40 Gallon Breeder (Advice needed) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
40 Gallon Breeder (Advice needed)

Hello everyone, I am relatively new to planted tanks. I have a 5 gallon low tech and a 2.5 gallon low tech. They have been doing well for a good while so i decided its time to go big. I bought a 40 gallon from petco (dollar per gallon sale) And began building my own custom tank stand.

Now for what im seeking in terms of advice.
I Currently plan to keep cardinal tetras, corycats, shrimp and im id like to add 1 more species in there but i havent decided on what yet, possibly rainbow fish.
In terms of plants i would like the ability to grow any and all plants that i may end up choosing in the future.
My budget is $500
Here are the categories i would like recommendations on.

Filter:
Co2 Setup:
Heater:
Lighting:
Any other accessories i may need:

Any and all help is extremely appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Algae Grower

Nice stand!
Here is a bit of info from want I learned on my 40 breeder.
On my 40 Breeder I have 2 ehiem ecco pros rated for 60 gal each. I don't think I need both but I like to have a lot of fish. I would probably switch to a single larger.
I'm happy with my CO2 reg. It was the cheapest I could find for a 5lb CO2 tank. The bubble counter it comes with is pretty crappy though. I pay more attention to my drop checker.
I have a Finnex planted plus and a Current USA Satellite Plus. I don't think either of them alone could run the tank. I would probably just do 1 Finnex to start and see how it goes from there. You can always get a second down the road.
You will need some added flow that you won't be used to in smaller tanks. I like my hydor Koralia
As for heaters I have no real preference. I'll probably get an inline one down the road.

Filter: Eheim Ecco Pro 80gal $123 on amazon (I think I saw the National Geographic version for a little less in store at Petsmart basically just rebranded)
http://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-External-Canister-Filter-80-Gallon/dp/B0009YWODS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420391914&sr=8-1&keywords=eheim+ecco+pro
CO2: Aquatek $90 on
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-AQUATEK-Regulator-Integrated-Solenoid/dp/B009WTXYN0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420392085&sr=8-2&keywords=aquatek
Heater: $50ish depending on wattage for a hydor. Multipal options on amazon

Lighting: Finnex Planted Plus $110
http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRay-Planted-Aquarium-Moonlights/dp/B00GH9HSC6
Accessories: Hydor Koralia 425gph $23
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia-Nano-Aquarium-Circulation/dp/B0036S70ZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420392415&sr=8-1&keywords=hydor+koralia
Total: $396 with wiggle room if you go smaller on the canister filter or don't go with an inline heater.
You still would need to find a CO2 tank but that's easy enough (welding supply stores swap them like propane tanks) and should be less than $100

Other little things like drop checkers and testing supplies add up but you can survive without them for at least a little while.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
A Current Satellite + Pro, according to currents par chart, could do high light in a 40b, kinda pricy though. If you do go that route get the 4012 model for a 40b. I just installed the 4011 on my 40b and IMHO it's to short on the ends to adequately light the back corners.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks so much to all the info, does anyone else have any experience with the recommendations given so far?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
A Current Satellite + Pro, according to currents par chart, could do high light in a 40b, kinda pricy though. If you do go that route get the 4012 model for a 40b. I just installed the 4011 on my 40b and IMHO it's to short on the ends to adequately light the back corners.
with a 4012 model satellite plus pro Do you think it would light the entire tank well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_in_the_box View Post
Lighting: Finnex Planted Plus $110
Amazon.com : Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 30-Inch : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 30-Inch : Pet Supplies
Will a single planted+ light the whole tank?

Last edited by Cobyr; 01-09-2015 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Wanted to know if they planted+ would light the entire tank as well
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I will say that my 2217 never gave me adequate flow in my 40b. Right now I have the 2217 and two Korala nanos and think I have just enough flow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Look into fluval. I run the 306 and it works. I also have a wave maker to push around water. The fluval is on sale at petsmart right now. The Koralia is the way to go. That's the one I have. As for lights you will want 2 if you go with the finnex. I run 1 planted plus and a ray 2 on my 40b. My brother runs 2 planted plus on his 40b. You need to if you want to be in the mid to high light range and to get the light coverage. Hope this helps.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually just purchased the 306 today. I contacted current USA and they assured me that the satellite plus pro would cover the entire tank and that a single light would grow high light plants. I'm not sure what light im going to end up purchasing yet but i really like the customization of the satellite. Once Ive made my purchases I will continue to update this thread with pics and my experience with the products I end up purchasing. I'm thinking about going with one of the green leaf regulators, and im having alot of trouble deciding on a diffusion method. If anyone has any thoughts on that i would love to hear. Thanks again for all the advice

Last edited by Cobyr; 01-09-2015 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Fixing my crappy sentences.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobyr View Post
with a 4012 model satellite plus pro Do you think it would light the entire tank well?

Yes if you go with the 4012, if your doing low tec you'll want to use the dimmer to lower the intensity of the lighting or you will most likely run into algae issues.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If anyone is interested Heres what i ended up going with
Filter:Fluval 306
Co2 Setup:Gla Regulator, Fluval ceramic disk diffuser
Heater:Eheim jagar
Lighting:Current USA Plus pro.
Any other accessories i may need:Hydor water pump, Gla Drop checker.

Here is how the tank turned out

Last edited by Cobyr; 02-22-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: pictures
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Mitashade
Beautiful. Especially once the plants fill in around the front, this'll look incredible.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very Nice!
Really dig the "terracing"(word?) multi level(front back)...
Nice!

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Planted Member

Very cool scape. Well done.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 01:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I really like where you are going with your hardscape. I look forward to seeing how that develops. Curious to see how the back right holds up over time (as in erosion).
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 06:21 AM
Algae Grower

I've been demolishing my brain with analysis paralysis the last few days, trying to decide on a light for my 40b. This thread has made my decision, thank you for the beautiful pictures. Are you still quite happy with the light? It seems to be more than adequate from the photos =)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode