Moen's 75 gallon and 29 gallon journal <Update March 5,2009> - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Moen's 75 gallon and 29 gallon journal <Update March 5,2009>

i figured i would start a journal for the 75 gallon tank i am about to plant and i figured i could just toss up some pictures of my already set up 29 gallon tank. ill start with the 75.

at first the 75 was barebottom growing out my discus but i had a problem with my deion unit and it killed the ten discus i was growing out. but i guess one good thing out of it is i can plant it now instead of this summer so thats kinda good .

Equipment
Pro II 2026
Magnum 350 micron (need to buy)
Tek 48" 4 bulb system (need to buy)
Giesemann midday and flora
Sumo Reg (still need to buy)
substrate PFS and fluorite sand

The 75 i would have done alot of things different looking back now but i did alot of things because i was going to be a discus tank. i got two sub. heaters instead of an inline (may still switch) i did PFS for substate to lighted the substrate to make discus not as dark. if i would have done it again i would get som ADA substrate a custom rimless tank with bulkheads drilled but live and learn i guess.

i wanted this tank to look like SuRje1976's tank with the path down the middle. im going more for stem plants but the same basic shape. i started with a layer of black sand with PFS over top and if the black sand ends up mixing then thats ok im in collage and im sure i will be moving out of my apartment with in a year or two so i can change it then.

Plant List
Ludwigia cuba
Ludwigia repens
Rotala
Blyxa
Micro Swords
Limnophilla aromatica
crypts
bacopa
chain sword
a few anubias
Eriocaulon cinereum
java fern "trident" or "Narrow"
A red plant im thinking Ludwigia Glandulosa but im not sure any input?

Fish list:
not one hundred percent sure but this is what i have so far. i want alot of schooling fish that are not "flashy" like neons or cardinals thats for my 29.
15-20 rummynose
15-20 Harlequin Rasbora
8 rams
5 plecos (not sure what ones yet)
and maybe 8 congo tetras.
any advice on this stock list would be good.

ok now some pics. some of the discus i used to have, the hardscape and one of the plecos i already have. (hes in the 29 now)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0456.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	11117  

Name:	IMGP0530.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	11118  

Name:	IMGP0489.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	11119  

Last edited by MO3N; 03-05-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The 29 gallon

here is my 29 gallon tank.
current fish:
4 neons
alot of shrimp (Cherry)

this tank is about ready for a rescape been set up for almost a year. i am going to do a big rescape once the 75 gets fully set up. its currently just growing alot of my plants for the 75, but it will change to a moss scape with now driftwood and most all rocks covered in moss if i can find a good place to get a bunch of moss.

next to buy for this tank:
once the 75 is set up i will be getting an classic 2215 for this tank and stock it with 15 neons and some Sparkling Gouramis and a few different types of shrimp CRS and CBS well here are a few pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0520.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	11120  

Name:	IMGP0523.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	11121  

Name:	IMGP0524.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	11122  

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The 29 is nice- once it fills in more it should be gold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Your 29 is nice, but I'm really interested in seeing the 75 come around. The driftwood you have in there looks awesome and having a curved path between them would look great. You could even do a planted path (like with Marsilea minuta or other very low-growing gorund cover) .

-Dave
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks. the 29 is just kinda growing alot of my plants for the 75 but i think i will still need to buy a bunch.

the only down side to my path is my sand is not white so its not going to be as drastic but i think it should work. im going to order all the lights bulbs and stuff after christmas so they can get here on the 8th when im back intown.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 02:59 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
the only down side to my path is my sand is not white so its not going to be as drastic but i think it should work.
I think it should work, too. If you line it with plants that have a very different texture/brightness compared to the soil, it will make the path 'pop'. And if you decide to plant the path with a low-grower, just make the adjacent plants very different in texture and color and shape.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm getting an itch to try a path with Marsilea and see how it turns out....if only I didn't have to rip up my scape to do it.....here's where a second tank would come in handy.

-Dave
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just got back from my 3 week christmas break came home to alot of growth on the 29 (will post a picture later tonight) also i am really feeling a rescape for the 29. once i get everything set up for the 75 the 29 is getting a new filter and a rescape. but christmas brought up some un expected bills so money is short it will be about a week or two before i can order the rest of my stuff and get the 75 set up.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok here is a picture of my tank right when i got back. low on water and everything. i will trim it tonight after work and take a few more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0005.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	11469  

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
How much light have you got above the 29 gallon?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

a 2x 24" T5HO its the GLO fixture. i can grow almost anything with that light. but i will be adding another single linear just cause i have it laying around i just need to get a new bulb for it. ill get that bulb when i order all the stuff for my 75.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

here is an update after a quick trim. this time i replanted the tops of my repens caz most of the lower leaves were gone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0002.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	11563  

Name:	IMGP0003.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	11564  

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

also a friend of mine is about to do a plant order so i figured i could get my plants for the 75 since ill be ordering everything else in a few days. this is the list so far.

l. cuba
blyxa jacopa
limnophila aromatica
and im looking for an all red plant i need a little help with a good one. im leaning toward L. gondulosa but some advice would be nice.

also all pants from the 29 will be going into the 75 and im going to rescape the 29 with UG, moss and rotala.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Quote:
also a friend of mine is about to do a plant order so i figured i could get my plants for the 75 since ill be ordering everything else in a few days. this is the list so far.

l. cuba
blyxa jacopa
limnophila aromatica
and im looking for an all red plant i need a little help with a good one. im leaning toward L. gondulosa but some advice would be nice.

also all pants from the 29 will be going into the 75 and im going to rescape the 29 with UG, moss and rotala.

Rotala macandra can be a beautiful all red plant, but it's difficult to maintain. Another of my favorite is Ammannia Gracillis

Patience is the name of the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i do really like the Rotala Macandra but i also heard it was difficult to grow so i figured it best to stay away from lol and the ammannia gracillis is nice too but how low do you have to keep your nitrates to keep it a red color i would rather have a plant that stays red all the time. if there is such a plant. lol
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Quote:
i do really like the Rotala Macandra but i also heard it was difficult to grow so i figured it best to stay away from lol and the ammannia gracillis is nice too but how low do you have to keep your nitrates to keep it a red color i would rather have a plant that stays red all the time. if there is such a plant. lol
True, macandra is difficult to maintain.

I have successfully grown ammannia with nitrate level of 20-30 ppm. They start slow but once they establish their roots, they take off.

Nitrate is not the only concern for maintaining red plants "red". In my experience the most important contributor is light. Sufficient white light is required for the plants to maintain their color. Also periodic dosage of chelated iron helps maintain the color.

Other plants you can consider are red tiger lotus (they a beautiful when you "train" them to grow short) and ludwigia acrurata (these need high lights too and with proper lighting they can grow vigorously and would require period pruning...more than many other plants, to keep them in shape.

The link to my 80 gallon tank pictures in my signature will show both of these from original planting stage to later stages.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode