Morgan Freeman's Second 60-P - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Morgan Freeman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 61
Morgan Freeman's Second 60-P

Hello all!

It is time to set up another tank and start aquascaping!

Details and specs will be posted this Friday. I essentially just drained my first tank (which can be seen here) and bought new substrate. I have a lot to work with, however new hardscape materials could be in order as well.


The first pics you'll see will be a multitude of dry aquascapes. I'll simply build one, take a pic, and start over (like a zen garden), and then reflect back over the list to find my favorite.

Equipment (Started on 5/1/15)

Tank: ADA 60P

Filtration: Eheim 250 Classic Canister Filter

Lighting: Current USA Sat+ (2)

Hardscape: Seiryu Stones and IM Nuvo Twisted Rosewood

Substrate: 9 Liters of "Normal" Amazonia & 3 Liters of "Mini" Amazonia

Heater: 25w Eheim Jager

CO2 System: Milwaukee Regulator with 5lb Cylinder

Glassware: CO2 Art Small Pollen Glass Diffuser + CO2 Art Nano Lily Pipe (Outflow)

Additives: 2 Liters of Power Sand S


Livestock

- 26 Neon Tetras
- 2 Rosy Loaches

Plants

-Echinodorus (Pinwheel Sword)
-Ludwiga repens
-Anubias Nana
-Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia
-Pogostemon Helferi
-Hygrophila pinnatifida


July 26th Maintenance Video

Last edited by Morgan Freeman; 07-29-2015 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Updating
Morgan Freeman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Morgan Freeman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 61
Morgan Freeman is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
brooksie321's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,042
This would have been a nice project for you and Andy when you were at shawshank.
brooksie321 is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Morgan Freeman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie321 View Post
This would have been a nice project for you and Andy when you were at shawshank.

Last edited by Morgan Freeman; 01-27-2015 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Update
Morgan Freeman is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Dantrasy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 626
Very nice so far. Rock + dw is always an extra challenge, good luck.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dantrasy is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Morgan Freeman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
Very nice so far. Rock + dw is always an extra challenge, good luck.
Thanks, however I don't have to use both lol, it's whatever I feel like.

There will be a range of options!

I just listed both for now
Morgan Freeman is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Morgan Freeman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 61
Aquascape Pics Round 2

First nine aquascapes from just fiddling around in the "studio". I dislike some, if not most of them, however I take a snapshot regardless because later on in the process I may find some inspiration or see that a small change to a already-conceived scape could create gold.

Pick your fav, I know which one mine is. For some of these, such as the first one, you have to keep in mind that the plants will obstruct some of the scape and that their trimming will give me some flexibility to manipulate what the perceived scape is...

The last one is too symmetrical, bleh! However, even with that one, some tall plants and some color could easily draw the eye elsewhere. The "den" created in a couple of them is kinda cool, i could picture some short grass sprouts and some medium plants surrounding the opening to create a dark hole for some kind of fish to peek out of ominously. Whatev, I'll mull it over.
















Last edited by Morgan Freeman; 07-24-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Adding pics
Morgan Freeman is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Neatfish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 2,025
Number 5 but that piece of driftwood that's standing up don't look right plus the two big rocks need to been under the substrate a little maybe add some smaller rocks next to those rocks.

Bump: Do something maybe like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiWJ4aEk2ao


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Neatfish is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Morgan Freeman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
Number 5 but that piece of driftwood that's standing up don't look right plus the two big rocks need to been under the substrate a little maybe add some smaller rocks next to those rocks.

Bump: Do something maybe like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiWJ4aEk2ao
Lol, that's actually one rock on the left. It's a my nicest piece, a good oyaishi IMO. It's funny you say the piece standing up "don't look right" because I would personally say the piece on its side "don't look right", the driftwood piece is very multi-dimensional and that's kind of lost when you lay it on its side (especially if your going for a tree root look).

In general I would agree that it would be preferable to use more stones for a lot of these: Such as using five rather than simply one or three. It is just difficult given the amount of depth the 60-P has and my limited stone collection. Also, when you're using both driftwood and stones, it can start looking cluttered very quickly, as it does in a few of these photos from my perspective.

Thanks for the input! Food for thought!
Morgan Freeman is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Sub1117's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 314
5 or 7, maybe try sloping some substrate and place rocks underneath the dw, and have add some rocks to the left to counter the right side? Most of the pictures seem a bit too heavy on the right side.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sub1117 is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:20 AM
Planted Tanker
 
burr740's Avatar
 
PTrader: (123/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bama
Posts: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman View Post


My opinion you should flip the wood over so it makes "branches" pointing up. The way it is now looks upside down.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.





Last edited by burr740; 02-15-2015 at 12:34 AM. Reason: .
burr740 is offline  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Morgan Freeman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub1117 View Post
5 or 7, maybe try sloping some substrate and place rocks underneath the dw, and have add some rocks to the left to counter the right side? Most of the pictures seem a bit too heavy on the right side.
Ya I'm a sucker for the right side lol XD


Burr740: I will have some of those scapes in the future, with the dw pointing up. I kind of just avoided it today because my last scape was with the dw pointing up in the center (like a stump upside down) and I just wanted to branch (XD) away from that, at least initially.

Ty guys! :3

Link to the previous tank

Keep in mind this is my 2nd ADA tank lol...
Morgan Freeman is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Morgan Freeman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 61
I'm SOAKING WET boys ;D

Pics soon ;3
Morgan Freeman is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
dcutl002's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Smithfield, Va.
Posts: 685
I like #3 with all of the stones. Put a nice ground cover plant in there and it should look good.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dcutl002 is online now  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Sub1117's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman View Post
I'm SOAKING WET boys ;D

Pics soon ;3
Of you or the tank?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sub1117 is offline  
Reply

Tags
17 gallon, 60-p, 60p, morgan freeman, planted

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome