Starting with a 20 gallon long glass tank (24"L x 16"H x 12"W)
Rio Internal Filter 400
None (Previous one broke)
Big Boy Single Bulb Aluminum Lump Casing &
15 watt Extra Day Hi-Glow Bulb
2 T8 18 watt floursecent bulbs.
Ocean Free White Spot Special
Tetra Betta Min
Ocean Free Tubifex Worms
Tetra AquaSafe NH/CL Formula
PH & Nitrate Test Kit
2 Pieces of Driftwood
2 Small Sized Volcanic Rock
Amazon Sword Plant
(Vallisneria spiralis var. tortissima
Brown Wendtii Cryp
Bacopa (Water Hyssop)
Melon Sword Plant
Narrow Leaf Sword Plant (
?) (Echinodorus amazonicus
????? (Aponogeton boivinianus
3 Albino Corydoras
3 Bronze Corydoras
6 Neon Tetras
6 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Bolivian Ram
4 Siamese Algae Eaters
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Temperature: 20C to 26C (Slightly unstable)
I added 2 18 watt bulbs just after the new scape and it resulted in more growth of plants (and algae). I also just got a Yeast CO2 Reactor up but the yeast looks dead. It does sometimes release some really tiny bubbles in the end of the filter where it is connected.
For fertilizers, I'am dosing only with Sera Florena about 20 drops 3 times a week.
The Tank before being rescaped on January 13.
1 week later (January 23, 2009)
2 weeks later (January 30, 2009)
The tank today (February 05, 2009)
A little long summary of what is currently happening:
Brown Algae has grown a bit rampant so I had to resort through scraping since I could not find any Oto's. Also, when my plants finally started producing some bubbles after recovering from being moved around and being uprooted by my corydoras, disaster strikes! Yesterday, the electricity was out for 9 and 1/2 hours (8am to 5:30pm). Today, it was out for 6 hours (9am to 3pm). Kinda annoying. I don't even know what the electricians where trying to fix and I can't believe they didn't manage to fix everything in 9 hours and had to do it again today.
The brownouts resulted in some of the new larger crypts start to melt. More strands of hair algae grew in some of the leaves of all my plants except the cabomba and parrot's feather. Probably took advantage of the nutrients not being used up by my plants. Most plants stopped producing bubbles (even with the lights on for a couple of hours, I never saw a single bubble) though there are some really tiny ones on the Wisteria. All of the leaves of the crypts started to also face upwards.
My Nitrates rose to 10ppm though its not that deadly especially since my plants should be able to use up most of it again in a couple of days after recovering.
Not all is bad luck since I managed to get what appears to be 8 true siamese algae eaters today and each cost less than a dollar. There stripes are a bit ragged and it extends up to (or close) the tip of the tail. There fins are also clear. They're just a little skinny and only an inch long, about the same length of my Bronze Cory's making it a little hard to see and its already night. In the shop, they call them by there price, "35" (Pesos which is are currency in the Philippines).
They appear to change there colors real quick depending on there mood. 4 goes to my 20 and another 4 in my lightly planted 10. Hope the Bolivian Ram on both tanks won't try to eat them.
For the leaves floating in the top of my Aquarium, they are Wisteria Leaves that detached which are growing some daughter plants. Takes almost a month to just be able to grow big enough daughter plants that are plantable.
Oh yeah, if you have suggestions, please tell me. Also, the eggs did not survive. I'am a little overstocked though I hope to relieve it a bit when I get the 50 (possibly even the 75) gallon. For now, I just do 10-20% water changes once every Monday and Friday.
(Completely updated today and deleted all my other posts in ths thread: February 5, 2009).