Dead2fall's new 46 bow front build! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Dead2fall's new 46 bow front build!

Hey all! I've been slowly but surely putting together a 46 bow front. Over the past few weeks I've been purchasing the stuff I need and hunting for hardscape components. Everything is finally starting to come together!

Equipment:
Eheim 2217
36" finnex planted plus
Hydor inline 200w heater
Hydor koralia nano 425 circulator
Diy cerges reactor
Matheson dual stage regulator on a 10#bottle and timer

Here's where I'm at so far with everything.

Under tank shots:

Preliminary hardscape:

Will update when I get some plants in. It's freezing right now so I'm scared to order!

Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks great Scott!

What kind of plants are ya thinkin' about?

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Looks great Scott!

What kind of plants are ya thinkin' about?
Honestly I have no idea. I'm think I'm going to try to stay away from stems for maintenance reasons. Maybe some hair grass to carpet, some longer grasses for rock edges red reineckii(sp?) in some rock cracks and some rhizomes stuffed here and there. As for background I'm not totally sure what I want to do yet. I think a sword or something will defeat the scale of the layout. Maybe some microswords to accent and ??? Lol

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (149/100%)
Microswords would look pretty awesome on the foreground along with some dwarf hairgrass belem mixed in with them a little everywhere on the sides IMO.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Started some planting tonight. Did I mention how much I hate planting dwarf hair grass? Not sure if I like the reineckii cardinalis on both sides like that it's too symetrical. I think I may move it elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1420249818944.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	410650  

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Did some more planting last night! Water is starting to clear up some as well. Chalky water is my fault as I didn't rinse the pool filter sand. My hoses and outdoor bibs are all shut down for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1420395832174.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	411330  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1420395856920.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	411338  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1420395877747.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	411346  

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So I pulled out the DHG. Much of it turned brown and died sadly. What a pain in the butt it was getting it out! I don't think the planted plus was enough light to grow it at 18". I've replaced it as of yesterday with monte carlo and have a second planted plus fixture coming in today, hopefully this helps and doesn't give me an algae farm. The AR mini melted pretty hard as well, I was able to top a tiny bit of new growth from it to replant. It was growing at a crawl, I'm thinking all the dead melted stuff under the new growth was holding it back. I've also lost 3 of 5 downoi plants as well rough start! Most of the anubias are putting out new leaves, the ludwigia, staurogyne porto velho and spiral swords are all doing well. My crypts didn't melt and are doing OK as well. I'm scared to uproot them trimming off the few brown leaves so I'm hoping they'll just come off eventually. Could it be the high levels of ammonia I'm cycling with that's killing plants? Shouldn't be, right?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
sand

What kind of sand are you using for your substrate. I really like the white sand , i am just afraid it will show everything that falls on it. But it looks REALLY nice.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick dale View Post
What kind of sand are you using for your substrate. I really like the white sand , i am just afraid it will show everything that falls on it. But it looks REALLY nice.
Thanks! It's mystic white brand pool filter sand. I didn't choose it, it's just what the pool store I stopped at had. Honestly I could've sworn I smelled some chlorine or something when I poured it in the tank. Personally I wish it was darker. It'll get there eventually when it gets dirty. If/when my carpet grows in I think the stark white will contrast well with the plants bordering the little beach area I've set up.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Tank is finally cycled!!

Added a second planted plus. Things are starting to grow. I think what was going to melt, has. Every anubias in the tank is putting out new leaves. Some are putting out multiple leaves at once. Most of the dead/dying crypt leaves have dislodged themselves and it is looking better. The monte carlo I replaced the dhg with is holding on. I can't tell if it's growing or not there's too much to keep track of lol, but at least it's not dying. I topped all of the staurogyne and only kept the growth that was acclimated to my tank. I'm letting it root before I trim it down. I have more stems and some other plants coming very soon to fill in some background space. Seeing some diatoms here and there, they're either popping up in patches and dying out, or the 3 nerites I put in there are doing work. I'm talking a patch there one day, COMPLETELY gone the next. No trace. Tossed in some RRF I got from aquabid too.. There was duckweed all in with it and I didn't realize trying to keep on it but ugh! Also looking into purchasing a reefkeeper system. Anyway I'll shut up. Pics!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422397245464.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	421282  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422397255998.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	421290  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422397276992.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	421298  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422397304244.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	421306  

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

forgot one lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422397468797.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	421346  

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 07:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can always pull up a stem and see if there growth on the monte, it looks fine to me though. What about amano shrimp in the tank? Great clean up crew and they're hardy for the start of a tank. Otos are great down the line too.

Got any close up of the your Co2 system? I can't quite see what that needle valve is... how you liking it? How the solenoid?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Added some new friends tonight and removed the juvy endlers and platy! There's an electric blue balloon ram in there too but he's in hiding.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422495404092.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	421978  

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
You can always pull up a stem and see if there growth on the monte, it looks fine to me though. What about amano shrimp in the tank? Great clean up crew and they're hardy for the start of a tank. Otos are great down the line too.

Got any close up of the your Co2 system? I can't quite see what that needle valve is... how you liking it? How the solenoid?
Yeah I think it's growing just fine honestly. Looks like more than I planted so it's coming from somewhere lol! I have nowhere nearby to purchase anything other than ghost shrimp sadly. Otos are on the schedule, just going to let things mature and stabilize a little more before adding a shoal. There will also be a shoal of a dozen or so sterbai cories, two koi angels from Bushkill(thanks!) and potentially cpd's if I can source them. My phone is dead so I have no flash, but I'll grab pics of the reg in a bit. I absolutely love it.

Edit: regulator pics as requested, sorry crap cell is all I have!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Added another 3 harlequin rasbora today to bring the school to ten, 6 otos and 5 sterbai Cories. Took the gourami out as he has constantly harassed everything in every tank I've put him in. Also got a few bunches of scarlet temple, ludwigia peruensis and ammania gracilis in the mail from the Bay today. Not looking so hot honestly. I really can't even tell what's what as they all look terrible and the same right now. Stuck them in the beach area of the tank in hopes they grow out some immersed growth for topping.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode