Greetings tpt member!
Since I have recently got back into the freshwater side of the hobby again and I have been sifting through the forums I have decided that I will make a tank journal on here to keep track of my cubes progress.
About a year ago, I tore down my 30 gallon reef tank and used the glass to create a AIO 15 gallon cubic reef tank. Then two weeks ago I decided to try freshwater again and so moved the inhabitants to the 55.
In the past I have done planted tanks but I had always used inert substrates and only water column dosed. My last tank as I transitioned over to reefing was an experiment of mine. It had a 2 inch layer of soil and blasted CO2, there was more plants that water. It was inhabited by a single paradise fish so CO2 levels were no concern of mine
So two weeks ago I stopped by a LFS and grabbed some glolight tetras, 3 peppered corydoras and a killiefish. I also picked up some Ludwigia, Egeria Densa and some Java Fern. Plus a bottle of Tetra Safe Start as I didn't realise I didn't even have a tank setup...
Two days later and the cube is broken down and back up again with freshwater in. Don't worry, the fish was held in a 5 gallon Rubbermaid container.
Its at this point in time where I realised the LFS had only bagged 5 glolights and not the 6 I paid for...
For lighting, I decided to stick with the LED GU10 bulbs I had success with in my reef tank. I bought two more and got rid of 10w of blue led. So in total I have 4 5w 6500K LEDs over the tank, it seems bright to me, but without a PAR Meter what can I be sure of.
I am using DIY CO2 on this tank at 1 bps with 100% dissolution.
Growth seemed fast and I was happy with the state of the tank. Parameters were rock solid from the bat and the quick start did its job, this surprised me because I had always cursed those "snake oil" products.