40B Mismatch Jungle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
40B Mismatch Jungle

Well, this 40b has already seen quite a few changes, including one large move between states.

In its original configuration it held Dwarf Sag, Crpyts, and various stems, many of which didn't survive the move unfortunately. However, I've pieced together some plants from various big box stores and have produced something of a planted tank.

I'm not quite pleased with the overall effect that this tank produces, but I will eventually get to where I'd like. I am hampered by the lack of variety in the plants I find in the stores around here. Some of my old favorites, Alternanthera reineckii, for example are nowhere to be found. Shipping in plants, even from the generous vendors on this site, isn't much of an option at the moment do to the winter chill.

So, as of now I am content, as content as I am able to be, with the setup of the tank. I will endeavor to let it continue to grow unhindered except for the minor trimmings here and there to keep it somewhat under control so that I may have a better idea what the full effect of the tank maybe.

The details of the tank:

Marineland 40b

Lighting: Finnex FugeRay Planted+ w/ moonlight

Fertilizer Regimen: PPS Pro dosed daily along with Excel

Substrate: 50/50 mixture of Flourite and...some other iron rich mixture.

Fauna: 2 Angels (Small for now, most likely will separate at a later date), 3 Red Wag Swordtails, 6 Julii Cories, 10 Harlequin Rasboras, and 3 Oto Cats.

Inverts: Innumerable Pond Snails brought about from the depths of hell, and some Ghost Shrimp.

Flora: Crypt Wenditii, Amazon Sword, Ozelot Sword (Not doing well, new growth turning brown) Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia arcuata, Bacopa sp. (possibly caroliniana), and Java Moss.

I haven't yet made the leap into true CO2, but hopefully in the next few months I would possibly decide to do that, we shall see.

Pictures to come soon, this post is long enough as it is without pictures.

Planted 40B - 2 Angels, 3 Swordtails, 5 Julii Cories, 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Otos, 1 Clown Pleco, and some Ghost Shrimp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I haven't broken out the big camera in a few weeks, so unfortunately, the images you see don't give the true colors or clarity of the glass.

I'm still working out the true composition of the tank, I'd like to add a few more splashes of color throughout the tank. I'm still trying to get those deep greens I see in some of the tanks on this site, let alone the nice reds and such.

Not really sure how to edit the full tank shots and keep them within the guidelines of 1024 px wide and 768 px in height without cutting them, plus cutting down an image that originally starts as a 3.5 mb image down to a 256 kb image is a small feat, perhaps someone can shed some light onto this for me?

For now I believe that I have achieved this with an image of one of my angels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Angel.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	415474  

Planted 40B - 2 Angels, 3 Swordtails, 5 Julii Cories, 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Otos, 1 Clown Pleco, and some Ghost Shrimp.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaMossBlues View Post
I haven't broken out the big camera in a few weeks, so unfortunately, the images you see don't give the true colors or clarity of the glass.

I'm still working out the true composition of the tank, I'd like to add a few more splashes of color throughout the tank. I'm still trying to get those deep greens I see in some of the tanks on this site, let alone the nice reds and such.

Not really sure how to edit the full tank shots and keep them within the guidelines of 1024 px wide and 768 px in height without cutting them, plus cutting down an image that originally starts as a 3.5 mb image down to a 256 kb image is a small feat, perhaps someone can shed some light onto this for me?

For now I believe that I have achieved this with an image of one of my angels.
Upload your image to a image hosting site such as Photobucket first and then link from there. There is no image size restriction that way.

15 Gallon Dirty Cube.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, here's the first mock up of the tank.

Then, I added some more plants (Some possible Melon Swords in the rear, and some more Rotala up front, along with Ludwigia r.).

Some Bacopa sp. up front and in the rear to deal with some blank space in the right rear.

The final product so far

Bump: The Rotala sp. seems to be doing well, I didn't realize it would be such a light pink/yellow.

Bump: These Otos, at the risk of jinxing myself, are some of the hardiest I've had. Either I got a great trio from this batch or I'm finally providing enough microfilm for them inside the tank. They've been healthy.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Looks nice! I'm starting a 40b and hope it turns out!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, not much to update on except a possible sick Oto.

A little flow issue may have caused a lack of oxygen which could have stressed the little fella out. He seems to be in a stable but critical state at the moment.

I do have one question for anyone with more experience dosing PPS-Pro and Excel. I know per the instructions of PPS it is generally 1ml per 1p gallons of water if I believe.

When I had my 10 gallon setup it seemed as though the fertilizer made quite a difference in growth and color in the tank.

My levels are steady with an average Nitrate reading somewhere in the 20s. Shoukd I be dosing a tad more? I don't want to shock the fish but I feel I can get more growth out of these plants without resorting to pressurized CO2.

How much do you dose your tanks??
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
Looks nice! I'm starting a 40b and hope it turns out!
Thanks, I'm still working on this aquascaping deal. Every time I start out with a plan it just kind of disintegrates into whatever I can find, which never turns into what I had originally intended. The lack of locally available plants is usually what throws me off.

No Patience! Haha.

I enjoy the footprint of the 40b, I always enjoy more depth in planted tanks. One day I'll upgrade to something that will be nice and wide and deep with just a tad more height.

I hope to yours turns out well.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, in keeping with the journal theme I should try to post updates, if only for myself to remember and have some kind of time line.

Lost one Oto (1/19) to an infection, possibly Columnaris, monitoring the rest of the tank.

On advice about the Melon Sword, removed all of the green emersed growth, and am hoping this helps the young red growth's abilities now.

Will be adding some Osmocote tabs as soon as they've frozen, I may end up looking for some pill pockets, it seems that would be neater in the long run.

Looking forward to getting to the GCCA Swap this Sunday to possibly pick up some more plants and see some vendors!

FTS (1/16)

Current Flora:

Stems:
Rotala rotundifolia (mislabeled as R. indica I believe)
Bacopa caroliniana or monnieri
Ludwigia repens
Ludwigia repens x L. arcuata (I'll try to find a picture of this too help me confirm)

Crypts:
C. wendtii (Bronze)
C. wendtii (Green)

Mosses:
Java Moss

Swords:

Amazon Sword (Not much growth, would like to replace eventually)
Melon Sword (Good red growth, not much height yet)

Last edited by JavaMossBlues; 01-22-2015 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added more information
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 03:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice tank. I'm planning for a 40B myself.

I have a question...do you feel one Finnex Fugeray is enough light ? You tank looks pretty bright, but I know these fixtures are slim and am wondering if I should get two right of the bat.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have the Planted+ which is giving me a pretty good light output with out getting too much blowback from algae. I am dosing with liquid carbon and PPS-Pro which helps negate this somewhat.

My Rotala rotundifolia has lightened up and turned a slight pink at the tips, along with both my Ludwigia spp.

I've just added some Rotala walliichii which imo is my first high light necessary plant so we shall see how it does.

I don't think you need two with most spp. But I've considered buying a second one if I were to add pressurized CO2.

The light spread is pretty good with the 40b footprint but could be better, it's slightly hindered by the shallowness of the tank. It will highlight the whole tank.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So the Melon Swords were trimmed heavy early yesterday, and having removed all of the green growth they look pretty miserable. However I'm expecting this plant to do great things and really grow and fill up the back section of my tank.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Big changes happened last night. After purchasing some R. walliichii and Blyxa aubertii, something had to change.

I see some great aquascapes on here that fill up the tank footprint, have a solid hardscape, and fill out with some awesome colors and just look phenomenal.

I however cannot get past the point of buying plants. Simpler is better but I definitely enjoy trying to push the envelope and fit as many plants in as I can. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find that happy medium of trimming, filling, and looking good yet.

I pulled 90 percent of the plants out last night, much to the chagrin of my fauna, especially one lone female ghost shrimp. I rearranged some hardscape, added some rocks, and replanted. I finished sometime around 3 this morning.

I feel like I'm getting there with my idea, but I'm struggling realizing the vision in my mind into the tank.

I trimmed the R. rotundifolia heavy last night gaining about 30 4" pieces that had nowhere to go.

I finally got into my Crypts last night and split them, I think I ended up with around 40 little plantlets. Most made there way back into the tank for now, I think I'll be pulling them eventually maybe even throwing them up to the community if there's an interest.

I took some photos as I went to document some of the progress but I'll just throw up the final for now.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I'm having some flow issues with the new tank, I'm going to have to redo the plumbing side of things.

I'm stuck with the location of my filter, so in order for it to work the inlet and outlet pipes must remain on the same side of things, but it'll work just as well as it did before.

I had some R. walliichii floating around my tank this evening, I think the swordtails were nibbling enough that it came up, I'll replant it and hopefully they can leave it alone long enough to root in a week or so.

Bump: So, the massive reconstruction of pretty much everything in the tank last night:

Here is the emptyish tank, the crypts were moved after this photo, the only thing that wasn't completely uprooted was the L. repens x arcuata cross.

I placed sticks across the tank to help visualize the 1/3rds rule, it helped somewhat but I'm still not finding those focal points like I would like.

The massive pile of C. wendtii after I finally separated it all out:

Started to fill things back in, I moved the R. rotundifolia over to the left side, hoping to create a bush like effect after a few trimmings, it looks pretty rough. The growth of the plants itself is nice and full, but I started to rush with the planting because it was so late and bunched the stems to tightly together.

Before the water change but after most of the plants went back in, I was still pushing a few things around here and there trying to decide whether I could save more crypts.

Done for the night, filter's on, and then I decided to come back with fresh eyes the next morning.

Last edited by JavaMossBlues; 01-22-2015 at 06:24 AM. Reason: I do what I want
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, after some helpful advice over in the aquascaping thread, I've decided that this be here be no jungle at all. It's a Dutch Wannabe.

So, welcome to the JavaMossBlues' "Dutch Wannabe".

I'm still not overjoyed with the lack of depth that I'm getting in the tank, but I'm sure over time and trimmings I'll be better able to realize what I've been trying to do.

I'll be attempting to make the R. rotundifolia into a bushy curved section on the left side of the tank, it will be "contained" by the rock on the left which will act as a border for an open section of substrate. Currently this substrate is occupied by several Crypts that are waiting to be placed in a possible ten gallon planted tank for my nephew.

The wooden arch on the right should be my focal point, and the left arch slowly covered in moss. I've kept the hollow long in place, as it is the dwelling of my Clown Pleco and I do not wish to disturb him. Even though he is eating himself out of house and home.

I'd like to surround the arch's foreground with the crypt field, not sure how densely you can pack them in there, but eventually I'd like to "carpet" with crypts, or perhaps go with a more classic carpet of Dwarf Sag or some other runner type.

I've kept the B. aubertii up front and would like to see that do well and grow large, sending off long leaves from the center of the tank.

The background consists of a medium sized Amazon hiding behind the R. rotundifolia, hopefully growing out and providing a little depth with its leaf size.

Next to the sword comes a mixture of L. repens and L. arcuata x repens, I'm a big fan of the hybrid Ludwigia, its pointed leaves and good color offer a little more visual appeal in my opinion.

Continuing to the right there is currently an open gap, where my two newly trimmed Melon Swords are growing, with a little kick from some DIY root tabs, I'm hoping they will get the jump start they need to really take off.

After the melon swords there is a clump of Bacopa caroliniana taking up most of the rearmost right corner, I'll have to check the height specs on this species, but I thought I read that it may only get 12-14" high, which won't quite clear the wooden arch. So this may have to be switched with something a little more suited to height while maintaining a strong green presence, any suggestions?

My favorite portion of the tank is the right side of the wooden arch. Here I placed a shallow horseshoed piece of Mopani that has had an Anubias nana tied to it for the past several years, I think it ties together well, as a cascade of A. nana leaves flow down the right side of the log.

I'll break out the good camera tomorrow hopefully and take some more detailed pictures of some of the tank. I have some freshly trimmed R. rotundifolia floating around the tank while I decide what to do with it, taking away from the overall atmosphere currently, but that too is only temporary.

Thanks for taking a look and reading through this long text.

Last edited by JavaMossBlues; 01-22-2015 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Forgot to upload Image
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's only been four days since the big changeover, so obviously not much should have changed by now, but I feel that the tank itself is looking better.

The blend of Ludwigia spp. is looking nice, a fairly even transition between the two seems to have helped it along nicely.

The L. repens is on the left, transitioning into the L. arcuata x repens on the right.

The R. waliichii, has started to come along nicely, after a day or two of rooting problems, I've gotten it to stay in place so hopefully that will start to anchor in nicely. The leaves themselves seem to have opened up more, and have retained some color. I'll see if they can keep the color in the lighting and conditions without CO2.

The R. rotundifolia seems to have responded well to the trim, I do see a few large leaved old stems that probably should be pulled eventually, but I'll let it recover for a week or so before hacking away again.

Don't mind the swordtail, they seem to enjoy the camera.

The Blyxa aubertii is looking a little rough, no previous experience with a Blyxa spp., so I'm not sure what kind of melting growth I should be seeing. I know that it is actually a stem plant, so possibly planted to deep?? Anyone have experience with this?

My arch moss is spreading again, Java Moss doesn't wait for anyone does it? The Bacopa carolianiana is making a pleasant enough backdrop for that for now.

The crypts seem to have found out that they do not do as well with Excel. I only read about this phenomenon a week ago, and since then it seems to have started to have chewed up leaves, etc., even before the big move. Hopefully it can recover.

FTS (1/25)

The floaters are distracting, but I'm trying to keep some available for another tank. I took advantage of a Chain Store's Dollar per Gallon, and purchased a 20L that I'd like to set up as a hold over tank for selling trimmings, and possibly shrimp once its become mature.

Bump: I got my Otos (at least one) to munch on some Cucumber! This I'm excited about, because I've been worried about the amount of natural food in the tank for them. Also I've heard there is some difficulty with getting them to eat food. Hopefully this will give them a start and they'll enjoy some other vegetables to get them on a nice fat diet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode