5 Gallon Tetra Crescent Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5 Gallon Tetra Crescent Planted Tank

Hello!
This is my first attempt to create a planted aquarium, and actually this is a second aquarium in my life. 20 years ago, when I was a boy, we had a fishbowl with some guppies, some vals growing in the sand and some elodea floating on top. It was self-contained, without any filtering, circulation or artificial light (lower than "low-tech", sort of "bottom-tech" ), but guppies were rather happy there, and were actually breeding quite intensively.
For the last several years I was thinking about having an aquarium, and now the time has come. Here's my Tetra Crescent 5gal, 1 week old, low-tech, kinda sorta planted

Plant have only started to grow in, you can see cotton threads I've used to tie Java moss to the piece of driftwood. I've decided not to disturb plants at least for a month, I'm going only to replant the anubias. Currently it has rhisome lying on the gravel, while its roots are pinned to the gravel with some clips, made from pipe-cleaners (basically an iron wire with a cotton shell). I'm going to trim its roots, trim one leaf and tie the rhisome to a stone.
Flora:
Java ferns
Java moss
Bolbitis
Anubias
Water Wisteria
Marimo Moss Balls
Fauna:
4 Gold White Clouds (John, Paul, George and Ringo)
About 6 MTS

Equipment:
Tetra Crescent 5g stock lighting (15 LEDs), 12h/12h cycle managed by Zilla 11573 mechanical timer
Azoo Mignon 60 HOB filter
Hydor 25W heater, set to 74 F
Though I don't seem to overfeed my fishes (I give them a small pinch of flakes in the morning and in the evening), there is still a lot of leftover food on the bottom, as you may see in the picture. This is partially caused by the stream of water from filter making flakes sink fast. I'll try switching off the filter before feeding and switching it on in 5 minutes. Also I plan introducing some bottom feeders, probably RCSs.
My API test kit has arrived only today, I'm going to measure water quality daily and keep the track of records here, I think it might be interesting to watch the water quality changes. I kick-started the tank a week ago with API Stress Zyme, adding fish 3 days after start (yes, I know, I'm doing bad things, I shouldn't have done this; alas, I'm too impatient). Now the readings are: ammonia - ~0.1 ppm (probably less), nitrite - 6 ppm, nitrate - 25 ppm. I'm going to perform 25% water change tomorrow.
Yes, I know, it looks awful so far and it seems that I've made all sorts of mistakes (surprisingly, fishes are doing well). But I'm learning and hopefully this aquarium will become a beautiful piece of nature once.

Last edited by Brenagwynn; 01-03-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: updated title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Performed ~20% water change in the morning. Readings in the evening are as follows: ammonia - almost undetectable, nitrite - 6 ppm (!), nitrate - 35 ppm (!!!). Am I doing something wrong? The track of records can be found here
I'll probably skip today's evening feeding and test the tap water for nitrites and nitrates.

You just keep on trying till you run out of cake
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My tap water data: pH - 7.6, nitrites - 0, nitrates - ~7 ppm
Perhaps I'll have to carefully siphon the food remains from the bottom. It's especially hard for me, as currently the aquarium sits on the floor (I rent a room, and it won't move to any higher place until I rent an apartment, which will happen in spring). I didn't want to disturb the gravel until the tank has fully settled, but it looks like I'll have to do that.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Algae Grower

Hi there! I like your hardscape in this tank.. cant wait to see how it looks when the moss has properly started growing!

As for your ppm's ... it sounds like you're overfeeding. If you're not already, try using pellet food instead (like hikari micropellets) because they dont cloud the water and dissolve. I too have issues with the filter pushing food down... hang in there

The leftover food on the bottom should be gravel vac'd out. Vaccing will get rid of the food and help you get rid of some of the nitrates because of the water change. Shrimp will help with eating left over food but be warned that eating too much protein (fish food) then they can have all sorts of problems with their shells... and then die when trying to molt.

Also, if you haven't cycled your tank before putting the fish in then just be careful. No need to panick, just test the water as much as you're willing to. Keep the ammonia and nitrite levels low using small but frequent water changes. the filter will naturally build up the bacteria over time - you just have to be more alert to your ppm's

Another option is to get some bacteria gel balls from your LFS. They dissolve and stick to everything in the tank and basically boost start you're bacteria filter.

Keep us updated! I want to see how this tank develops!

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for an advice, I didn't know that shimp could have problems when eating too much protein. And yes, I'm going to try pellets instead of flakes.
As for bacteria - I use API Stress Zyme, I think it's pretty much the same as bacteria gel balls, only liquid. Btw, ammonia level is low, doesn't this mean that there are enough nitrifying bacteria?

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenagwynn View Post
Thanks for an advice, I didn't know that shimp could have problems when eating too much protein. And yes, I'm going to try pellets instead of flakes.
As for bacteria - I use API Stress Zyme, I think it's pretty much the same as bacteria gel balls, only liquid. Btw, ammonia level is low, doesn't this mean that there are enough nitrifying bacteria?
Yeh I lost about 30 out of 35 shrimp because they were eating too much protein. I've got 5 left and they now eat algae/veg and they're happy. hopefully they can repopulate!

Looking at your spreadsheet, the ammonia has halved and the nitrite is the same and the nitrate has increased. That means it's working yeh (or your API stress zyme is dealing with it). Looking at the rate of change, you should have 0 ammonia the next time you test the water, with about 6ppm nitrite and 45ppm nitrate.

it's hard to say how much nitrite is being converted because the ammonia is being converted into nitrite and the nitrite is being converted to nitrate (its being increased and decreased at the same time). Once the ammonia has reached 0ppm then you will be able to see how quickly the nitrite is dropping. Once you know this, then you decide whether you need to do anything.

|
|
|
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

6 ppm nitrite is brutal on fish.No better,some argue worse then ammonia!
You need to get nitrItes down to a safe level(for me 1 ppm or under {just like ammonia}).
You need to vac the excess food out ASAP!
Do it gently,do it slowly(over several different attemps) but do it!
To get nitrite to safe level you need to change 50% 4 times.
I wouldn't waste time.
Vac a best as possible;2 gallons , refill
vac another 2 g , refill
again ,and again.
If it takes 2 days well?
Make sure replacement water is dechlorinated and as close to tank temp as possible.
NO MORE STRESS ZYME for now.Let what is in there work.

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Done some vacuuming, replacing ~30% of water. Will do another vacuuming and water change tomorrow morning and test water quality tomorrow evening. Also skipping today's evening feeding.
Flakes seem to be not suitable for my setup. I'll try switching to pellets.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Vacuumed the gravel once more. I must admit, it looks much better now (I fail to take a quality picture, still struggling to find correct camera settings ) . Also pellets seem to actually work better in my setup.

Janitors and gardeners

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 03:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

^^Good deal!!!^^

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenagwynn View Post
Done some vacuuming, replacing ~30% of water. Will do another vacuuming and water change tomorrow morning and test water quality tomorrow evening. Also skipping today's evening feeding.
Flakes seem to be not suitable for my setup. I'll try switching to pellets.
Good to hear things are looking up Clean gravel always makes things look better!

How are the water conditions doing after your WC?

|
|
|
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Today's water conditions: ammonia - 0, nitrite - 5 ppm, nitrate - 35 ppm. Still not too good Will perform another water change tomorrow morning. Maybe there is a lot of muck in the gravel.
Btw, a new clean turkey baster makes a great gravel vacuum for hard to reach areas in a small tank.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Today's water conditions: ammonia - 0, nitrite - 4 ppm, nitrate - 35 ppm. Looks like it's getting better now. Maybe it's because vacuuming and partial water changes, or maybe the second stage of nitrogen cycle starts to work. Or maybe both.
The track of records is still here

Last edited by Brenagwynn; 01-05-2015 at 11:14 PM. Reason: upd
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nitrites have dropped significantly: from 4 ppm yesterday to ~1.5 ppm today. So it seems the second stage of the nitrogen cycle has kicked off.

Last edited by Brenagwynn; 01-07-2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, it is working. Today's nitrites - 0.5 ppm, nitrates are stable.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode