My 90G Planted and Scaped - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
My 90G Planted and Scaped

Okay, to be honest it's not planted.....and it's not scaped. BUT I will be doing both of these once I finish building the stand that I got with it. Until then I will start with the beginning of my story.

So, it all started one day a long long time ago. I found that I like caring for fish and I saw how pretty some setups can be. In high school my parents bought me a 30 gal with stand and a HOB filter. Now I didn't know a pleco from a cory or nitrates from anything, and so as you can assume it didn't go well. I bought neons that didn't last 3 days and gouramis that would last a couple months, but I never really got the hang of it. So I kind of let the tank go and it became overridden with GSA and other horrible things.

Now fast forward a couple years and now I'm in college and found a couple websites that taught me the basics of a planted tank and how to care for it. Armed with my new found knowledge I decided to take a swipe at having and maintaining a planted aquarium. It went well. So well in fact that I started looking at larger tanks in order to have more fish and a prettier aquascape. I bought Filters (XP3, Eheim 2026),A tank (90G) with stand, and substrate (ADA Aquasoil, Eco Complete). All of these items were from craigslist and bought for cents on the dollar literally.

Now this brings me to today. I'm working on finishing the stand (it was only a frame) and once I do that I can begin to scape the tank and add fish. I just recently bought some UG from a person on another website and will put that in once I get it.

So here are some photos.

Some wood I have to work with

The stand

The tank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here are some more pics, been working on the stand for the last two days. I have to say for my first project ever involved with carpentry I'm happy with my work. But there some areas that I'm not proud to show off. Enough talk, here's some pictures.

I know, I got tons of comments about my stunning choice of pink for the stand. I scared even more people by saying I thought it was a great color for it. :P
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looking good!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Updates:

Almost finished with the stand, just need one more coat of pain and then it's done. But in primering my stand I've noticed that the white and the orange looks really good. Has anyone ever had a white trim tank with a white stand before?

Also for the tank, the reason I left the middle kind of half finished is because I want to put a layer of white latex on that area to kind of give it a different look. If I don't like it I can just use a razor blade and cut it off.

I'm not going to use the wood in the first post. Rather I'll be using this to create a kind of underwater bush look and have it oriented to the left of the tank.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really nice bushy wood. It looks like dead branches you just found somewhere laying around.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite07 View Post
Really nice bushy wood. It looks like dead branches you just found somewhere laying around.

Haha, actually I was snorkeling at the local reservoir and found this huge dead bush attached to something at the bottom and broke off a couple pieces to take back to my tank.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Updates:

Got the tank and the stand in last night and started scaping today. What do you think? I plan on having Fissidens hanging from the branches and UG growing around it as a carpet.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
What is in those brown bags?

I really like that piece of wood too.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Algae Grower

I like it. You might consider burying the whole thing a little more, but otherwise I think it'll look great.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:39 PM

Real nice. It looks like a desert without the water. Lol!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesjason View Post
What is in those brown bags?

I really like that piece of wood too.
Aquasoil, it was like having bags of gold for me.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Good start.
IMO I would go ahead and get some black krylon fusion spraypaint and spray the Rena inlets/outlets while the tank is in its dry stages. The blue they picked for those parts still baffles me...lol

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx© View Post
Good start.
IMO I would go ahead and get some black krylon fusion spraypaint and spray the Rena inlets/outlets while the tank is in its dry stages. The blue they picked for those parts still baffles me...lol
I don't know if you answered in my other thread but wouldn't that leach into the water??
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
krylon fusion once thourghly dry won't leach. the salt guys use it.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm, I'll have to try it then. I'll try and pick up a can tomorrow in between classes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode