40b african biotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
40b african biotope

Current shot(s):

I've got some congo's, some kribensis, and a syndontis already in my 125g. And since I want to completely redo that tank, they need to be re-homed. So what better a place to house them, permanently, than an african biotope... or something as close as I can get.

Right now I've got two pieces of driftwood in place, about 100lbs of sand to pour in, and plants to buy.

Plants I'm planning on:

Bolbitis
Anubias
Dwarf Hairgrass

Keep is simple, keep it low light/tech.

The idea is to place the bolbitis in the back left, and left, wrapping around the wood a little.

Hairgrass will be planted all around the wood itself, hoping to keep the foreground and far right bare of plants.

Anubias, will end up all over the submerged wood.

I think some rocks would work really well for this layout; but I haven't found much locally that I really like. I'll keep an eye out and will fit them in when I've a chance.

Here is the tentative wood layout.

I'll probably be tossing the sand in this evening and getting the filter hooked up. Bolbitis will be purchased this week and go in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scapegoat; 01-05-2015 at 12:56 AM. Reason: f
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Not an exciting update. Just a shot of the aquarium in its final place. Sand goes in today, and hopefully I can get to Lowe's today to pick up components to make my own python.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of having a water hook up right here, and I don't think my wife would appreciate me cutting a hole in the wall to the bathroom right on the other side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Sounds nice, but I think the Congo tetras are going to miss the swimming room they had in the 125! I like African biotope's, so I'll be watching your progress on this one.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

They definitely will. But I think they'll be just fine in here. There are currently nine of them, 4 kribensis, plus three juveniles that are half inch + and a syndontis. Too few for the 125; but I think just right for the 40b.

Sand, rocks, and light. The newer goal is to fill in the back and leftish area with african fern and stuff the rocks with anubias.

time to fish out my sun sun filter and see if the tubing and everything reach/fit well. tomorrow i'll hit up lowe's for any tubing I may need and get it filled up.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
That looks great so far!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
That looks great so far!
Thank you.

I've filled the tank and placed what little anubias nana I still have into the tank. I need a ton more to get the desired look. However, I'll be picking up african fern tomorrow evening. Once those are in I can move over some of the red tiger lotus bulbs I have in my main tank.

Then I'll get to selling off a bunch of crypts and blyxa to pay for a bunch more anubias

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I really like how that looking. I just picked up a shelf like that and 2 40b as well. What type of light are you using?

Thanks
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
I really like how that looking. I just picked up a shelf like that and 2 40b as well. What type of light are you using?

Thanks
Thank you. Lighting is a buildnyled.com fixture. It's dimmed most of the way, but the color temp is still brighter/whiter than I'd like.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Edit: Made a response on the wrong thread :P

Last edited by DepletedEntity; 03-19-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: FAILED
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Any updates on the African biotope??? Lookin good so far!!

Drew
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
Any updates on the African biotope??? Lookin good so far!!

Drew
sure. The congo tetra tore through my anubias nana petite. Just placed an order with a member here for a large amount of african fern.

Once the fern is in I'll find another source for a bunch of anubias nana petite and dwarf hairgrass to continue planting.

I want to pick up a couple of bushfish and butterfly fish to complete the fauna list once the tank is fully planted.

so, not much of an update. I've been self employed for the last year, so I often feel guilty spending money on this tank; but I just won a large contract. This tank will get wrapped up over the next month or two, and my 20g long will get the dirt treatment with a few asian plants and fish.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
No madagascar lace?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashraf View Post
No madagascar lace?
never been a huge fan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode