Demos' 5g moss and DP tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
Demos' 5g moss and DP tank

This tank was started this April as a Betta only tank, but then it got a heater and a few tetras and plants, and eventually crayfish. Yesterday I bought a bunch of new driftwood, some nice sand substrate, and anubias and crypts.

Flora:
Anubias Barteri
Anubias 'nana'
Cryptocoryne x Willisii (sp?)
Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'brown'

Fauna:
RCS and one CRS.

Here are some pictures:
September 7th:

September 13th:

October 14:

And today!

Wilson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14

Last edited by demosthenes; 05-18-2009 at 03:33 AM. Reason: name change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
That giraffe is the most random aquarium ornament I've ever seen.

But really, looks good. Only suggestion would be to tie that anubias down with black string instead of white rubber band.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Haha I lol'ed when I saw the giraffe

Poor lonely CRS How'd you end up with only 1? Did a bunch die, or did you only buy 1.?

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
wow what a huge change since the first pic. its looking really nice. i used tiny black hair rubber bands to attach my anubias to tmy drift wood.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 03:03 AM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
Awe man, why'd you get rid of the giraffe? It gave the tank so much personality!

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hahaha thanks everyone! well, the tank is in my little sisters room, and shes kind of strange.

I know the rubber band are pretty unsightly, but the black thread that i had was frustrating me beyond belief, so i just quit and threw on some rubber bands. They'll only be there for a few weeks anyway, then i can just cut them off.

Do you like having some sand visible in the front? My sister thinks it looks good, and i agree to a certain extent, but idk, it looks like maybe its missing something, and i cant figure out what.....
...maybe its the giraffe!

oh and also, my LFS hasn't ordered new CRS in at least 6 months, so when i spotted one in one of their show tanks, it was the only one that i couldve bought. Probly a stupid question, but will it breed with RCS?

Wilson

, last updated 1/14
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
actually, i think they can but the offspring are muddy colors. i dont know for sure but im sure someone would know in the shrimp section of the forum
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
No, CRS won't breed with RCS. They're completely different genuses.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
Do you like having some sand visible in the front? My sister thinks it looks good, and i agree to a certain extent, but idk, it looks like maybe its missing something, and i cant figure out what.....
...maybe its the giraffe!

I don't mind the sand. You could always try a foreground plant if you wanted, but I'd keep it low -- no hairgrass.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what kind of foreground plants could i grow in here? its only like 13W or something. i think i could get some anubias nana, but that much would get really expensive.

Wilson

, last updated 1/14
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 06:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Anubias nana is too big to be a foreground in this tank. Anubias nana petite would be small enough, but it grows waaaay to slowly to carpet.

You could do a moss carpet by tying moss to a piece of slate or something.

You could also ATTEMPT marsilea minuta... I believe that of the low foreground options, its the most accepting of low light conditions.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

By popular demand, the giraffe is back... lol
i've also made a few other changes, but i haven't been able to find any marsilea thats actually aquatic.

Now, i have some RCS in here, and they've been in here for... maybe a month and a half now. There are currently 4 females and 1 male. Why aren't any of the females berried yet? They appear to be pretty healthy, I think i've been taking relatively good care of them so far, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Wilson

, last updated 1/14
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
That giraffe fits int he picture!!! haha
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quick update: the heater broke, so my little cherries are freezing, but they'll be okay for now. The Crystal Red hasn't been seen (dead or alive) since the day after I got him, which is just plain confusing. The plants are growing slowly but surely.

Except now, the tank has been set up exactly the way it is now, for four weeks, and just now I have noticed a colony of about 15 hydra living on the front pane of glass. How did they appear so suddenly? Should I be concerned about them? Are they harmful, or just ugly?

Wilson

, last updated 1/14
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now there are a bunch of snails and hydra... really not that many hydra anymore, just a TON of pond snails. If i throw my little clown loach from my 46g in there, will it eat the shrimp, or just the snails? What about hydra?

Wilson

, last updated 1/14

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode