30 Gallon All-in-One High-Tech Planted
I'm sharing my journey here as well as documenting the progress of my 30 gallon all-in-one planted tank.
Back Story: I initially started out in the fish hobby with freshwater and failed miserably in several meeble attempts at planted tanks without CO2. DIY CO2 with yeast is not the business! I turned to saltwater coral tanks and am now back again to freshwater. I still have a saltwater reef tank, which I love, but my love for planted tanks never died.
I recently upgraded my reef tank to a larger tank and am turning my original reef tank into my current planted tank.
Current set up:
- 30 Gallon All-in-one acrylic tank
- Dimensions: 21.5 x 14 x 16" with 4" deep built-in sump area
- Finnex FugeRay Planted+ (arriving Wednesday), currently using Finnex Stingray, may use both, not sure
- Aquatek CO2 Regulator mini w/ 20oz Empire paintball tank
- ADA glass mini-diffuser
- Tunze 3152 Nano Auto-top off
- Finnex 150W Titanium heater
- Eheim Compact 1000 return pump rigged with quick-connect fittings
- Filter floss and filter sponge positioned right behind overflow
- Carbon in filter media bag positioned behind floss and sponge
- K1 kaldnes media (in main back sump chamber, working on getting it to fluidize)
- Branch wood
- Seiryu stones
- 20lb bag of Eco-complete as bottom layer
- 20lb bag of ADA Amazonia normal soil top layer
- Silver angelfish (x2)
- small school of tiny tetras
- Glossostigma as foreground
- Dwarf Sag and Blyxa Japonica as mid-ground
- Mini-nubias on base of branch wood
- Pogostemon stellatus 'Broad-Leaf' as background plants (open to suggestions!, ideally would like something similar)
I started up this tank Saturday night. The 3 pictures photoed are my tank being initially set up, re-planted, then trimmed.