55g First planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
55g First planted tank

So I am new both to the forums and planted tanks. I have been reading about them a lot and how to get one started. So in December I started it up on Christmas week.

Tomorrow I am looking to get some more fish, I have a small idea but not sure on which yet still.
The one thing I am need to know something more about is c02. I have been looking into a DIY setup since I'm not running t5ho lights. But I don't know if this will work with my current setup, any input on this would be great.

Specs:
3x t8 6500k home depot special light
306 fuval on one side and a hob on the other

Ferts:
EI method sort, still 3x a week just
No c02 yet, not sure

Plants:
Amazon swords of 2 types
Amazon type vals
Ludwigia reds, I am having problems with them growing. Well they have holes.
Repens staurogyne as my blanket. I cut some down last week and replanted they have took root already.
3x red tiger lotus from a bulb. 2 took off right away but the 3rd was stuck the wood, growing now.

Fish:
10x green neon's, getting 5 more
getting more on Monday, don't know which yet.

Any advice I will gladly take. I really want to make it work and look good etc.

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3 I think

Current took today after water change. 1/18/2015

Tiger lotus starting

Current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:12 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would say a 55 is too big for DIY co2 setups. You would be hard pressed to make enough co2 to make a fifference.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update:

Change plans and wanted to keep it semi? amazon theme.

Got 2 angelfish getting 2 more in a few weeks. Got 4 cats as well, they have already starting mating some....

Plan to get just a few more neon green tetras to top off the school. After this I wont be adding anything else in.

I checked the water before I put fish in and everything look really good, But my ph was around 8.0 so but the angels look fine so far.

Got better pictures of the angels. HA Ha! yea

Last edited by lt88; 01-20-2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: More pictures

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thumbs up new tank

Wow ! You got a really nice start. Tank looks really nice.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Small update:

I don't angels sexes that well, but I am pretty sure the big fellow is a male and the little one is a female. Also is she getting ready to lay eggs? Tried to get a close up picture.

Side note, my tiger lotus is acting as if was on steroids. It has grown at least 7 inches this week. Tomorrow I am sure it will break the water, I don't have any co2 yet and don't think I will add any.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Should use my canon to take some pictures but so much faster to take it and upload with the phone.

My two angel fish paired up. They where laying the eggs few hours ago so took a few pictures and a video. Not sure on how long they take to breed or pair up normally. But they haven't been in the tank less then a week and they where not in the same tank when I got them.

I don't now if I want to get 2 more angels or not now. They have eaten a few tetras I think so far.
Also figure out which is the male and female for sure now ha

My tiger lotus is at the water surface now, the 2nd on is getting there quick too. Should be up top by Monday.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
So pretty. Great tank. Awesome job.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 11:13 PM
Planted Member

I love that red tiger lotus. I may have to get one of those for my tank. Your Angels look really great too.

David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 11:18 PM
Algae Grower

Your tank looks great!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, Now that I am reading more I wish I put something with more branch type driftwood. But not to worry on it, next time.

Thinking on trimming the luduwigia red back a little to help the roots down below grown but I don't know if this will help. I have red that it should but I really don't know. Would root tabs or more ferts help? I really want them to come up more. The jungle vals are starting to show some life after 4 weeks.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 03:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Very nice looking tank. I love the angels.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
If you get 2 more angels the mated pair will defend the territory they staked out for breeding, limiting swim room for the others. I'd just have the 2 angels you do and that be it.
If you've not bred angels before a lot of breeders will leave a 'night light' on such as a lamp outside the tank or light in the next room to give a little light but not full day light 24/7. This is done to keep the parents from eating the eggs (sometimes they do this to prevent other fish from eating the eggs because they cannot see to defend them in the dark.. not too logical but they're fish).
edit: additionally, even if the current pair were not mated, they'd most likely harass new angels as they've been in the tank longer, remember they are cichlids, though more peaceful than some species they probably won't play nice with new angels, unless you remove both, completely rescape, then add other angels (who need to be same size, not smaller than the current 2) give them a bit in the tank then add the original 2 back. Best way to have a group of angels (with less aggression) in a tank is to get them all in one go and put everyone in all at the same time. But as soon as they start paring up and defending territory its not as pretty as when they just swim around.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~

Last edited by AquaAurora; 01-25-2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: added details
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info.

I think for now I am going to just leave the 2 angels with the 12 or so tetras and 4 cats. Feel like its pretty good on stocking. Want to run it for a while too.

Thinking of making a DIY spray bar off my fluval. I really don't like the white pieces and the pipe that came with the fluval I really don't like. Its ribbed on piping, feel like more junk can get stuck inside the pipe then I want.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update and some questions. Need ideas

So I am pretty positive that my angels are eating my green tetras. I had around 12 last week and yesterday I had 8 and now I have 6 so yea....One of them has some bite marks on his head to...
I thought they where working out but seems they are not. I would really like a schooling type fish in with them but I don't know what tetras I could use. I was looking at Ember but now I am not so sure.

Here are some new pictures of the tank. The tiger lotus had been shooting up to the top of the tank like crazy in the last little while.

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update of the sort

I am making a diy intake and a diy spray bar.

My angels have been eating my tetras a lot more then I'd hope. Right now I have 3 green and 5 black neon's, they ate 1 of the black ones that I thought where to big.
Also got 2 blue rams, thinking about getting 2 electric blue rams and calling it good. All depending on if my angels leave my tetras alone.
I took out the ludwigia red rubin I guess? It wasn't getting enough light I think not sure. But i like the over all look of the tank right now it looks pretty good. In a few I might get some more jungle val or something else to fill in the sides to make it more full.
My 3rd tiger lotus is starting to take off final, This last sunday I put in some root tabs to give it a little boost.

Side note I think I am having some hair algae come in. Its on my jungle vals some and my swords.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode