Changing my 125 Tanganykan to Brackish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Changing my 125 Tanganykan to Brackish

As some of you know we will be moving here soon and I have decided to do something I have wanted for a long time and just never had the motivation to do with my 125. I have already sold off most of my Tanganyikans.. :SIGH:

It is going to be converted into a brackish mangrove tank. I am planning on having it setup with a lot of rocks and mangrove plants only filling it up with water about 75% of the way.. I am thinking a lot of rock and of course the mangrove plants as well as a lot of Java fern which does well in lowlight and brackish water..

As for inhabitants, I am planning on Mudskippers, Archers, some type of goby, maybe Night Gobies) and either Scats or Mono's. I may consider a couple of either Green Spot or Figure 8 puffers. I know Mono's get frigging huge and when adults require marine water, so I will probably not go that way.

For substrate I am going to mix black and white sand.

My FX5 return line will be rigged in a corner and will cause the return water to cascade down a large rock pile as it is acting as my mechanical filtration. I will figure something out so that there will be no or minimal splashing. This will help keep the moss wet that I am hoping will do well in the low salinity I am planning 1.008. My eheim Pro II 2026 will be my biofilter/water polisher and the spraybar will be removed and the return positioned near the bottom go give a low current.

I am really excited about this.. Anything I am missing here?

When I start this setup I will post pictures of the setup and all. Start time looks like about 3 weeks.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:25 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You know, IDK that I've ever seen pics of your tanks... I'm gonna have to go dig up some threads!

What about incorporating some carbonate-based substrate for buffering?

Would a skimmer be useful on a brackish tank?

EDIT - OK I just went all the way back to 2006 and this is the only thread with pics I could find; what gives? https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...hink-tank.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I dont even have that tank anymore.

Skimmer wont work in water with a salinity of less than 1.018 I believe...

I was considering using crushed coral in my Eheim. I have done it before and it works very well..

My camera broke sometime ago and I am too cheap to get another. Plus, the only tank I have that is planted is my 29 RCS tank. My 180 is a Bogwood and jardini tank and my 125 was Tags. No plants..

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
It is going to be converted into a brackish mangrove tank. I am planning on having it setup with a lot of rocks and mangrove plants only filling it up with water about 75% of the way.. I am thinking a lot of rock and of course the mangrove plants as well as a lot of Java fern which does well in lowlight and brackish water..

As for inhabitants, I am planning on Mudskippers, Archers, some type of goby, maybe Night Gobies) and either Scats or Mono's. I may consider a couple of either Green Spot or Figure 8 puffers. I know Mono's get frigging huge and when adults require marine water, so I will probably not go that way.
Sounds like what I am trying to do.
I have a 110g that I am going to move my blue spotted mudskippers into.
I have mangroves that are going to be converted down to brackish.
I have been looking for some more plants that will work in this kind of tank. Any ideas?
I have had green Spot and Figure 8 puffers before (In one of my SW tanks... unfortunately they were faster than several other fish and a couple ate themselves to death.
Have you heard of anyone keeping Green Spot or Figure 8 puffers with mudskippers? I am a little worried about them picking on the mudskippers. (or if they are too small, getting picked on by the mudskippers) Same with several other types of fish and crabs.

Quote:
For substrate I am going to mix black and white sand.
My Skips have back sand now, kinda hard to see them in it though. It's pretty cool, but the back and white sand in my 120 SW tank is sweet. Totally the way to go.

Quote:
My FX5 return line will be rigged in a corner and will cause the return water to cascade down a large rock pile as it is acting as my mechanical filtration. I will figure something out so that there will be no or minimal splashing. This will help keep the moss wet that I am hoping will do well in the low salinity I am planning 1.008. My eheim Pro II 2026 will be my biofilter/water polisher and the spraybar will be removed and the return positioned near the bottom go give a low current.

I am really excited about this.. Anything I am missing here?

When I start this setup I will post pictures of the setup and all. Start time looks like about 3 weeks.
I'd love to see pics of how yours goes. I have been working on getting a stand for mine. Hopefully I'll get it up soon so I can start it cycling.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode