Introducing my 10 gallon "Simple" tank (REBIRTH-622-09) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Introducing my 10 gallon "Simple" tank (REBIRTH-622-09)

Introducing my 10 gallon "simple" tank

Background/Goals:
This is just a tank for my bedroom. I needed a place to keep my flame tetra's and made this. It isn't going to be high tech, it isn't going to be low tech. It's going to be what i need to maintain it the way i want.

I call it "simple" for that reason, it is what it is, i will make what i have work.

I also am just doing my best to keep my hands out of the tank so that is the second part of the "simple" factor. No pants that need alot of trimming, just a few that i can trim and let regrow.

Last part of simple....money. Outside of the basic tank and tank needs, this tank has not, and probably will not cost me a dime in terms of plants/livestock.

Fish/Shirmp
Flame Tetra x6
Otto x2
Ghost Shirmp x2

Plants
I will update this when final but i don't see myself doing much more than what you see.

Anyway, i think in many ways it looks better than my 29 gallon right now. My 29 is becoming the "noah's ark" of plants, constant rescaping, etc. This is just a tank to let it do it's thing, no real plan

First pics (i was going to wait for more growth, it's only 2 weeks old):

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by talontsiawd; 06-23-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Woah those Flame Tetras hardly moved in those 3 pics lol

Great start!

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
Woah those Flame Tetras hardly moved in those 3 pics lol

Great start!
I think it's a combo of me never being in there (even though it's my bedroom, and a bit over overdoing the ferts). I was actually wondering how fast that would come up but yeah, they are pretty stressed at the moment.

-Matt

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to pandjpudge
those are some very interesting pieces of driftwood there and the tank looks good

[email protected] cRSX krew
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting as in good, or unique, lol. Two different things. The one on the left actually looks way cooler in person, the one on the right looks a bit better in the pics.

Thanks though, i honestly feel it has looked way better than my 29 gallon from the start and i've put way more effort into that one. This is just a "fill it out deal" for now but i think, and hope, it turns out well.

-Matt

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to pandjpudge
I agree the left one had more character than the right and interesting in a good/unique way. Though I can see the right dw looking good standing up covered in a moss

[email protected] cRSX krew
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:11 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Actually, I can see the right dw looking good standing up as well.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update..
So the HC grew in pretty well, however I moved things around and had to pull some out. I have clumps on one side because I decided to carpet the middle. That should grow in.

I have a snail problem, I used some stuff that was supposadly save for plants and fish. It had a minor effect on my plants, one fish died, both my ghost shirmps died.

I took the red plant out to put in my 29 gallon, I want to propagate it and have more, there will be some red plants of some sort in there.

New pics:

-Matt

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:51 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
This looks so much bigger than 10 gallons.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
This looks so much bigger than 10 gallons.
It took me awhile to get back to this but I am really happy on that comment because that was my main goal here. Just make it look big.

I trimmed back hard for now with intentions of minor changes most wouldn't notice but probably some new plants soon.

-Matt

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I like this tank, it definitely looks much larger than a 10g, nicely done!

I'm sorry to hear about the fish and shrimp loss, for future snail problems it's good to know that any chemical that will rid you of snails will kill your shrimp too, it's not safe for any inverts.

Are you still having a snail problem? If so I found that simply cutting back on feeding reduced my snail population dramatically, I think the population explosion of RCS also helped because they are better competitors for the same scraps, but i noticed the snail decline before I had very many RCS.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post

Are you still having a snail problem? If so I found that simply cutting back on feeding reduced my snail population dramatically, I think the population explosion of RCS also helped because they are better competitors for the same scraps, but i noticed the snail decline before I had very many RCS.
Yes and no. The stuff did work on snails (not perfectly), even though I won't use it again obviously. That cut it the snails down a great amount. Now I just smash them against the glass every few days. I don't know if I will ever be snail free but it don't bug me right now having a small amount.

-Matt

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So, I had my second bout with green water. See here-
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...es-inside.html

This tank hasn't really been as "simple" as I would like. I have lost 3 fish now too, I think 2 were from the snail stuff posted above, one is unknown.

Unfortunately the GW problem had negative effects on some plants, especially the HM. Nothing horrible but it kind of sucks. Anyway, here it is now, I plan to make some changes to it, nothing major, just swapping some plants back and forth between tanks.

-Matt

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I LOVE this little tank!! I hope you can get the fish problem sorted out!! I have Orange Von Rio (Flame) Tetras and I'd cry if I lost them. They are my most favorite fish in the world I think! They even replace Clownfish in my book. Actually, they are the main reason I'm making a 55 FW tank...otherwise, I'd go all SW.

Anyways, good luck with your tank and I REALLY think you are doing a great job on it.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Lol, unfortunately you will hate this tank because it has been half empty until today. I am now focusing on growing out the HC before I do anything else. There are no other plants in the tank but the hardscape is unchanged. Tetra's have been given away but may be replaced with same, not sure.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode