22 Gallon ADA style tank - Lost Lake -FINAL - New pics 7/27 (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
22 Gallon ADA style tank - Lost Lake -FINAL - New pics 7/27 (56k)

I just started this tank last weekend. This is my attempt to journal the setup and progress of the tank as it matures. I made my own tank and stand to reduce the cost while getting the ADA look and feel. The tank and stand DIY process can be found here. The journal of the second tank is here.

I just broke down a 80 gallon tank which will be replaced with 2 22 gallon tanks (including this one). So I already had the lights, CO2 equipment etc. required for the setup.

I also had a old tank which I had used to mature the filters artificially (added household ammonia and Fritz zyme bacteria and left it for 2 weeks to mature), so that I can jump start the setup process without harming any flora or fauna during cycling.

I named it "Lost Lake". Idea is to make a scape resembling a rocky lake shore that has dried up in the middle of a forest.

Here is a photo feature of the setup process.

First some power sand at the bottom

Covered up the rest of the base with Aqua Soil Amazonia - Type II. The front center has a dip to be filled up with sand. There is a small slope towards the side and a bigger slope towards the back.

The bigger rocks form the rear center of the scape

More smaller and medium rocks around main pieces to define the shoreline

Forest Sand Bronco mimicks the dry lake shore

Added a few bog woods and attached java moss to the bog wood and some of the smaller looks to give a "foresty" look with dead tree remnants and moss cover

Finally added the plants
Rotala indica and Ammania Gracillis on the background, red tiger lotus in mid ground and blyxa japonica and anubias barteri in the foreground.

The tank is filled up, CO2 and filter connections made. I'll have to add a background to hide the light bars etc.

Fishes will be added in a few days. I will try to publish pictures on a weekly basis to monitor the progress

Patience is the name of the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Last edited by malaybiswas; 07-25-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Looks like a very good start. Are you sure you want to add fish so soon? I might hold off a couple weeks until the ammonia levels die down from the aquasoil.

post #3 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
Looks like a very good start. Are you sure you want to add fish so soon? I might hold off a couple weeks until the ammonia levels die down from the aquasoil.

Thank you very much. I have already done fishless cycling so my filter is mature and ammonia and nitrite levels are at zero. Nitrate is about 20 ppm

|
|
|

post #4 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Awesome diy! I look forward to seeing this tank mature!

-Chris

post #5 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
Awesome diy! I look forward to seeing this tank mature!
Thank you clwatkins.

|
|
|
post #6 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

End of Week 1

More pictures at the end of week 1. Meanwhile I added my fishes from my old tank in it. Fishes introduced are
Discus - I had 3, 2 died. I have thought of giving away the 3rd one before but my wife did not agree. So he (?) stays
Danio, Mountain Minnow (my first fish), rummynose tetra, H. rasbora, Ottos, platy and one dwarf pleco.

I also added a white foam board background (which I notice in the picture to be a little tilted...gotto fix that). Until next week...

Some pictures of both my tanks together

I am not a great photographer. Any ideas about aquarium photography would be greatly appreciated.

|
|
|
post #7 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am having a problem with my co2 distribution. The setup has 2 tanks supplied from single cylinder. The adapter on the cylinder is connected to the solenoid valve which the connects to 2 lines with a T valve. Till now everything was fine. This morning I accidentally broke one of the diffusers while cleaning the tank and replaced it with a spare I had. Ever since, co2 is flowing to only one line under normal bps. If I increase the bps considerably it flows little bit to the other one too. Obviously some pressure issue. Any ideas on how to fix the flow?

|
|
|
post #8 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
wayyyy too tiny tank for any discus at all

but layout is nice
post #9 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman9809 View Post
wayyyy too tiny tank for any discus at all

but layout is nice
i know. But the discus is still juvenile (about 4" long) and still happy, so I'll let it stay till it out grows the tank

|
|
|
post #10 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Tried some of my (non-existent) camera skills

Inhabitants

Dusk in the forest. All the stem plants have started to spread and grow.

|
|
|
post #11 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
the dusk thing is pretty cool..... now I have to decide between that and moon lighting.
post #12 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsane View Post
the dusk thing is pretty cool..... now I have to decide between that and moon lighting.
Better if you get both. Both are beautiful in their own ways

i have
9 AM - 7 PM day
7 PM - 8 PM Dusk
8 PM - 6 AM Night (moon)
6 Am - 8 AM Dawn

It is pretty cool

|
|
|

Last edited by malaybiswas; 01-17-2009 at 03:54 PM.
post #13 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 05:19 AM
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
that tank on the right looks freaking cool. looks like a mini swiss mountain range complete with conifer trees. what plants are those that look like the trees?

oops nevermind....overlooked the journal link. found it
post #14 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I love both of your scapes! I'm a little concerned about that ASII leaching ammo, have you checked parameters lately? I had a mature filter also but I still had ammo at 4.5 ppm for a week!

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #15 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
I love both of your scapes! I'm a little concerned about that ASII leaching ammo, have you checked parameters lately? I had a mature filter also but I still had ammo at 4.5 ppm for a week!
Hmm...that's interesting. Never heard of that. Even the AFA guys never mentioned it. They did tell that nitrate will be high and indeed it is. Anyways, this is my experience. After I did fishless cycling of the filters and ammo went to 0 in about 7-8 days, I setup the scapes and introduced fishes on the 10th day.

For the first week ammo in both tanks increased a bit (fluctuated between 0.25 to 1ppm) so I cut back on the feeding and did more regular water changes. There was one nitrite spike and I lost some cardinas, but with water change that was normalized too and I could save my cardinals.

Currently I am checking the parameters every other day (ammo and nitrite show 0) and reduced water changes to once per week. I will continue to maintain my feeding rate @ once every alternate day, till I complete stocking (more cardinals) and filter matures to handle that capacity.

|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode