5.5 gallon rimless AGA journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking 5.5 gallon rimless AGA journal

I wasn't happy with my 3g eclipse (mainly because i kept scratching the acrylic and the filter is crap) so i decided to upgrade to a 5.5g aga. I have a 5.5g derimmed and i just built a hood today which is pretty crude but it will get the job done.

Here's a list of the some of the future specs:

-filter: tom rapids mini canister filter
-lighting: 20 watts of 6500k lighting (may up it to 26w if co2 isnt necessary)
-substrate: either eco complete or flourite (it depends which one my lfs has)
-plants: marselia minuta, downoi (hopefully), and that's all the plants i know i want for sure...got some thinking to do.
-livestock: some microrasboras (maybe 5-7?) and 2 otos.
-ferts: flourish comprehensive and flourish iron
-co2: flourish excel

Thats all i have planned so far. I'm hoping to get this tank setup within the next week and a half. Time for pics. Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

The tank

The hood (excuse the quality because it was made with basic tools). It will be painted black with a 10g hood fixture retrofitted and chrome tape everywhere on the inside.

The ridges holding the hood on the lip of the glass.

The tank and the hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
with using a hood I think I would have left the trim on. also at 20 watt you may need to use a DIY CO2 setup excel may not be enough. I run 26 watts over my Mini M which is almost the same size as the AGA 5.5 which I have aswell; I rund Pressurized CO2 on that.

Craig
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Algae Grower

Hey, I just started a 5.5 rimless, too! I like the hood, but maybe take the legs off and try to suspend it...or make a stand that holds it above the tank. It sort of takes away from the rimless look.
Also, could you not get the bottom trim off? Mine wasn't too bad, but I think it would look better if the whole thing was rimless. Although, with the bottom on you don't have to worry about what it is sitting on.

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Craig: thanks for the suggestions. i thought about leaving the rim on but i think a hood wont take away from the overall appeal too much. plus i plan on trying to take the legs off and suspend the hood eventually when i get settled into my new apartment/house next semester.

I'm hoping excel will be enough but we'll see. If things start getting out of control i'll probably switch to a DIY co2 system.

leodeal: thanks for the comments. like i mentioned before i'm hoping to suspend the hood in the future but i'll just have to wait and see. I didn't even try to take the bottom rim off because I found the top one to be hard enough. Plus, i'll be moving this tank between home and college about 1-2 times a year so i need all the protection and support i can get for the car ride. I just took a look at your 5.5 and I must say your off to a great start. keep it up!

Anyways I finished painting and wiring the hood today so i have some pictures of it doing it's thing on the tank. Here ya go:

I forgot to post a couple pictures of the inside of the hood all finished so here you go:

Off

On

Last edited by hilikus16; 12-20-2008 at 08:08 AM.
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
cool Idea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks chon!
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So i finally got this tank all set up after i got a few supplies for christmas. Here it is:

I left some room near the rocks because I want to add some downoi around them. I'll be adding rotala rotundi in the back left corner tomorrow as well as some dwarf sag somewhere. I'm also thinking about adding a few rocks to the right side with some blyxa behind them to balance the tank out. Let me know what you'll think because I'm very open to suggestions.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well i added a few plants and a few more rocks to try to balance out the tank.

-current plants-
rotala indica (it might be rotundi but it was labeled as indica)
crypt wendtii red
sagittaria
crypt lucens
marselia minuta

-future plants- i left some room on the right side for some blyxa and some room all along the rocks for some downoi...now i just need to get my hands on some *wink wink*

Let me know what you'll think. Thanks!

FTS

Angled

Left Side

Right Side
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
wow I like it.. very nice looking setup. Looks like you did a good job derimming it too.. I cracked my 5.5 a little bit when I did that =X

Like someone said before.. I would've left the rim on if i was going to put legs on it. The hood looks GREAT painted black. I bet you can't even see it when the lights are off in the room. I would try to suspend it though, I think it would look even hotter.

Good job dude
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks down shift!

I do hope to suspend the fixture eventually but for now it's gotta be on legs. And ya you can't see it too well when the room is dark so i'm fine with it.
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Not a whole lot has changed besides the water clearing up but here's an update anyway. I moved the filter intake and spraybar to the left side because i like the water flow better that way. I also added the fish from my 3g after checking my parameters; this includes 2 otos and 2 rummy nose tetras. The tetras will be moved to my brother's 29g tank when i leave for college but the otos will be comming with me. When i get settled in back at school i plan on buying a school of harlequin rasboras or one of the boraras species (prob 5-6 fish). Also, i believe my crypt wendtii reds are melting but this was kind of expected...anyways here's the pics so let me know what you'll think:

FTS

One of the otos just hanging out
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:48 AM

your tank looks AMAZINGGGGG
i have the same exact tank, with filter, diy hood and light, and heater and its curently a freshwater but i really want to turn it into a planted tank just like that i have a few baby mollies in there can you please help me like what i need to convert it i have gravel but i want the actual planted substrate?? what is that called? and one more question WHAT IS THE GRASS i've allways wondered like the little grass looking stuff on the bottem please helpp thanks NICE TANK AGAIN
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp2012 View Post
your tank looks AMAZINGGGGG
i have the same exact tank, with filter, diy hood and light, and heater and its curently a freshwater but i really want to turn it into a planted tank just like that i have a few baby mollies in there can you please help me like what i need to convert it i have gravel but i want the actual planted substrate?? what is that called? and one more question WHAT IS THE GRASS i've allways wondered like the little grass looking stuff on the bottem please helpp thanks NICE TANK AGAIN
Thanks! I have eco complete but there are a number of aquatic soils out there. I highly recommend getting rid of the gravel and getting some kind of a soil with nutrients in it- im noticing a huge difference now that i've switched to eco complete. I'm assuming your asking about my foreground plant? That's marselia minuta...one of many foreground plants.

Anyways here's and update on my tank:

I got my plants in today as well as a few extras and i also made the move back to school. Here's the tank all set back up!.

Current plants include:
-rotala rotundifolia
-crypt lucens
-dwarf sag
-java fern
-blyxa
-downoi
-dwarf hair grass
-marselia minuta
-1 unidentified plant

I hope you'll like it. It's time to sit back and watch it grow!

post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:59 AM

thankkk you
yeah i want a driftwood and some nuitrent substrate i'd probbaly go with eco-complete do i need co2 and/or what chemicals etc. i might even put sand in the middle a little bit to make it look like a path or something idk thats still a maybe im not to sure but is there anything else i need? because i really want my tank lookin like yours it looks super cool
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp2012 View Post
thankkk you
yeah i want a driftwood and some nuitrent substrate i'd probbaly go with eco-complete do i need co2 and/or what chemicals etc. i might even put sand in the middle a little bit to make it look like a path or something idk thats still a maybe im not to sure but is there anything else i need? because i really want my tank lookin like yours it looks super cool
Thanks again! So far i've been happy with eco complete so i highly recommend it. I have heard of a cheaper alternative called Schultz Aquatic Soil or something like that?- You can find it at home depot or lowes from what i hear. As far as CO2 goes, that depends on how much light you have. I have 20w and i use Excel which seems to be sufficient. I'm thinking about upping my tank to 26w but that might make it necessary for CO2...which i really dont want to deal with.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode