for so long?1 week free swimming,and they need to be separated.

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralbandit View Post
Wanna share any tips on breeding the GBR?
I knew the pic was a tank full of juvis right away!
More then 1/2 of my pairs end up with male tending eggs and fry.
Only 2-3 pairs can stay together with fry,and even then only for so long?1 week free swimming,and they need to be separated.
I don't mind givng some tips, I'm probably better at fish relationships since they're easier to figure out then women. Hah
It sounds like you're past the point of getting eggs or getting them to hatch so i'll skip anything about eggs or conditioning.

There is actually two ways of raising fry. With and without parents. I've done it both ways. Leaving the parents in to raise them is certainly more rewarding though.

I'm currently in the same situation you speak of. My female has lost interest and the male alone is the sole guardian of the free swimming fry. I have left the female in the tank, for now. In the past, my pairs have usually figured it out on their own. It usually takes around 7 spawns before they have it figured out to the point where they co-parent to get the fry to a decent size. This pair is on their 3rd so they are still beating my expectations with free swimming fry despite the female quitting.

A couple of things that have helped me in the past are:
Dither fish - Ottos or Endlers have worked great in the past because they pose little threat to the fry. Working against a common enemy seems to strengthen the parents bond. Usually one parent takes majority of the fry tending while the other guards and chases the dither fish.
Removing other Rams - It seems that even though Rams form pairs they can get distracted by other Rams. I haven't really seen any bonds broken but 3rd wheel fish often display and vie for attention of one of my pairs. This flirting seems to weaken bond pairs. (This may be where I went wrong this spawn)
Leaving Lights On - For some reason I've had much more luck when I leave a light on in the tank. It almost seems like if the lights go off, the fry are out of sight and out of mind and the parents don't pick their role back up. I dim the lights back considerably to prevent excess algae. Moon lights don't cut it for me, it has to be a bit brighter.
Slow the flow - Any flow seems to kill my parents will. Any flow breaks up the fry cloud because they aren't strong enough to swim against currents. The work of keeping the fry together tends to be too much. I've had the most luck when I turn off the filters for the first week or so and add an aerator. The downside is that I have to do daily water changes. (I haven't done this yet and it may be my undoing on this spawn. My fry are getting blown all over the tank even though the flow is weak.)
Removing Threats - If the parents give up, the fry have no security blanket and are doomed. Any fish that is a threat to eat them must be removed including parents if you want them to have a chance.

It can wreak a bit of havoc on a planted tank for a few weeks if you're trying to raise fry. They don't necessarily go hand in hand but I've never had a tank not bounce back from a few weeks of raising fry.

I have in the past gotten impatient waiting for pairs to figure it out. I've had great success removing eggs and raising 90-95% of the eggs to juveniles. I have had zero success trying to remove fry once they are hatched or free swimming. Siphoning seems too much of a shock to newly hatched fish. Plus, any change in water quality just shocks them to death. The method I use when I remove them is a whole other topic. I'm more then happy to share about raising fry with/out parents if you'd like but I think I have covered what you're looking for.

post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

TOP RIGHT

The last few days but this tank is extremely cloudy. I haven't determined why and would appreciate some help figuring it out so I can fix it.
Here is what I can say about it:
Tank has been up and running for almost 2 months.
All of my fish and shrimp seem to be doing just fine.
10-20% water changes help but only temporarily.
Tested the hardness. KH - 3degrees. GH - 7degrees

The two possibilities I can think of are a bacteria bloom. As you can see the tank is more of a white cloudy then a green so I doubt it is algae.
The other possibility are the rocks I have used to aquascape. I bought them at an aquarium store so if this is the case, I'll be pissed. When I first bought them I soaked them because they were dusty and it seemed to discolor the water for a day or two. Wouldn't my hardness be much higher if the rocks were dissolving? I use about 80-90% RO water and the rest is really hard tap water. I apologize because I don't remember the name of this rock.

Any help would be appreciated.

post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Mitashade
If it's white cloudy (as it seems to be), bacterial bloom sounds likely to me. 90% water change should fix it. Maybe 2.

post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitashade View Post
If it's white cloudy (as it seems to be), bacterial bloom sounds likely to me. 90% water change should fix it. Maybe 2.
Sounds like a big risk with my shrimp in there.... I think i'm going to do 40% changes daily til it clears.

Is there any risk of bacterial bloom to shrimp, fish or plants?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode