A newbies 5 gallon adventure - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A newbies 5 gallon adventure

Perhaps "adventure" might be too strong of a word but whatever

This was day one in cycling
A 5 gallon tank from a MARINA aquarium starter kit, which came with a MARINA 210 filer, which i replaced the sponge cover with a finer FLUVAL sponge, and water treatment bottle and a bio bottle thing
also with a bottle of fish food and a net

I bought the fake coral and the plastic pot from PETSMART, the gravel is normal gravel, like not active n stuff

The clay pots are from walmart, one of which i dropped while in class and then subsequently used because it looked cool
good first day

Bump: DAY 3
The mini xmas moss from shrimpfever came in on the 13th, which i struggled with for a while before creating the little bridge. Looks cute ehehe

I got the marimos On sunday and they've been chillin in the tank ever since, one has kind of a flat side so i turned it to that side so it gets light
A (sorta) nearby pet store by the name of BIG AL's said they got red bees and Sunkist!! those look cute, I wanna see them.

The mini xmas moss from shrimpfever came in on the 13th, which i struggled with for a while before creating the little bridge. Looks cute ehehe

I got the marimos On sunday and they've been chillin in the tank ever since, one has kind of a flat side so i turned it to that side so it gets light
A (sorta) nearby pet store by the name of BIG AL's said they got red bees and Sunkist!! those look cute, I wanna see them.

Bump: DAY 4

Got a Dwarf Anubias from the local pet store, it had some leaves with holes and brown bits so I sniped them off , one of the three remaining leafs kinda has browned edges slightly but ill see what a couple of days in the tank does for it

still wondering about some floating java moss, maybe that would be nice

DAY 7

Bump: THE SHREEMS HAVE ARRIVED
( it was a friends suggestion to call them shreems )

DAY 22
Got a heater for the tank and now they are zooming everywhere :0 such zippy little guys

I see this lady most often to im gonna name her Rodimus Prime
Heck yeah im naming my shrimp after Transformers, dang do i love transformers. Okay so i have Rodimus prime, i should make a list of names. . . . Hotshot, Red Alert, Inferno , Powerglide , er Warpath is a kind of darker red but naming a shrimp after a minicon thats so cute but if im going on that ticket I'm going to have to name some Seaspray and Beachcomber. And then I have to find a green shrimp to name Cosmos. Maybe Fixit. . .Ambulon, First aid, Pharma, Ratchet. hmmm im going to need A LOT more shrimp....But if i get a green shrimp to name cosmos then i HAVE to get a Yellow shrimp to name Sunstreaker, and then another red one to name Sideswipe. . >__>;;

First time shrimp owner

Last edited by Roddas; 01-20-2015 at 10:14 PM. Reason: adding stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Not too bad for a first tank, I would ditch the pot it looks out of place. Are you planning on adding any other plants. If you are using stock lights I would add some java fern, I prefer the needle leaf java fern that would look cool behind the moss bridge.

I used to keep an open mind but my brains kept falling out.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I wouldn't "float" java moss. It'll get all over the place. You'll be constantly pulling it off of the filter sponges etc. Personally I'll never use it again it gets everywhere lol.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire12 View Post
Not too bad for a first tank, I would ditch the pot it looks out of place. Are you planning on adding any other plants. If you are using stock lights I would add some java fern, I prefer the needle leaf java fern that would look cool behind the moss bridge.
I dropped the pot in class when i showed it to a friend explaining how I was going to use it and the only thing thats keeping it there is pride and a single string of fishing line because it cracked in three lol

Yeah I might just remove it later when everything's more grown in, Java fern sounds nice

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead2fall View Post
I wouldn't "float" java moss. It'll get all over the place. You'll be constantly pulling it off of the filter sponges etc. Personally I'll never use it again it gets everywhere lol.
I have a bit of natural hemp rope that i was thinking of braiding it into, having it float might make it grow a bit out of hand, thats true

First time shrimp owner

Last edited by Roddas; 01-19-2015 at 03:00 AM. Reason: weirdness
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The rope will probably get moldy nasty and farm algae. Not to burst your bubble but I wouldn't do that either.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead2fall View Post
The rope will probably get moldy nasty and farm algae. Not to burst your bubble but I wouldn't do that either.
Well i mean the purpose of it is to farm algae isnt it? its what they eat. The rope isnt that thick, its like twine but even then i was thinking of dividing it into three before braiding. What i want is for the moss to grow off the rope before it degrades and then u just have self braided moss : )

First time shrimp owner
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update!

I saw two baby shrimp the other day! Just two, which is kind of weird since 3 shrimp were suppose to be pregnant but im thinking that one may have dropped her eggs and the other is having some weird development rate of change for the eggs, but i got another 6 shrimp the other day and one of them has green eggs!

Two have molted so far, and one died from fail molting which was unfortunate
so the tank is currently at 10.5 RCS
0.5 because the babies count as a 0.25 for now lol theyre are really tiny
maybe I'll call them Frenzy and Rumble, that will be cute~~

Bump: I got a water fern with hair algae on it, which sucks, and like i was going away for a while but its been really sunny here the past few days so its making a resurgence :/

I noted that the Dwarf Anubis is growing a few new roots out but its also getting a white fuzz on some of the roots , which i think isnt good
I removed the hood of the tank b/c the light is just way too intense for the shrimp as i replaced the standard light with cfl which had a output of about 450 lumens (2700k)but the shrimp didnt like it and i dont have fertilizer yet for the higher light output for the plants so no hood for a while
im a bit paranoid theyre going to jump out to be completely honest but i read online they only rly do that if their predators , and their aint cause its a shrimp only tank.

That being said i really really want a beta, there aer beutiful betas at the pet store and a i feel bad theyre in those cups and not in a nice heated tank which i could totally provide

Then i remember the looming 6k i owe for my college and then i get sad

I had visited a friends new apartment in Toronto a weekend back and the first thing i thought was I COULD PUT TO MANY TANKS IN HERE
im in deep, its true

First time shrimp owner
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 06/02/2015

WELL

I am now down from 11 shrimp to 7
My parameters are perfect ( sorta) everything is at zero and im not sure if its years of making colour palates for drawings but i cant tell if my ammonia indicator is a yellow green or a green yellow, so its below 0.25 for sure though.

I keep over feeding the poor shrimp, sorry buds
Anyhow I got 5 trumpet snails now and 4 nerites, but i think i might give away some because that seems like a lot when I look at my tank to be honest, and there are some new mysterious cap snails i might go murder time on, i have a thing against snails, its a long story
heres a updated pic

The sponge in the filter outtake is toslow down the flow, it was buggin my baby shrimp a lot
I also poured some FLUVAL ZERO CARB medium in the filter cause the pads were falling apart and leaving fiber in the tank, i gutted one pad and saved the medium inside and placed it in a little cloth bag and its back into the filter now
Everything else seems to be okay for now

First time shrimp owner
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
A betta would love the hideyholes in your pots. But if you get one, maybe take out the fake coral. I had a piece in my tank when it was first set up, and the betta tore his fins on it.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Reduce your shrimp feeding to every 2nd or 3rd day. You don't have a lot of shrimps and they can forage on the moss and plants.

One month in.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
A betta would love the hideyholes in your pots. But if you get one, maybe take out the fake coral. I had a piece in my tank when it was first set up, and the betta tore his fins on it.
Ah thats a good point, but i did attach my anubias to it and its taken hold, maybe i should rethink the betta then oh no OTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenbarb View Post
Reduce your shrimp feeding to every 2nd or 3rd day. You don't have a lot of shrimps and they can forage on the moss and plants.
Ive changed my feed schedule now, thank you!

And now for the bad news . . .
2 more of my shrimp have died due to molting and ive just learned the weird growth that was on one of my ladies is indeed fungus, and im being told to remove it immediately
GDI im going from 11 to 4 , oh god im really [censored][censored][censored][censored]ty at this OTL

WELL im still going to try and save it, by god im going to try, going to get a gallon bowl and isolate and try to save them with Paraguard, pride and reckless abandon lead me forward, lets see how it goes.

... also getting some amazon frogbit in the mail and going to go buy more shrimp to replace the ones IVE KILLED.
PRIMUS HELP ME ,cause i swear mortilus is riding up my ass,geez.
sorry for the language im just, really upset

First time shrimp owner
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah

Well
Out of 21 Cherry shrimp I have 4 left

I'm just so, fraggin upset , i want to throw this stupid tank right out the window but its -41 Celsius here
even the Christmas moss seems to be dying
I came from work to find a dead shrimp, and then another dead shrimp and as i was attempting to get dead shrimp#2 out of the tank i noticed the baby shrimp twitching on the gravel cause sure as heck theyre dying too

I'm not getting any more shrimp until the spring comes, even if everything thing in this tank dies, its staying there until summer then im going to decide if im rage quitting or coming to terms with the fact the only things i havent killed are the water fern and the DAMNED SNAILS

primus, i hate snails

First time shrimp owner
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do you not have a heater?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
He does have a heater. Sorry your shrimps are dying. I would first focus on getting the tank running well first. Make sure the tank is cycled with beneficial bacteria. I would get a stronger light bulb, get some fast growing plants and let it run for a bit. If this is your first aquarium assuming by your post count and join date, read some guides.

Make sure the shrimps you are getting are healthy too. You said you noticed fungus? White fuzzy stuff by the head or green strand looking things by where the egg should be?

One month in.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

WELL
things seem to have stabilized for the time being, no more deaths though there is only 3 shrimp left and about 5ish babies?I got sea chem flourish the other week and my plants have been doing very well, the anubias nana is finally starting to sprout new leaves though the cutting i did hasn't grown , it might be cold :/ its been -20 consistently here

More snails everyday!

And a lot of . . Planaria, Copepods aaand Nematodes

-stares at camera like theyre on the OFFICE-

I'm going to salt bomb the tank, gonna take out the 3 shrimp that remain and do a hardcore 1 hour salty doom for these pests
im also getting another heater and a 2ish gallon bowl for plant growing and for fry raising cause i want to save my fry

ive been talking to a guy in the nearby town about getting endlers, and i dont want my babies to get eaten
theyre survivors!!! They survived the Great shrimp hunger games as my freakin brother called it.
ALSO

didnt update before but the shrimp with the fungus was culled, for the greater good of the tank. Upon further examination it was indeed a strange fungus and it was growing directly out from where the eggs incubate, it was also starting to grow out into the front legs. the fungus was hairlike and pronged at the end. The shrimp seemed healthy overall, but apparently this fungus DOES spread to other shrimp and will kill them, no signs of the fungus on remaining three

you know it occurs to me the remaining three were NOT from the same batched that lived with the infected shrimp, they were from a separate buy, and it got my thinking maybe that they all died cause they got infected, maybe the one with the yellow fungus was just a visible carrier. Most viruses can enter a organism and not express themselves in symptoms but live on to infect other organisms maybe that one shrimp was expressing it while infecting the others displayed no outward symptoms of it but dying from it
i remember reading about similar viruses that did that, i can't remember which ones did the same thing, but i know it does happen.

First time shrimp owner

Tags
first time, setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode