Well, it's been over a year since I first talked about doing a mangrove tank here. The build itself took a couple months as I didnt have the time to work on it one day after the other.
Anyway, it's a 65 gallon tank with a foam/concrete background and some large manzanita branches inverted (and embedded in the background) to simulate mangrove roots.
I made several areas in the background where I could put some plants, both under and above the water level. Right now I have 2 large Crinum Onion bulbs, 3 Java Fern Windelov, 2 normal Java Fern, a large bunch of Anacharis, a big Banana Plant, 2 Marimo "Moss" balls and a bunch of Italian Valisineria. All of these are listed as Brackish Compatible/Adaptable plants accept the Vals, which were given to me anyway, so I figured I would try.
I am starting the tank at a low specific gravity, 0.008 for now. Since all my fish are going to be small at first, I am going to slowly increase the salinity as time goes by. This will work out for the plants as well.
I did a very slow drip on the plants to get them used to the salinity in the first place and now they are all in place. I dont have a photo yet of the plants since I just put some Bio-Spira in the tank and it's all cloudy from that now.
Anyway, here are a few build photos right up till before I put the plants in. I'll take a pic with plants as soon as the water clears.
Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com
Oh, as far as inhabitants go this tank will house some Archers, a Knight Goby, Wasp Fish (AKA Panther Goby), a "FW" Moray eel, and a couple of Crazy Fish (Butis butis).