Drews Ebi 8g Re-do 2015 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Drews Ebi 8g Re-do 2015

So I got this Fluval Ebi 8g setup about 3 years ago now, its been sitting for more than 2 years with nothing in it. I bought it a while back to put some really nice shrimp from AquaLiam when he was up and running but just didnt have enough exp to get good results and thus the tank got emptied and sat for 2 years. Fast forward to 2 months ago when I was selling a bunch of stuff off I had in storage and grabbed my 20g and this 8g to sell to someone for their hermit crabs, she ended up taking the 20g and I had this 8g sitting around the house once again. So I went to pick up a 40g breeder for our bearded dragon and had to move a 29g to get the 40, and fell in love with the 29g as all I have right now is a 20g long crs tank. So long story getting to long, right now the 8g shoukd be close to cycled and the shrimp are slowly making their way from the 20g long into the 8g ebi. Everyone that has come into my house in the last month has commented on the 8g because it just glows in my living room. So I figured I would make a journal for this tank so I can get some real comments on the tank, not just "wow you should be like one of those people who set up fish tanks professionally"

Equipment:
Tank- Fluval Ebi 8g (only holds about 6g's with background and sub)
Light- Marineland 11" LED (may upgrade to a 12" Planted Plus LED, but will see how the 11" does with only like 5 watts light, and I dont drop it in the tank again as it just sits on the top glass)
Filter- Eheim 2213 filled with Substrat Pro, Fluval Ceramic noodles, 500ml of Matrix, and will add Purigen after all shrimp have transferred
Substrate- 3L ADA Amazonia, 1L ADA Africana from est. tank, 250ml Matrix between the subs to help seed the new Amazonia and a little for aesthetics
Heater- No heater as my apartment is in the basement and stays at 70-74 all the time
H2O- RO water remined. with Salty Shrimp GH+ to 150ppms

Plants:
Anubias Nana- for the backround, attached by toothpicks stuck in the back for a couple days, works perfect!
Java Fern- because every tank should have Java Ferns
Crypto Wendii Red- because its a shrimp tank
Xmas/Willow Moss- that will only be grown on the cholla and drift wood

Livestock:
10-25 Crystal Red Shrimp- been slowly adding one or 2 a day for the last week, hoping the babies transfer ok
3 Painted Red Shrimp- These guys have been stunted due to being in the soft water, they are almost a year old and look like they are only a month so will be going into the 29g which will have tap water
1 Glass AquaLiam Red Shrimp- can you find him?
1 Nerite Snail

Let me know what you think, and anything regarding the amount of water changing I should be doing would be nice. As I really only topped the 20g off with RO water and never really did w/c until a couple months ago. Should I be doing 50% w/c in a tank so small?

1st pic is setup week with tapwater
2nd pic is today, with RO water, looks so much clearer, you can even see my cat in his bed on the window sill soaking up some morning rays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0599.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	413770  

Name:	GOPR0603.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	413778  

Name:	GOPR0605.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	413786  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
I don't know what it is about the Fluval Ebi but they always look great. Can't wait to see how yours looks once the plants fill in. I have an ebi with an Eheim 2213 aswell, I went with the 12 " Finnex planted plus and I have to trim every two weeks!

I've had this aquarium heavily planted for 6 months now and I use treated tap water and have only been doing 25% weekly water changes and a 50% change at the last week in the month. I have 50+ Ultra Red Cherries, Amano shrimp and Strawberry Rasboras/Small Guppies. I know your shrimp require better water parameters than mine do. So hopefully someone else that keeps your shrimp can have better advise than me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Nice, I actually checked out your journal a couple of weeks ago and was thinking of doing a small fish like your rasboras once it fills in a bit. You think they can take a tank with no KH in it?
Thats pretty much what I was thinking for w/c also..

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 04:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
Apparently Rasboras need 3-10 KH to live comfortably. I don't know anything about boosting KH or gh, I just luckily got the levels I needed without doing anything but normal maintenance.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode