Chaz's 180g Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Chaz's 180g Tank

Hi, I fired it was time to toss a journal together for this setup. I've had fish tanks for the last decade, both fresh and salt water. With 5 fish tanks around the house I decided to consolidate my gosh tanks down to 1 freshwater and 1 saltwater tank. For the freshwater I would go larger than I ever have before. For the saltwater I would return to my nano tank roots, but that's for another forum.

The hunt was on for a 150g+ tank for my living room. I finally found a great candidate, which turns out was being sold by a former coworker that I didn't know was into fish. I ended up with the whole setup for $550. It needed a little kilz paint on the inside canopy, had some issues from prior moisture and proper lighting for a planted tank, but was in great shape otherwise. Right now the tank is sitting waiting for me to get into the crawlspace to reinforce the floor some for added security before getting wet.

The tank when I found it.

The tank in my living room. The other tanks have been sold and the room is nowhere near as crowded as it appears in this picture.

6x39w t5ho lighting after the third time wiring lol. I still want to install some moon lighting and need new vent fans.

And we have a hardscape!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
sweet, following...what fish are you planning, please say planted discus

-Jacklyn
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
sweet, following...what fish are you planning, please say planted discus
Fish list hasn't been fully determined yet. I'm thinking a decent school of rasboras. My friend who owns a coral business used to breed discus and really wants me to stock some into this tank. He has contacts in the wholesale business and says we can get them at pretty good prices and said he'd pay for half whatever they cost. I think he's going we can get some breeding going again. That being said, I do think there will be a school of discus in the tank as well.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

yay discus! make sure to get adults for a planted tank. good luck to you sir!

-Jacklyn
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
yay discus! make sure to get adults for a planted tank. good luck to you sir!
Though I would definitely steer towards adults, curiosity has me wondering why to avoid juveniles in a planted tank? Do the juveniles just hide to much?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

no the amount of nitrate in the water in planted tanks is too high for juvies and stunts them

-Jacklyn
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
no the amount of nitrate in the water in planted tanks is too high for juvies and stunts them
Ahh makes sense, I hadn't heard that before.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

lots of other stuff goes into it im sure you could find plenty of info with a quick internet search...discuspaul on this site has some stunning planted discus tanks.

-Jacklyn
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What are you doing on your Saturday? I'm squeezing into the smallest crawlspace entrance and shortest crawlspace possible. Oh and I'm posting this from down there on a break.

Where I left off last night. Had to bring a trowel and knife to lower the block a hair to let me get that block all the way on.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Wouldn't want to be you today. Are you SURE you got those blocks in the right spot?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYWS3 View Post
Wouldn't want to be you today. Are you SURE you got those blocks in the right spot?

My sore shoulder says we're good lol. I remember that crawlspace entrance being a lot bigger last year, it was quite a squeeze today.

But we should be good to fill up the tank now. I just have to get off the couch and hook up the python to the faucet.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazde3 View Post
I remember that crawlspace entrance being a lot bigger last year, it was quite a squeeze today.
Might be some consequences from Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner left over huh? The tank looks great, I am jealous. I wish I had room for a 180g. Subscribing, I feel like this tank is going to look great. Welcome to TPT by the way! Saw your low post number.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessAquarist View Post
Might be some consequences from Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner left over huh? The tank looks great, I am jealous. I wish I had room for a 180g. Subscribing, I feel like this tank is going to look great. Welcome to TPT by the way! Saw your low post number.
Thanks, been here for a few years and is it for reference but don't post a ton. I'm more active in the reef keeping websites. This is my 34g reef tank.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is gorgeous. I want to do a reef really bad, but from everything I hear they are really expensive, and take years to mature. Unfortunately I'm in a spot where I may be moving soon so I can't make any long-term ties like that... Luckily I have people like you whose tanks I can stare at

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Moved over the plants, the few small fish and the co2 system from my 29g along with adding a few new plants to the 180g. Also dosing acid buffer to drop the pH. Everything is looking great so far.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode