I just started this tank last weekend. This is my attempt to journal the setup and progress of the tank as it matures. I made my own tank and stand to reduce the cost while getting the ADA look and feel. The tank and stand DIY process can be found here
. The journal of the second tank is here
I just broke down a 80 gallon tank which will be replaced with 2 22 gallon tanks (including this one). So I already had the lights, CO2 equipment etc. required for the setup.
I also had a old tank which I had used to mature the filters artificially (added household ammonia and Fritz zyme bacteria and left it for 2 weeks to mature), so that I can jump start the setup process without harming any flora or fauna during cycling.
I named it "Lost Lake". Idea is to make a scape resembling a rocky lake shore that has dried up in the middle of a forest.
Here is a photo feature of the setup process.
First some power sand at the bottom
Covered up the rest of the base with Aqua Soil Amazonia - Type II. The front center has a dip to be filled up with sand. There is a small slope towards the side and a bigger slope towards the back.
The bigger rocks form the rear center of the scape
More smaller and medium rocks around main pieces to define the shoreline
Forest Sand Bronco mimicks the dry lake shore
Added a few bog woods and attached java moss to the bog wood and some of the smaller looks to give a "foresty" look with dead tree remnants and moss cover
Finally added the plants
Rotala indica and Ammania Gracillis on the background, red tiger lotus in mid ground and blyxa japonica and anubias barteri in the foreground.
The tank is filled up, CO2 and filter connections made. I'll have to add a background to hide the light bars etc.
Fishes will be added in a few days. I will try to publish pictures on a weekly basis to monitor the progress