80 Gallon (300 litre) Tropical Setup. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
80 Gallon (300 litre) Tropical Setup.

Intro:

So far I have owned two tanks. The first was a 3 gallon betta cube, and the second a planted 15 gallon I bought when I decided the 3 gallon wasn't quite enough space for me or the betta. I have replanted the 15 gal. twice, and raised various plants, with almost entire sucess so far (currently growing Anubias, like watching paint dry). As christmas approached, I got adventurous.

I have purchased a 300 litre (80 gallon) 4 foot setup. Stunning setup, now running water through it to make sure it all works .

The Plan:

Right. Tommorow I plan on adding a good layer of white sand to the tank, and then (once it settles a bit) adding rockwork, plants and fish. I'm currently thinking Discus and Algae Eaters (have had bad experiences with hair algae ). The AE will be added first, and the Discus later, once the tank matures. That being said my younger brothers (Twelve and Nine) seem intent to interfer. If they say goldfish, I'm gonna have to shoot myself.

I like to be ahead of the game, so have photoshopped-up some quick sketches of what I am thinking. I know its hard to see, but are there any initial thoughts?

(Brown represents rocks, green represents plants)

I'de really like this tank done well, so any input would be appreciated (ideally some constructive criticism would be appreciated)

Last edited by Slashrim; 12-23-2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Typo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Perhaps we should wait til you do a dry lay of all the rocks in the tank. The square artistic renderings of the rocks does nothing but say, "don't use square rocks".

Edit: Where are my manners. Welcome to the Plantedtank.net!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Careful with the algae eaters you choose. I am no expert, but I have heard the ottos will "attack" discus. Basically, they attach to the discus to eat their slime coat eventually killing the discus.

Besides that, sounds cool. I look for ward to some pics once the tank comes along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Perhaps we should wait til you do a dry lay of all the rocks in the tank. The square artistic renderings of the rocks does nothing but say, "don't use square rocks".

Edit: Where are my manners. Welcome to the Plantedtank.net!!
Thanks for the welcome.
Yeah, the renderings are all about proportions. I want to get a rock of these heights, and space them this far apart. Would you prefer round rocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinjected1 View Post
Careful with the algae eaters you choose. I am no expert, but I have heard the ottos will "attack" discus. Basically, they attach to the discus to eat their slime coat eventually killing the discus.

Besides that, sounds cool. I look for ward to some pics once the tank comes along.
Right. I'll stick to SAE & Cories then. Thanks for the headsup.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
you can always get amano shrimp for algae control, but idk how they function at discus temps
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
you can always get amano shrimp for algae control, but idk how they function at discus temps
Where would I be able to get my hands on some?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
By the way, Cories don't eat algae, so just wanted to point that out. Although they are great fish to keep!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
i've never heard of an Ottocinclus attacking anything, let alone a discus.... I'd be curious to read this if you have the link...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I've heard of ottos trying to "suck " themselves onto discus and accidentally getting caught in their gills..
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I've heard occasional rare reports of Otos doing this. I asked some breeders about it, and they said it's most likely that the Otos were starving- the tank they were in was too algae-free. They suggested growing some algae logs for the Otos to see if they'd then leave the discus (or other large fish) alone. They said that due to the discus' large, flat sides and the small size of the Otos it probably started off as a case of "mistaken identity" and then the Otos found that the discus slime is nutritious (since that's what discus feed their own fry) and stuck with it.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Algae Grower

do reaserch discus take time and lots of water changes oh did i mention time
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashrim View Post
If they say goldfish, I'm gonna have to shoot myself.
I feel your pain, man. So. Much. Pain. )8

And I think you're on the right tracks with the round rocks, Now if you could get them just a little bit pointier...

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode