Neoman's 55 Starting Fresh 3/10/09

Flora
- A LOT of Ludwigia
- 1x Ozelot Sword
- 2x Anubias Barteri
- 1x Anubias Barteri Nana
- 1x Cryptocorne wendtii

Fauna:
- 3x Microgeophagus ramirezi (German Blue Ram)
- 2x Trichogaster leeri (Pearl Gourami)
- 8x Puntius titteya (Cherry Barb)
- 5x Hyphessobrycon colimbianus (Columbian Tetra)
- 3x Paracheirodon axelrodi) Cardinal Tetra
- 1x Corydoras paleatus (Peppered Cory)
- 1x Hyphessobrycon callistus (serpae Tetra)
- 1x Some other random red tetra.

Specs-
- 70 watts of lighting, roughly 1.3 wpg
- 1 Penguin Biowheel 350
- 1 Penguin Biowheel 150
- 1 150 Watt Heater
And Now for the pictures. Bear with me, im still getting used to the settings on this camera.

FTS Without Flash

FTS With Flash

Rams

Ludwigia

Cory

Last edited by Neoman; 03-10-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Kinda hard to tell but are those all males?

Fluval Osaka

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Those two are both males. Theres a third, smaller male, but i don't have any pictures of him.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoman View Post
Those two are both males. Theres a third, smaller male, but i don't have any pictures of him.
I wouldn't recommend keeping all those males together with no females. Since it's a larger tank it may not be a constant war but you will run into problems.

I'd throw 3 females in there with them.

Fluval Osaka

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had thought about that, but then wouldn't they pair up and fight each other anyways? They haven't really been bothering each other at all.

On another note, one of the cardinals died today. I got 5 of them about a week ago, and since then every one or two days another will turn up dead. Theres one thats been eating a lot, all the time, but the ones that have died have refused to eat at all. I know its just a matter of time until the last one that hasn't been eating dies... whats going on?

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I had thought about that, but then wouldn't they pair up and fight each other anyways? They haven't really been bothering each other at all.

On another note, one of the cardinals died today. I got 5 of them about a week ago, and since then every one or two days another will turn up dead. Theres one thats been eating a lot, all the time, but the ones that have died have refused to eat at all. I know its just a matter of time until the last one that hasn't been eating dies... whats going on?
The pairs will compete for turf but there should be enough space and hiding places in your tank for them to live together. There will eventually be much more aggression with no females.

I'm assuming you didn't quaratine them.. A fish that isn't eating is sick. Chances are they had something when you got them. Did you see any spots or anything on them?

Fluval Osaka

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

nope, and its definately not ich. I actually saw one die the other day, and the signs seemed similar to those Neon Tetra Disease. He lost his color in splotches, and all of the sudden just started swimming erratically and died.

So apparently, cardinals can get NTD too? But then why wouldn't this one be effected?

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
nope, and its definately not ich. I actually saw one die the other day, and the signs seemed similar to those Neon Tetra Disease. He lost his color in splotches, and all of the sudden just started swimming erratically and died.

So apparently, cardinals can get NTD too? But then why wouldn't this one be effected?

I have heard that NTD can be spread to other fish although it is rare... The only experience I have with it is when I tried to add about 10 neons a few months back. I ended up bring back all of them after 4 croaked in 2 days.

Fluval Osaka

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
i accidentally got two male rams at first. they were not bluffing. lol holy crap! some will get along though...

just a suggestion, loose the back drop. it really takes away from what you've put together. an all black or blue one would look much better.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not planning on keeping the background, and the other side is black. I just put it that way to see what it would look like, and haven't gotten around to taking it off yet. Ill switch it eventually.

Anyway...

What could I use as a foreground for this tank? I really want a carpet of some type of plant, but im worried it wont grow because my lighting is too low.

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
intestinal parasitic nematodes, maybe? i had fish display such symptoms when i had parasitic nematodes and an opportunistic bacterial infection.

try a moss carpet. they do great in low light, and always look amazing.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Any particular type of moss?

Also, I think I'm going to move the columbians, serpae, and what I now know is a white tip tetra, to another tank. I really only used them to cycle, now they just take up space, and I really just don't like the way they look.

I;m looking to replace them with a school of something. So far im contemplating

- A group of rasboras
- Rummy Nose tetras (are these hardier than cardinals?)
- Neon or Cardinal Tetras (I really like the cardinal tetras, but again, I don't want to be wasting my money if theyre just gonna die again)
- Any other suggestions?

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 04:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
i really like the rummy nose in my tank. i think their hardiness might be dependent on weather or not they were captive bread. i am having reasonable success w/mine. i might wait until your tank is pretty stable though...
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
cool tank!
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

If I were to get a 130 watt light, would I need Co2 to keep up with it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode