New Brackish Water Mangrove Tank (Planted)! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Brackish Water Mangrove Tank (Planted)!

Well, it's been over a year since I first talked about doing a mangrove tank here. The build itself took a couple months as I didnt have the time to work on it one day after the other.

Anyway, it's a 65 gallon tank with a foam/concrete background and some large manzanita branches inverted (and embedded in the background) to simulate mangrove roots.

I made several areas in the background where I could put some plants, both under and above the water level. Right now I have 2 large Crinum Onion bulbs, 3 Java Fern Windelov, 2 normal Java Fern, a large bunch of Anacharis, a big Banana Plant, 2 Marimo "Moss" balls and a bunch of Italian Valisineria. All of these are listed as Brackish Compatible/Adaptable plants accept the Vals, which were given to me anyway, so I figured I would try.

I am starting the tank at a low specific gravity, 0.008 for now. Since all my fish are going to be small at first, I am going to slowly increase the salinity as time goes by. This will work out for the plants as well.

I did a very slow drip on the plants to get them used to the salinity in the first place and now they are all in place. I dont have a photo yet of the plants since I just put some Bio-Spira in the tank and it's all cloudy from that now.

Anyway, here are a few build photos right up till before I put the plants in. I'll take a pic with plants as soon as the water clears.

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

Oh, as far as inhabitants go this tank will house some Archers, a Knight Goby, Wasp Fish (AKA Panther Goby), a "FW" Moray eel, and a couple of Crazy Fish (Butis butis).

Last edited by Goanna; 01-06-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
This should be very interesting! Keep us up to date.

Hoppy
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love mangrove tanks, they are way cool. Can't wait to see more

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hopefully if the water is clear in the morning I can take some more pics.

If any of you noticed the few white areas in thebackground, that's where the concrete didnt go on thick enough and it chipped away when I filled the tank. I may try to pin some Java Moss on those areas to cover it up and see how that looks. I imagine the moss will eventually root onto the concrete as well, which might look cool.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay, here are some pics with Plants and the first inhabitant, a medium size Archer fish.

The water cleared up considerably but still has a slight haze.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's one cool fish!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
That is very cool! I've been looking for good examples of mangrove tanks for a year because I wanted to set one up. Honestly this is one of the best I've seen- using the manzanita braches to simulate mangrove roots is a brilliant idea. Can't wait to see it filled out!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Me too, nice planted brackish tanks are definitely not the "norm" and I really look forward to seeing this one evolve!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:07 PM

I want one!

I found these browsing around eBay: [no ebay link] Search for "mangrove aquarium plant" if the link doesn't work.

Have anyone grown these? Are they small trees? Do they take years to grow?

I definitely would like to see more planted brackish tanks!

Could monos and archer fish be kept together?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSerk View Post
I want one!

I found these browsing around eBay: [no ebay link] Search for "mangrove aquarium plant" if the link doesn't work.

Have anyone grown these? Are they small trees? Do they take years to grow?

I definitely would like to see more planted brackish tanks!

Could monos and archer fish be kept together?
The mangrove plants are trees, and eventually will outgrow the tank. I have seen some people use Lucky Bamboo as an alternative but on a larger scale tank the manzanita wood looks pretty close to mangrove roots.

Archers and Mono's can do fine together in a large tank, but keep in mind Mono's eventually require full SW, the don't do well if they are only kept in brackish their whole life. Also, from what I have heard from other people, Mono's might munch on plants.

That said, I have a couple of small Mono argentus coming in and I am going to try them. If they become problematic I have another tank I can put them in, or I can bring them back to the store I work in and set them up in the regular brackish tank there.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
In the US it's illegal in most states to mess with mangroves. So be careful who you ask and where you go looking...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
In the US it's illegal in most states to mess with mangroves. So be careful who you ask and where you go looking...
This is very true. When you are talking collecting them yourself. However, I am not so sure when you are talking buying them commercially. I have never looked into it..

I too have been considering doing something similar with my 180 after my move..I like the way yours is turning out..

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
This is very true. When you are talking collecting them yourself. However, I am not so sure when you are talking buying them commercially. I have never looked into it..

I too have been considering doing something similar with my 180 after my move..I like the way yours is turning out..
I know my store gets them in the spring and summer, and the distributors don't ever seem to have any issues with them.

I think the main thing is messing with wild mangroves. The one's on ebay mention being legally propagated.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay, here's some new guys. Butis butis AKA crocodile fish or Crazy Fish.

They are pretty curious fish and they inspect everything, they are very alert. One of the pics show one of them getting close to the freshwater Moray. He quickly backed away, lol.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is one cool fish! I like the moray as well!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

Tags
brackish, mangrove, planted, plants, tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode