55 with Dutch aspirations - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Smile 55 with Dutch aspirations

Lighting: finnex planted plus 48"

Substrate: play sand with osmocote root tabs under heavy root feeders.

Ferts: EI with dry ferts: Monopotassium phosphate, Potassium nitrate, Plantex CSM+B, GH booster after weekly 50% water changes.

CO2: pressurized.

Fauna: assorted pond snails, my fish eat them so there aren't many.
3 leopard ctenopomas
2 bristlenose plecos
1 african butterfly fish

Flora: ludwigia peruensis, back right
Cabomba caroliniana, right of ludwigia
Lloydiella, back middle
Hygrophila Difformis, next to lloydiella
Ludwigia Repens, next to hygro
Bacopa monneri, back left
Java fern, on driftwood
Dwarf Hairgrass, foreground
Alteranthera Reineckii mini, right foreground
Lobelia Cardinalis (small form), right midgroun
Echinodorus angustifolius 'vesuvius,' left midground

I am pleased with the right side of the tank. I'm not so happy with the left. It looks super messy and washed out. I wanted some compact hygro but aquariumplants.net was out of stock. Any suggestions for the left side?

Thanks,
Emma

Last edited by littlefish_; 08-07-2015 at 03:57 AM. Reason: setup info updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No huge changes, just trimmed the hair grass and trimmed and moved the moneywort and rotala. The rotala is laying on the substrate in front of the moneywort so it grows as side shoots (I'm too clumsy to plant those thin stems so close to each other, lol). As a result, the tops of the rotala are floating because I might sell/give them away.

All of my CO2 components are here, but I'm going to send my 7lb cylinder back in exchange for a 15lb one so it probably won't be running until mid February.

I'm planning to get my dry ferts and root tabs soon (I totally wish I had known about the soil thing before I filled my tank with play sand ��).

As for the unfinished right half: I will add Hygro Corymbosa Stricta in front of the totals once it grows in. Behind the rightmost edge of the hair grass, I'll plant Alteranthera Reinekii Mini to make a little red plant street and then plant Lobelia Cardinalis 'small form' to the right of the AR mini in this little area surrounded by the driftwood branches. I don't know what I want behind the AR mini yet.

I was also thinking about putting some Anubias behind the DHG, in front of the driftwood. Would that look good or not? I have one coffeefolia floating so I may use it, if not I'll sell/give it away.

Thanks,
Emma
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 12:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
very nice start

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lots of changes.

First of all, CO2 started today (yay).

This is the plan:

This is the tank now: (sorry for the bubbles, right after a w/c)

Clearly, lots of growing in is to be done. I'm trimming the lloydiella next week. The left side is so short because I accidentally ordered way too few stems of hygro difformis and l. Repens, so I cut them to propagate. Hopefully the glandulosas will recover the red colors that they had when I was fertilizing since I'm fertilizing again now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 11:02 PM
Algae Grower

How is the finnex 48" working. I have a 55 gallon with 3x t8 6500k bulbs that are working but not growing how I want it to work. Mine is about the same on plant load to.
I got 2 alutm angels that look nearly the same. They are a pair and breeding all the time. Your tank looks nice, jealous of the drift wood.

Ive been looking into the finnex and the satelite plus models for led lighting. Don't have the c02 yet either.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt88 View Post
How is the finnex 48" working. I have a 55 gallon with 3x t8 6500k bulbs that are working but not growing how I want it to work. Mine is about the same on plant load to.
I got 2 alutm angels that look nearly the same. They are a pair and breeding all the time. Your tank looks nice, jealous of the drift wood.

Ive been looking into the finnex and the satelite plus models for led lighting. Don't have the c02 yet either.
Thanks!

I like the planted + a lot, there was this one day where I got the ferts just right and I got like 1" growth from all the plants! Although, I'm not sure if it will be enough for the Alteranthera Reineckii mini. I'm pretty tempted to get a second for more PAR. Of course, that may not be needed. I'll see how it does with the CO2. If you want really high light from LEDs, buildmyled makes some great ones. They cost a lot, though. The ray2 from finnex is strong as well.

Driftwood is grapewood from blooms and branches. It was really cheap

I liked the angel, but I gave her away to a friend who keeps an angel tank. She would lay eggs every month and attack all of the other fish :/. She also ate an enormous amount of lobelia cardinalis, a whole tissue culture package!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 12:00 AM
Algae Grower

So your running just the 1 bar and no other leds? I really want to get a led set up but not pay 300$ for one. They seem really nice, and your tank looks like it doing good with 1 led.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt88 View Post
So your running just the 1 bar and no other leds? I really want to get a led set up but not pay 300$ for one. They seem really nice, and your tank looks like it doing good with 1 led.
Yep. I believe it cost about $170. Aquacave has some good prices.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Your tank looks very nice!

I like the LED too! I have a 55g with 2-T5HO retro kit from AH-Supply, and it has done very well! The money was GREAT too, as IIRC it was $60. I build my own stands and hoods, but I think the LED you are running will fit in my hood too. The T5s are good, but I LOVE the look of LEDs as well as the cost of operation and lack of bulb replacement!

Any way, what kind of fish are you planning on going with since you removed the angel?

Also what kind of Co2 system did you wind up with?

Keep up the great work!
Drew
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:50 AM
Algae Grower

Very nice tank!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

tank

Very , very nice.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update:

In short, it's an algaefest ��. I have no clue what to do, except for reduce the obscenely long photoperiod with light timers. I don't have my license yet, so that means I have to wait until my mom can take me to the store or order them online. I don't want to pay shipping, so it looks like I have to wait. The wood used to be so pretty, and now it's gross. I can't take it out and scrub it due to the Java ferns. Anybody know how to kill that algae? It seems to be fuzz algae (at least on the glass) and weird, compressed, bumpy bga on the wood :/. Oh, and fuzz and hair algae on all of the plants, too.
Disgustingness:

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Mitashade
Do a blackout (1-2 days no lights), or at least reduce photoperiod, and try turning off lights for 1-2 hours in the middle of the day.

Apart from that, scrub and remove what you can. Try and find some otocinclus, nerite snails and/or Amano shrimp. They'll love that stuff.

Good luck! Love the scape so far, otherwise.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:04 AM
Planted Member

try this instead of a black out

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=203684

It works wonders for me
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:33 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Mitashade
Yeah, good one. That'll do it too. You should still remove what you can by hand, though. Will make it more effective.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode