29 gallon Cryptoheros nanoluteus setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
29 gallon Cryptoheros nanoluteus setup

I kind of forgot to take pictures along the way or make a build thread when I started this.

Sooo....

It's been setup a couple of months
Specs;
Standard 29 gallon(petco 1$/gallon sale)
20 Tahitian moon sand
1 piece of mopani dw
1 piece fake dw(I was kind of in a hurry to get this started and couldn't find anything I liked at the time)
2x AC30 filters with zoomed sponge prefilters. One has had the carbon replaced with a bag of Purigen
2x Ehiem Jager 50W heaters
1 30" Finnex planted + light

Plants;(so far)
couple swords I got from Petco
1 small Crypt W(green gecko)from another tank
2x Dwarf Sag from another tank
1 Anubias nana rescued from another tank(Abramites eat just about anything green)

Fish
2x F gold sailfin Mollies( they've killed any male I've put with them within a week so I guess they like it as is)

Future
3x Cryptoheros Nanoluteus as soon as I can catch them out of the tank they're in
1 Flying fox

Inverts
MTS
1 Olive Nerite
a bunch of strange Ramshorn snails that move on their side, not even sure what they came in on as I don't have them in any other tank).

Bump: I think I need to get the windex and clean the outside of the glass for fingerprints

"Not my circus, not my monkeys"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 04:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I'm very interested in seeing the progression with this tank. I have a 29G currently set up and I'm considering a pair of Cryptoheros nanoluteus.

Were you able to catch them? I like the layout of the tank. When the plants start taking off it should fill in nicely. The Tahitian moon sand is also a fun substrate. There are a lot of optical properties in that substrate that really catch the eye!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikon Pimp Club #39
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, I haven't really tried to catch them in earnest yet. They are in a 40B heavily rocked hard water tank. I think I'm going to have to rig up a red light and catch them after lights out. They are smarter than most fish and seem to understand how I'm trying to trap them very quickly. Time to be smarter than your fish

Yeah I can't wait for the plants to fill in. I might have to get some substrate ferts for the swords to be happy. I've got a couple more dwarf Sag to move out of an old 10 gallon I'm breaking down. I'll also ordered some plants off of another member, mostly for a different tank, but I included a couple of Blyxa japonica for this tank. Going to place them on the left front of the mopani piece.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also thinking I might throw a BN in there. My 55 gallon semi aggressive community is a bit overcrowded the I have a BN pair(have since lost the male) that have at least one surviving progeny so if I can catch it this might be a better home.

The worst part is I'm pretty sure my nanoluteus are all males.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 08:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedhiker View Post
Also thinking I might throw a BN in there. My 55 gallon semi aggressive community is a bit overcrowded the I have a BN pair(have since lost the male) that have at least one surviving progeny so if I can catch it this might be a better home.

The worst part is I'm pretty sure my nanoluteus are all males.
What makes you say that? Did you get them locally? Perhaps you can trade with someone.

Best of luck with getting them out. Some fish are VERY smart. I've had to completely dismantle my 55G and lower the water to get an overly intelligent fish out.

Nikon Pimp Club #39
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not local unfortunately. I ended up getting them from Wetspottropicalfish the only place I could find them at the time. I got four 1" juvies and lost one(the one I most suspected of being female) the rest all look to me like they are showing more male type fin structure, that and the fact that they have never tried to pair up. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone else who has them and can trade something for a female. Time will tell.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Most recent addition. I netted this baby bn out of my 55 gallon semi aggressive community. Interesting markings(father was a calico and mother was an albino).

Seems to be settling in nicely.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Planted three Blyxa Japonica that I got from @Bartohog

I also managed to catch one of the Cryptoheros from the hard water tank(that was fun) but he's being shy so I can't get a pic of him yet. Hopefully he'll recover from the trauma of being chased down and start to roam the tank.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I managed to catch two of them at night using a red led flashlight(bright enough so the fish can even see a little by it, but it worked well enough for me to catch them). Still having trouble with my camera but here's a pic of one.

Tank is already looking kind of crowded to me. I may have to find another home for the mollies.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

They have some nice color. Can't wait to see then when you get the camera troubles worked out (or you bribe them to sit still out in the open for longer than two seconds). I know how that goes.

I'm picking up a group of 5 tonight. Looking forward to seeing them

Nikon Pimp Club #39
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's great. I think you'll like them a lot. I have one more to catch out the 40, although 3 in a 29 is pushing it. Like I mentioned I'm beginning to think I should remove the mollies and just leave the third one in the 40 for now. Maybe getting something like a fly fox that has some spunk to keep the cichlids from focusing on each other too much.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode