New 40g Breeder - not really started yet - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
New 40g Breeder - not really started yet

I'm getting a bunch of plants from a member, here is the list:
25+ Stems Myriophyllum Simulans "Myrio Filagree" (2"-10")
3 Stems Alternanthera Reineckii (3"-5")
7 Stems Bacopa Caroliana (3"-5")
5 Stems Rotala Macrandra (2"-4")
30+ Stems Ludwigia Repens (1"-12")
3 Stems Toninia Fluviatilis (3"-4")
20+ Stems Limnophila Sessiliflora "Asian Ambulia" (3"-9")
10+ Stems Rotala Rotundafolia (2"-4")
4 Stems Syngonanthus Belem (4"-6")
1 small Radician Sword Plant (2")
3 Cryptocoryne Wendtii "Brown" (2"-3")
10 Plants Staurogyne Repens (1"-2")
100 dwarf sag that are tall

Nice piece of spiderwood due as well

I'm afraid I've got too much!

Any ideas on anything will help. Plants arrive thursday. Light, filter - Tuesday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't think you have too much. I'd dedicate an hour or so to coming up with a definite layout scheme so you don't become overwhelmed with the amount of plants when they arrive.

You can always rescape if the mood suits you, but having a tentative scape laid out is a good start, especially since you have a complete list of what you're getting.

So my advice currently is to think about how you want the tank to look I.e. jungle, nature, dutch, etc. And see what you can come up with.

Look at approximate sizes of stems to think about where they might go in the foreground midground background. Color options, like having the A. reiniicki give a splash of color to a certain portion of your tank, etc.

Good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I printed out the specs for each one so I know the max heights. Drawing will help, I'll try it!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 01:29 AM
Algae Grower

Sketching out a plan helps, sticking to it is the hard part haha. I always start out with the sketch or the idea in my mind, and then it just tumbles into a greenish mess into the tank.

Planted 40B - 2 Angels, 3 Swordtails, 5 Julii Cories, 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Otos, 1 Clown Pleco, and some Ghost Shrimp.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I can imagine a big mess! I wish I hadn't put water in, I only have about 5-6" and not going to put more in yet. Is it easier with the water or without? I have tweezers coming but not til next week, I hate slow shipping! My plants are due this Thursday. I want to do everything in the right order and easiest.

Can I have cherry shrimp in a community tank? I am planning on some corys too
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:13 PM
Algae Grower

I've heard its easier to plant some species when there's no water in the tank, and then slowly adding the rest of the water. I imagine that if you were to keep the 6" of water in there it would be alright and shouldn't give you much trouble.

I've been transferring tanks and fish ever since I started planting, so I've never had the luxury of being able to slow start an aquarium setup, I always rush through it. So my tanks are usually being flooded and finishing up a cycle by the time I'm adding plants. Let me know how the shallow planting goes. I've looked into a few tweezers and other tools for my tank, something a little less invasive than an arm and hand rolling around. It would probably help me get the delicate stems and root plants in deep enough without disturbing so much substrate.

Corys are nice additions, I currently have some Juliis in my tank, I like them alot. They're always busy rolling around the tank, I haven't seen them much since the big overhaul, but I think they're hiding in the thicker sections of stems. Who knew a fish could still hide in a 3ft tank.

I'm not a shrimp guy yet, so I'll leave that up to someone more qualified in that department.

I'm also realizing that I don't think I put enough substrate in when I started the tank, because I'm having trouble keeping my rooted plants deep enough.

Planted 40B - 2 Angels, 3 Swordtails, 5 Julii Cories, 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Otos, 1 Clown Pleco, and some Ghost Shrimp.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Algae Grower

others on here may disagree with me, but with all those stems, you may want to stick to a very small Cory species like habrosus or even try an Aspidoras species. larger Corys, like Sterbai, might uproot the more delicate stems. if you're set on a larger Cory, wait until the plants have all rooted very well, but still be prepared to replant your stems from time to time.

i'm slowly learning that shrimp and plant tanks may not really mix very well. seems to me that shrimp are sensitive to CO2 and heavy doses of fertilizer associated with a plant tank. but if you're not really dosing and sticking with low tech, have at them. personally, I have them in a tank that I am getting ready to break down and move. I moved out the majority of the plants and stopped dosing, and now i'm finally seeing a lot of little shrimplets busying about. logic tells me ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Algae Grower

So did your plants come in? How did they look?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode